Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brighter future of the two?
Atlanta 94 47.47%
Seattle 104 52.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times

Advertisements

Housing prices and everything else are usually just symptoms of why a place is expensive. Usually the cause of those symptoms is a growing economy. Sure, QOL is a factor, as is desirability. However, there cannot be demand for housing (much less expensive housing) if there are no good paying jobs.

Atlanta has about 5.5M in the metro while Seattle has about 3.7M. GDP is pretty close between the two cities, despite the difference in size. I'm guessing jobs are the overarching factor for the difference in housing price. And I'm guessing that the secondary factors for why downtown is more desirable in Seattle is because it has a more traditional, centralized downtown with solid amenities and a great topographical location. More condensed, causing more demand. Seems pretty straight-forward. Atlanta is a sun belt city and built very differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Housing prices and everything else are usually just symptoms of why a place is expensive. Usually the cause of those symptoms is a growing economy. Sure, QOL is a factor, as is desirability. However, there cannot be demand for housing (much less expensive housing) if there are no good paying jobs.

Atlanta has about 5.5M in the metro while Seattle has about 3.7M. GDP is pretty close between the two cities, despite the difference in size. I'm guessing jobs are the overarching factor for the difference in housing price. And I'm guessing that the secondary factors for why downtown is more desirable in Seattle is because it has a more traditional, centralized downtown with solid amenities and a great topographical location. More condensed, causing more demand. Seems pretty straight-forward. Atlanta is a sun belt city and built very differently.
I definitetly agree. Without the desire to live anywhere and that desire would include ammenities, jobs etc., no matter the space constraints prices wouldn't go up as high.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-07-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 10:22 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I could see Fargo being on the higher end.
The types of people moving to Seattle vs. New Orleans is different.
I hear about people wanting to move to Seattle more then SD.

Its obvious you like to discredit desirability when looking at costs associate with specific cities because your precious Atlanta is cheap. Written all over your face man.
Is not a desire to live well and cheap not something people want?It is for me.That is why I live here. There is nothing in Seattle that is worth the money.
Value is a strong desire so thats no secret.Why would I want to live beyond my means in a city with not the greatest weather?
Atlanta is not "cheap".Seattle is expensive .More so than most cities.
What does "different types of people" have to do with anything regarding our discussion?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

Atlanta has about 5.5M in the metro while Seattle has about 3.7M. GDP is pretty close between the two cities, despite the difference in size. I'm guessing jobs are the overarching factor for the difference in housing price. And I'm guessing that the secondary factors for why downtown is more desirable in Seattle is because it has a more traditional, centralized downtown with solid amenities and a great topographical location.
Quote:
More condensed, causing more demand.
Seems pretty straight-forward. Atlanta is a sun belt city and built very differently.
This is what i saying earlier.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I definitetly agree. Without the desire to live anywhere and that desire would include ammenities, jobs etc., no matter the space constraints prices wouldn't go up as high.
Well then you also have to agree that this is the case for cities from Atlanta to Dallas to Houston.The only difference that there is more land and less constraints.

The number one reason people move is because of jobs,followed closely by "a good place to raise children",Education,Family ties and Cost of living all in that order.
The suburbs of Seattle are still more populous than the center so theses reson,one can see it is true.This is no less true for Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Well then you also have to agree that this is the case for cities from Atlanta to Dallas to Houston.The only difference that there is more land and less constraints.

The number one reason people move is because of jobs,followed closely by "a good place to raise children",Education,Family ties and Cost of living all in that order.
The suburbs of Seattle are still more populous than the center so theses reson,one can see it is true.This is no less true for Atlanta.
I definitely agree. Thats why the more desirable areas of Atlanta i.e. midtown, buckhead, virginia highlands etc are more expensive. This logic works for every location just on different scales. Some cities/locations are more desirable then others thus causing prices to be higher. If a location didnt warrant a "cool" factor on top of the other reasons you listed, to it then the demand wouldn't be there for supply to be constrained thus inflating costs.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I definitely agree. Thats why the more desirable areas of Atlanta i.e. midtown, buckhead, virginia highlands etc are more expensive. This logic works for every location just on different scales. Some cities/locations are more desirable then others thus causing prices to be higher. If a location didnt warrant a "cool" factor on top of the other reasons you listed, to it then the demand wouldn't be there for supply to be constrained thus inflating costs.
So what was so wrong about what I initially said?When I made that initial statement I was refering to Seattle as I would Atlanta.
IF Seattle is more popular than Seattle its because of jobs.San Diego has everything else Seattle has but much better weather.
So demand in Seattle is driven by good jobs otherwise it would be Portland.(Uh ohh.Maybe I should not have said that?lol)
Anyway,Its true.Im not suggesting that Portland is bad in anyway ,but it last the cosmopolitan way of Seattle.
Its like Atlanta vs Nashville or Charlotte.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
So what was so wrong about what I initially said?When I made that initial statement I was refering to Seattle as I would Atlanta.
IF Seattle is more popular than Seattle its because of jobs.San Diego has everything else Seattle has but much better weather.
So demand in Seattle is driven by good jobs otherwise it would be Portland.(Uh ohh.Maybe I should not have said that?lol)
Anyway,Its true.Im not suggesting that Portland is bad in anyway ,but it last the cosmopolitan way of Seattle.
Its like Atlanta vs Nashville or Charlotte.
Its not only jobs man! (Don't know if youre a woman). People are attacted to Seattle for its culture, walkability, amenities that an urban core provides, topography etc. The way you were putting it is that Seattle is only expensive due to land constraints which is false and now youre saying its only because of jobs.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:34 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Its not only jobs man! (Don't know if youre a woman). People are attacted to Seattle for its culture, walkability, amenities that an urban core provides, topography etc. The way you were putting it is that Seattle is only expensive due to land constraints which is false and now youre saying its only because of jobs.
I think that jobs and geography (the physical size/configuration of the city as well as topography) are probably the two main factors. The most comparable city I can think of within the Sunbelt on this front is probably Charleston.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that jobs and geography (the physical size/configuration of the city as well as topography) are probably the two main factors. The most comparable city I can think of within the Sunbelt on this front is probably Charleston.
Maybe I run in a different circle. Not alot of people I know move only for jobs especially if the place is expensive and doesn't provide the qualities they want in a city. Most of my friends like me move to cities that provide them with what they want i.e. culture, amenities, weather etc. Jobs just happen to be more plentiful in these desired locations.

But by your logic I have no clue why people would ever move to places like SF, NYC, DC. Its not like they cant find IT, Finance or Fed jobs in places like Raleigh, Atlanta or Charlotte where you can afford a buttload more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City