Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:16 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times

Advertisements

Got the idea for this thread because I am a huge fan of Wawa, a convenience food/gas station chain primarily located here in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast (though they have now opened a few stores in Florida). It is a huge deal in this area, and often supplants Starbucks/Dunkin' Donuts as the go-to place for coffee (enough that there is a free coffee day every year, in addition to semi-frequent $1 coffee promotions).

So what area has the best franchise in your travels/day-to-day life? To simplify things a bit, these chains also don't have to be strictly regional; they just have to be something less than a full-blown national deal like Applebee's or Wal-Mart (so Jack in the Box or even Tim Hortons would be acceptable answers, since they don't cover everywhere). Also, don't feel like you have to limit yourself to just food franchises.

Finally, if a chain started off regionally, but has since expanded to a decent national presence (does 500+ sound good?), or has a decent footprint in all major Census sub-regions, then it doesn't count. So Five Guys is off the table, but Zaxby's is a credible answer.

Last edited by qworldorder; 02-09-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Baltimore has Royal Farms, very similar to Wawa except it's menu items consist mostly of chicken, but basically the same set up as Wawa, and is in direct competition with Wawa. Royal Farms has also infiltrate the DC and Philly metros.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore has Royal Farms, very similar to Wawa except it's menu items consist mostly of chicken, but basically the same set up as Wawa, and is in direct competition with Wawa. Royal Farms has also infiltrate the DC and Philly metros.
Good one, I know all about Royal Farms--they're pretty big in downstate Delaware ("Slower Lower"). It's not bad at all--I just prefer Wawa's coffee/menu items more, but Royal Farms is very popular for its fried chicken, which I don't think Wawa even does. Never knew it originated in Baltimore, either.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Papa Murphy's just bought a family size pizza for 12 Dollars. Every Tuesday all large pizzas are 10 dollars and family size 12 including Chicago style stuffed crust over 5lbs.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Good one, I know all about Royal Farms--they're pretty big in downstate Delaware ("Slower Lower"). It's not bad at all--I just prefer Wawa's coffee/menu items more, but Royal Farms is very popular for its fried chicken, which I don't think Wawa even does. Never knew it originated in Baltimore, either.
Yea, RF has been around for 60+ years, but has really blown up in recent years. Do you have High's in your neck of the woods? That is also a Baltimore based chain.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Yea, RF has been around for 60+ years, but has really blown up in recent years. Do you have High's in your neck of the woods? That is also a Baltimore based chain.
Yea, they've opened quite a few in Delaware recently. Never heard of High's, though. Don't think that one has made it across the Chesapeake. What does it sell?

Most of our big chains like Acme tend to be Philadelphia based, though some make it down here from places further north (Kennedy Fried Chicken, Boscov's, ShopRite) and even from the South (Food Lion, Waffle House, though that is borderline national imo).

Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I have really come to like Wawa since living here in Jersey.

One regional chain I miss from down south is Zaxby's, which is a fast-food chicken restaurant based in Athens, GA. The chicken and fries are good but the salads are AMAZING.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I have really come to like Wawa since living here in Jersey.

One regional chain I miss from down south is Zaxby's, which is a fast-food chicken restaurant based in Athens, GA. The chicken and fries are good but the salads are AMAZING.
I'm taking a trip to Williamsburg, VA this weekend just to go to Zaxby's. That's the closest to Baltimore.... 4 hours away.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, they've opened quite a few in Delaware recently. Never heard of High's, though. Don't think that one has made it across the Chesapeake. What does it sell?

Most of our big chains like Acme tend to be Philadelphia based, though some make it down here from places further north (Kennedy Fried Chicken, Boscov's, ShopRite) and even from the South (Food Lion, Waffle House, though that is borderline national imo).
We have all of those brands too: northern egde of the southern chains, and southern edge of the northern chains.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:20 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I'm taking a trip to Williamsburg, VA this weekend just to go to Zaxby's. That's the closest to Baltimore.... 4 hours away.
Man it's serious! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City