Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 09:45 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I will be sure to check it out the next time I'm in town. Cleveland's cultural amenities add a richness and depth you don't find in most midsize cities.
If you have never been the CMA is well worth checking out. But don't expect a top 10 art museum. Still, there is nothing even close in the Southeast. I typically go to Chicago, Boston, DC, or NYC for my museum fixes. Certainly CLE does beat KC on its museums...but KC is rejuvenation at much faster rate, and I think the city just has more growth and a better overall vibe than CLE.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
If the CMA isn't Top 10, then what exactly would constitute Top 10? I can see some NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, LA museums being ahead, but that still wouldn't amount to 10 being in front of it. Cleveland's museum is in the Top 5 in terms of endowment, gathering spaces, arguably the best in terms of technology, and as mentioned it has an incredibly diverse collection that emphasizes quality over quantity. At around 600,000 sq. ft. though, it's around the same size as the Philadelphia Museum of Art or the MFA Boston, and is significantly larger than the Getty Center in LA.

No one is saying that Cleveland=NYC. But your backhanded compliments in this and the other thread suggest that you have something directly against the city.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
If the CMA isn't Top 10, then what exactly would constitute Top 10? I can see some NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, LA museums being ahead, but that still wouldn't amount to 10 being in front of it. Cleveland's museum is in the Top 5 in terms of endowment, gathering spaces, arguably the best in terms of technology, and as mentioned it has an incredibly diverse collection that emphasizes quality over quantity. At around 600,000 sq. ft. though, it's around the same size as the Philadelphia Museum of Art or the MFA Boston, and is significantly larger than the Getty Center in LA.

No one is saying that Cleveland=NYC. But your backhanded compliments in this and the other thread suggest that you have something directly against the city.
The only thing I have against CLE is folks trying to make it look like a big city with "world class" museums when it is a mid sized city with great amenities. I spend a LOT of time in CLE for work, have family there, etc, so I am very well versed in the entire city.

My friend went to RISDY. I would say the CMA is similar to that. Definitely a top 20 American art museum. But certainly a whole league lower than the major top 10 art museums in the US, and certainly the Detroit museum is much better in the Midwest or at least equal (and of course Chicago museums) but gets less hype since Detroit folks are so laid back. I have never been to the art museum in MPLS, but it is also great:

20 Must-See Art Museums in America | Fodor's Travel

Old 05-01-2016, 10:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The only thing I have against CLE is folks trying to make it look like a big city with "world class" museums when it is a mid sized city with great amenities. I spend a LOT of time in CLE for work, have family there, etc, so I am very well versed in the entire city.

My friend went to RISDY. I would say the CMA is similar to that. Definitely a top 20 American art museum. But certainly a whole league lower than the major top 10 art museums in the US, and certainly the Detroit museum is much better in the Midwest or at least equal (and of course Chicago museums) but gets less hype since Detroit folks are so laid back. I have never been to the art museum in MPLS, but it is also great:

20 Must-See Art Museums in America | Fodor's Travel
Nah, Detroit's museums are not equal to those in Chicago's by a long shot.

Cleveland does have a great museum for a city of its size and far, far better in terms of its collection compared to Kansas City and any city that isn't currently a top 5 city in the US at the time--that's a relic of when collections were much easier to develop.

However, overall, given what is and isn't going well for Cleveland and Kansas City respectively, they are pretty much on the same tier. Yea, Cleveland has a lot of great heritage leftovers, but it's a really arguable statement to say it makes up for what's not going so well in the city right now which leaves it in overall about the same tier as Kansas City though I do go with Cleveland overall still.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nah, Detroit's museums are not equal to those in Chicago's by a long shot.

Cleveland does have a great museum for a city of its size and far, far better in terms of its collection compared to Kansas City and any city that isn't currently a top 5 city in the US at the time--that's a relic of when collections were much easier to develop.

However, overall, given what is and isn't going well for Cleveland and Kansas City respectively, they are pretty much on the same tier. Yea, Cleveland has a lot of great heritage leftovers, but it's a really arguable statement to say it makes up for what's not going so well in the city right now which leaves it in overall about the same tier as Kansas City.
No I think you misunderstood. I am agreeing with you...places like Chicago, NYC, etc...their museums are in a whole other STRATOSPHERE. Just the location, the crowds, the feel, the look, the collections, the size, etc.

I do mostly agree that CLE and KC are in the same tier, despite the difference in CSA. Much of CLE's CSA are places no one in their right mind, not even CLE homers, would want to live.

I do think downtown CLE is a bit more vibrant than dt KC at this point. I went to an Indians game recently and it was more vibrant than ever in dt.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Race to the bottom in the dying Western World feature these two municipalities prominently.

Since Herbert Hoover was president, Kansas City has built maybe one 180m skyscraper.

Cleveland is blighted. Just blighted. And the big D hasn't even hit yet.

End of America accelerating before your very eyes? Indeed it is...

Sadly, these two are on the front lines of the coming cataclysm.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:40 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Race to the bottom in the dying Western World feature these two municipalities prominently.

Since Herbert Hoover was president, Kansas City has built maybe one 180m skyscraper.

Cleveland is blighted. Just blighted. And the big D hasn't even hit yet.

End of America accelerating before your very eyes? Indeed it is...

Sadly, these two are on the front lines of the coming cataclysm.
"Repent, repent, the end is near!" Lol.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:07 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You need to understand that some of this is true among people working within the respective professions for those fields, but it isn't true in general. If your definition of being globally renowned is that simple, then sure, but it also doesn't put that many paces between Cleveland and Kansas City.
Simple??

Just as with the Met, but on a much smaller scale, an immense amount of resources, devotion and skill went into developing the CMA.

If there were a ranking of U.S. art museums, I don't know how many would be between the CMA and Nelson-Adkins. It is true that there are many cities, even numerous states that don't have a museum as good as Nelson-Adkins.

That doesn't diminish the reality that there is a significant gap between the CMA and the Nelson-Adkins.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I do mostly agree that CLE and KC are in the same tier, despite the difference in CSA. Much of CLE's CSA are places no one in their right mind, not even CLE homers, would want to live.
What a pretentious and ignorant comment. There's no way that you've visited, or even lived in much of the Cleveland CSA.

I could take the worst community in several counties in the Cleveland CSA and they are not bad places to live, despite perceived poor schools, etc., compared to many places in the U.S. yet the world.

There is even an extraordinary neighborhood in a failed city like East Cleveland.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
If you have never been the CMA is well worth checking out. But don't expect a top 10 art museum.
Actually, this is an inaccurate statement. A case could easily be made that the CMA is a top 10 U.S. art museum.

Forum readers have to understand that you are a person who once argued that Louisville had an art museum comparable to the CMA.

Just ponder the significance of this Barron's article on America's most wealthiest museums, which ranks the CMA eighth. As noted in the article, this listing doesn't value the collected art.

Billionaire Art Museums - Barron's

Newcomers such as Crystal Bridges or even the Getty have a difficult time matching the collections of even a museum such as the Detroit Institute of Arts, even though the DIA's physical plant isn't one of the best. Note that the DIA, the CMA, and the Nelson-Adkins are among the few U.S. museums that have a Caravaggio. There are none in Philadelphia, Washington, DC, or in Philadelphia. There are none on the West Coast.

Caravaggio Paintings in America | Caravaggio Gallery

The CMA has among the great collections of Asian, pre-Columbian, Medieval European, and textiles in North America. It also has among the best physical plants and cutting edge technology.

Your knowledge of art museums is paltry IMO.

What I will say is that cities with MULTIPLE excellent museums are extraordinary, and in this regard, NYC, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, Los Angeles and Boston are definitely world centers of art, well above Cleveland, which, in turn, despite your protestations, is overwhelmingly superior to the likes of Louisville and superior to a KC, which does have an excellent museum which provides a good reason for art lovers to visit KC.

Northern Ohio is rich in art museums, however, with very good museums in Toledo and Youngstown, and an exquisitely small one in Oberlin, and a good regional museum in Akron. Combined with the CMA, there likely are not 10 states (I can think of only 7-8 quickly, including DC) in the U.S. that could match or surpass the heft of just the northern Ohio art museums.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-02-2016 at 04:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City