Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brighter future of the two?
Atlanta 94 47.47%
Seattle 104 52.53%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
"Cooler" for who? I don't believe many blacks and hispanics view Seattle cooler than Sunbelt cities such as Atlanta, DFW and Houston.
Enough of "who" to drive up prices, especially that can afford it. Doesnt matter what color you are. Dont bring race into this. Plenty of Asians seem to like it and they are the smallest minority as well as having the most inhibitors to being succesful as they are usually first generation in this country or children of refugees.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-07-2016 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
In a smaller city inbetween Austin and San Antonio.....why?
Because your statement makes more sense now.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thanks. I enjoy our banter because your comments usually make me think. Othella or othello just annoys me with his/her boosterism of Atlanta and why its cheaper then Seattle. Believe it or not Seattle is seen as a cooler city in the US pysche then Atlanta. If not then why shouldnt we all move to places like Atlanta where its cheaper to live.
Dude.I have not boosted atlanta with anything more than facts.I just find it odd how you dont even know Atlanta that well yet you are in every post being the hater of Atlanta like so many CD people.
This is a "Versus" thread so what do you expect there will be bias but I have not lied about anything. Ive even conceded things that were obviously true.

Just because I like a city does not mean I cannot see its faults but you and some others act like Seattle is the second coming of cities and there is no way anybody likes Atlanta for Atlanta.We just cant possible "want or desire to be in Atlanta"
Thats ridiculous even though I can accept why you love Seattle better.
Why do I have to be on defensive because I choose to live here?

Why I have not said one negative thing about Seattle yet posters on here continuously make little snide remarks about Atlanta?Im the booster because im setting the record straight?Yeh right.Whatever you need to make yourself feel better about your agendas.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 07-07-2016 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
"Cooler" for who? I don't believe many blacks and hispanics view Seattle cooler than Sunbelt cities such as Atlanta, DFW and Houston.
And see you are right but I was trying not to go there because then people try to potray Atlanta ias only popular with blacks which is totally false.
Since you went there Ill add that Seattle is definitely a place where whites overwhelmingly love to move but blacks Hispanics give Seattle little thought.
Atlanta has a fair share of blacks ,whites and hispanics,Its not a knock but there is truth to this in the Census reports.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 07-07-2016 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Atlanta is probably more important for curing and controlling new outbreaks like the next big virus. Seattle, due to the Gates Foundation, Fred Hutch, and a lot of other organizations, is probably more important in curing and preventing pervasive diseases like malaria and cancers.

As for mass transit, Atlanta has more trains but Seattle has much higher transit usage in the census commute stats.
And genetic work with certain Seattle companies that several large western cities partner with in finding cures to many diseases. And early diagnostics for others.

I've done some private contracting for a subsection of Neuro at the CDC. I'm grateful we have the CDC doing all that they do collecting data and studying what they do beyond infectious diseases. The treatments developed largely by certain Seattle companies is futuristic, IMO. I've also contract worked with some Seattle companies.

We need both. Let's appreciate both.

I like your post, m hays.

MSR

Old 07-08-2016, 04:48 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Enough of "who" to drive up prices, especially that can afford it. Doesnt matter what color you are. Dont bring race into this. Plenty of Asians seem to like it and they are the smallest minority as well as having the most inhibitors to being succesful as they are usually first generation in this country or children of refugees.
"Especially that can afford it", SMH..

Like that's some virtue to be proud of. My city is soo "cool"and "desirable" that only the wealthy can survive here.

Interesting documentary on HBO called San Francisco 2.0. Basically, it goes into detail about how SF's tech boom is changing the fabric of the city. How the free-spirited, eclectic, artistic and unique nature of the city is being washed away by the real estate developers and tech crowd.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Enough of "who" to drive up prices, especially that can afford it. Doesnt matter what color you are. Dont bring race into this. Plenty of Asians seem to like it and they are the smallest minority as well as having the most inhibitors to being successful as they are usually first generation in this country or children of refugees.
Thats not what he said.Whats the big deal with acknowledging that some places will attract certain minority groups more than others?
Yes Asians and Whites are as crazy about Seattle as are blacks are about Atlanta.
Asian are the largest minority in Seattle so what to you mean?

Its a valid point i also said earlier,many you are playing up that Seattle being so expensive like its a good thing.Its great its economy is a high tech one but you cant maintain a solid middle class for long.
My Aunt and Uncle moved from there 20 years ago because it was too expensive

Old 07-08-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Thats not what he said.Whats the big deal with acknowledging that some places will attract certain minority groups more than others?
Yes Asians and Whites are as crazy about Seattle as are blacks are about Atlanta.
Asian are the largest minority in Seattle so what to you mean?

Its a valid point i also said earlier,many you are playing up that Seattle being so expensive like its a good thing.Its great its economy is a high tech one but you cant maintain a solid middle class for long.
My Aunt and Uncle moved from there 20 years ago because it was too expensive
Its cool. Youre right. Enjoy your day.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
"Especially that can afford it", SMH..

Like that's some virtue to be proud of. My city is soo "cool"and "desirable" that only the wealthy can survive here.

Interesting documentary on HBO called San Francisco 2.0. Basically, it goes into detail about how SF's tech boom is changing the fabric of the city. How the free-spirited, eclectic, artistic and unique nature of the city is being washed away by the real estate developers and tech crowd.
This isn't anything new. At one point Detroit was the "it" city and was an expensive place to live. Who knows if SF will go down the same path? I dont know. But its not news that the most popular cities all over the world are also the most expensive, theres a strong correlation with whats considered a cool/hip/trendy city and the higher costs that come with it.... I honestly can't think of any cities that are in the same peer group as SF, NYC, LA, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, Sydney etc.. that are affordable.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Its cool. Youre right. Enjoy your day.
Likewise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City