Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 12:47 PM

511 posts, read 402,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
New Orleans has some very nice areas and I love going there. You sound like you'd make enough money to afford the nicer parts of town, like the Garden District. Just like almost all the high-crime cities in this country they can be avoided. For an example you don't live in Southside Chicago, or East St. Louis. New Orleans is also just as concentrated with their crime to its Eastern edges I believe, can't remember what ward for the life of me.

NOLA is a thriving town, lots of people moving there and is beautiful. I think you need to check it out.

Yeah, I've always wanted to spend some time there to get a vibe of the place.

Though, in terms of moving there, I'm really worried that the scene there is all sludge/stoner/doom kinda stuff, and I'm gonna have a hard time finding like-minded musicians being more tech/proggy. Job market too, I'm not finding much of a focus on the consumer market product stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 01:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Miami. You need to spend more time there. Big arts scene from the art district to the performing arts centers to Sunday afternoons at South Beach high end hotel pools with their techno music and beautiful people open to the public. This is going to be the most sophisticated of any mentioned. Lots of young people from around the country and the world active in community events. Easy to become involved. Lots of new downtown growth too. That's my suggestion.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Miami. You need to spend more time there. Big arts scene from the art district to the performing arts centers to Sunday afternoons at South Beach high end hotel pools with their techno music and beautiful people open to the public. This is going to be the most sophisticated of any mentioned. Lots of young people from around the country and the world active in community events. Easy to become involved. Lots of new downtown growth too. That's my suggestion.
I don't understand. I don't see what South Beach and the techno scene (which I thought was more of a Detroit and Chicago thing... back in the day) have to do with anything.

Are you saying there is a decent progressive/tech metal scene there as well? I've always been under the impression that Tampa Bay and Orlando have superior heavy music scenes. I know nothing about it. What venues are down there these days?

Old 05-21-2016, 02:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
You appear to be doing this all wrong. I can be described as a polymath though I do have a specific engineering degree. But as you get up in the tech world you go where the jobs are.

So get your resumes out there and find out who wants to pay you what you are worth or deal you a hand at making a few million. Once you see what that looks like you can let the other factors into the equation. There may not be very many good opportunities so you may have to wait or take something less than you like.

If you are thinking of going the music route as a career then a different story perhaps. Move to the best scene for that and find whatever job you can until the music thing clicks.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You appear to be doing this all wrong. I can be described as a polymath though I do have a specific engineering degree. But as you get up in the tech world you go where the jobs are.

So get your resumes out there and find out who wants to pay you what you are worth or deal you a hand at making a few million. Once you see what that looks like you can let the other factors into the equation. There may not be very many good opportunities so you may have to wait or take something less than you like.

If you are thinking of going the music route as a career then a different story perhaps. Move to the best scene for that and find whatever job you can until the music thing clicks.
Yeah, but that's how I ended up here in a town full of middle-class-white-trash who act like SoCal millionaires, and a place that really doesn't host any of my hobbies/interests to much of an extent. There's this thing called work-life balance. I'm not really looking at making a "few million"... just making ends meet with a bit to spare and save, and enjoy my life while I'm doing it.

I've got no regrets, but I'm in a place where I'm more flexible now so I'm seeking something more balanced. I'm doing pretty decent just contracting as it is and I can do that from anywhere. I don't have to buy a house and lock myself down anywhere in particular. I just know Phoenix sucks for progressives/alternatives. It's a place for townies and I just don't fit here. It's not like this is a consumer product hub, either. There's a better than average startup sector, but that's about it. I'm not married to doing any one thing in particular, either. I'd be more than happy to take on music production stuff, web dev stuff, whatever.

I mean, where do you as an engineer see the big physical/consumer product markets being at? To me, they seem pretty evenly distributed across major metros to me, unlike things like automotive, aerospace, software, energy, etc. that have specific concentrations.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 05-21-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 03:33 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Hey there fine peoples, here's my story:

I'm a 39 year old, single, college educated, childless, late bloomer (no help there from the great recession) male who just spent the last four years cultivating a great career opportunity that came up here in Scottsdale, Arizona. That's run its course: I gained a lot of experience & elevated my job title... but the company has hit some serious rough waters of late due to rampant mismanagement, so I've decided to move on to other opportunities... and honestly, outside of my career, I'm not having a great time living here.
I lived in Arizona and your basically in the epicenter of women. I have never seen as many women as when I went to Scottsdale.

It seemed as though they had everything type of women moving there from all of the country because of the Scottsdale mentality and sunny weather.

Arizona in general isn't big on creative things like music. Sure they have festivals, but most people who move to Arizona are introverts that want to left alone.

I think it was informative hearing about the rough waters the company facing. It seems like alot of start-up's with no profit just running on venture capital move to Arizona from California and say they will expand into the next big company and it doesn't pan out as they planned.

I think Florida is good for singles in general. I know you mentioned Tampa Bay and I noticed there are alot more single people there then other areas of the country. Floridians are far friendlier then most of the country which came as a suprise to me.

I think the one thing is with Florida is that it might not have many jobs in your occupation as other areas you described but it has an excellent cost of living and is extremely underrated.

I have also heard the female to male ratio is very high in Atlanta and that is a good city for creative types. I have not ever been to Atlanta though.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I lived in Arizona and your basically in the epicenter of women. I have never seen as many women as when I went to Scottsdale.
It depends on what you're looking for. I've been here in North Scottsdale (basically working adjacent to an open air shopping center) and what you have is a lot of aging trophy wives/moms, or trophy-wives-to-be who are looking for some rich sap to subsidize their shopping-centric lifestyle; and then you've got a bunch of younger girls (most likely Scottsdale daughters) that you'd basically have to card first... or are straight up underage. Keep in mind a lot of women (and men) you see here during the winter half of the year are vacationers and not even an option on the table anyway.

What you don't have is many post-grad, professional mid-twenties to late-thirties single women. They pretty much don't exist. A lot of my co-workers would grind on about how "great" the women situation was around here but I never saw a single one of them have a flirtatious exchange with any woman the entire three years I worked here... and we were all healthily salaried professionals. The status bar is so high for women up here, it's a joke. I never got anything either (other than the occasional Starbucks girl flirting), but then I probably look like a "lazy hipster" or something to most of the cobwebs around here.

You can go to Tempe, too, but it's a similar situation: A lot of college girls from all over, but really it's school/party phase for them, and 95% are outta here as soon as they graduate. As you get off into the burbs, it's flatbiller country and the women get lower-middle-class real quick, and are pretty much only looking for bros with trailers full of quads to build Brady Bunches with in cookie-cutter houses in Mesa, Glendale, Peoria, etc. That ain't me, so I'm pretty much garbage to them.

Quote:
Arizona in general isn't big on creative things like music. Sure they have festivals, but most people who move to Arizona are introverts that want to left alone.
Seems so for sure. I can't tell you how much energy and effort I've put into going to MeetUps, hitting up people in forums, at bars, coffee shops and how no one follows through on doing anything. Most of my friends here aren't "Arizonans", and are about 43% happy living here.

Quote:
I think it was informative hearing about the rough waters the company facing. It seems like alot of start-up's with no profit just running on venture capital move to Arizona from California and say they will expand into the next big company and it doesn't pan out as they planned.
That's the V.C. cycle, yes. It is a good place for it. Taxes are low, ideally located office space is cheap, professional labor is fairly inexpensive (mainly because cost of living is so low, six figures is killer income here) and available, the airport is accessible, so on, and so forth.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 05-21-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 04:58 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
My point about Miami is that it is much more of an international city than any of the others. Thus it has a wider range of artistic options available than you will find elsewhere.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 PM

594 posts, read 698,650 times
A metro of 5 million and you haven't had a date in 2 1/2 years and you blame Arizona ?????
There's WAY more woman then men.And Arizona is known for the over abundance of BEAUTIFUL women. From Scottsdale to Tempe.ASU was voted to have the most beautiful women in division 1 college.
Arizona has been called a lot of things, but I've yet to read a post in city - data about someone who visited and complained about the lack of women.
You cannot go anyplace in Phoenix metro without being sized up and visually accosted by these ravenous ..... cuties.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
My point about Miami is that it is much more of an international city than any of the others. Thus it has a wider range of artistic options available than you will find elsewhere.
That's very true and something to keep in mind. However, are specific music scenes really driven by diversity and international status? Or are they products of local momentum? Or perhaps even isolation from a melting pot scenario? Portland, Austin, and Minneapolis are hardly large, international, or culturally diverse... and have very healthy, and more importantly, creative music communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
A metro of 5 million and you haven't had a date in 2 1/2 years and you blame Arizona ?????
There's WAY more woman then men.And Arizona is known for the over abundance of BEAUTIFUL women. From Scottsdale to Tempe.ASU was voted to have the most beautiful women in division 1 college.
Arizona has been called a lot of things, but I've yet to read a post in city - data about someone who visited and complained about the lack of women.

1. The male-to-female populations here are almost exactly 50/50.

2. I never complained about the lack of women. In fact, I wholeheartedly affirm your claims about women at ASU above... and I also mention above that they're not really in a phase of their lives that's lines up with mine. A good majority of ASU students leave the state after they graduate to settle down somewhere else. Young people want to go to party school no.1. They don't want to live in Arizona. Also, I'm not a 20-year old kid. My qualm was a distinct lack of post-college professional women in their mid-twenties through their thirties and a lack of a gentry-type culture that professional adults mill about, make friends, and couple up in. It doesn't exist here.

Quote:
You cannot go anyplace in Phoenix metro without being sized up and visually accosted by these ravenous ..... cuties.
That has not been my experience. Heck, people avert eye contact at all costs around here. Like the poster said above, it's a very introverted culture where people simply want to be left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City