Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Houston 56 60.87%
San Jose 36 39.13%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM

661 posts, read 690,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut View Post
Yes, the loads of green that you are seeing in Houston is coming from many types of trees. The natural landscape of the Houston area has greater tree diversity than that of the SF Bay Area, and the same applies for the cultivated areas as well. The poster TheFlats had to go off to (select) natural wilderness to try to find something even remotely exciting, meanwhile, I just click random spots in Houston, and find vegetation just as/or even more exciting.
Haha yeah buddy, you just happened to click on Montrose (beautiful area btw) and just happened to click on outer Richmond in San Francisco (which is definitely less tree laden than SJ). My link to Saratoga isn't wilderness, rather is emblematic of the ring of beautiful leafy San Jose suburbs. I could have linked to the Rose Garden area in city limits for you if that was the requirement. Almost all of your San Jose links (until I gave up) were in newly constructed cookie cutter suburbs with young trees. Very selective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:55 PM

62 posts, read 69,049 times
What exactly is the debate going around here? If Houston is greener than San Jose? I would be surprised if it wasn't.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:12 PM

661 posts, read 690,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy_Eggo View Post
What exactly is the debate going around here? If Houston is greener than San Jose? I would be surprised if it wasn't.
Eh, pee pee poo poo my city is better than yours. CvC. Let us nerds have our fun

Old 02-04-2016, 06:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy_Eggo View Post
I believe the issue is Houston being at a disadvantage by not being completely strewn with an exotic assortment of flowers and fruit trees. Because these are things most people actually care about, you know.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:56 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I believe the issue is Houston being at a disadvantage by not being completely strewn with an exotic assortment of flowers and fruit trees. Because these are things most people actually care about, you know.
I simply made an observation that I continue to stand by and WipeOut is feverishly trying in vain to counter what I stated, but he's failing miserably.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:45 PM

172 posts, read 208,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Haha yeah buddy, you just happened to click on Montrose (beautiful area btw) and just happened to click on outer Richmond in San Francisco (which is definitely less tree laden than SJ). My link to Saratoga isn't wilderness, rather is emblematic of the ring of beautiful leafy San Jose suburbs. I could have linked to the Rose Garden area in city limits for you if that was the requirement. Almost all of your San Jose links (until I gave up) were in newly constructed cookie cutter suburbs with young trees. Very selective.
No man, I clicked random spots for both SF Bay Area and Houston, and ended up with those respective views. The Saratoga neigbhorhood is leafy, no doubt, but that is as great of leafiness you are going to get in the San Jose area, looking from Google Earth.

My purpose in posting those views, though, wasn't so much about the leafiness as it was about the search for the supposed "loads of flowers and fruit trees," that were "everywhere," according to 18Montclair. But as it turns out, he/she was talking out of the rear-end on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I simply made an observation that I continue to stand by and WipeOut is feverishly trying in vain to counter what I stated, but he's failing miserably.
Nope, you are too busy talking out of your rear-end to realize that you've just been owned in this debate. All your arguments have been countered as I've:

1.)Shown that the SF Bay Area falls behind Houston for biodiversity, in terms of total species richness.

2.)Demonstrated that fruit trees and flowers weren't "everywhere and all year," in the SF Bay Area. While there ended up being some flowers and fruit trees, there wasn't anything particularly exciting or exotic about the gardening, at least, not to the extent you hyped it up to be.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
^^^Ive lived a long time in both California and Texas. I know Houston pretty well, and what Montclair is saying isnt incorrect. Texas gets green and lush from all of the rain especially Houston. The difference is in the Bay Area, the weather is such that ANYTHING will thrive in their climate, so there isnt a dominant landscaping style. Where if you go through a Houston neighborhood, almost every home will look the same. Same trees, same plants, same flowers. If you drive around California cities its more diverse.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 AM

172 posts, read 208,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^^Ive lived a long time in both California and Texas. I know Houston pretty well, and what Montclair is saying isnt incorrect. Texas gets green and lush from all of the rain especially Houston. The difference is in the Bay Area, the weather is such that ANYTHING will thrive in their climate, so there isnt a dominant landscaping style. Where if you go through a Houston neighborhood, almost every home will look the same. Same trees, same plants, same flowers. If you drive around California cities its more diverse.
There is great diversity in the landscaping of Houston gardens, just that it is easy to get distracted by the magnificent green canopy of many neighborhoods. Too the untrained eye, yes, it can all look like "the same green all around," but in actuality, the green is coming from multiple types of trees. And if you look at the biodiversity maps I posted earlier in this thread, you will find that Houston naturally has more diversity in trees than the Bay Area.

I've already explained how draconian HOAs are in many areas of Houston, such that they always enforce the same landscaping theme, and will ticket anyone who gardens in such a way even slightly deviant from the norm. It could be that 18Montclair wound up in some of those neighborhood types, if he/she even went to Houston at all.

And no, not everything will thrive in the Bay Area climate.

Last edited by Wipe0ut; 02-05-2016 at 12:37 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 12:30 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
You can't grow (edible) avocados in the Bay Area. And Houston has more to offer than San Jose...16 years in the Bay and I never found a reason to visit SJ more than once. Other than a Sharks game or a concert at HP Pavilion, I can't imagine why someone from SF or Oakland would visit SJ unless they had friends/family there.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You can't grow (edible) avocados in the Bay Area. And Houston has more to offer than San Jose...16 years in the Bay and I never found a reason to visit SJ more than once. Other than a Sharks game or a concert at HP Pavilion, I can't imagine why someone from SF or Oakland would visit SJ unless they had friends/family there.

Bay area certainly has avacado trees, and farms south of SJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City