Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is more desirable?
San Diego 103 57.54%
Washington DC 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times

Advertisements

I'd say DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
Beach beats humidity all day long

Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Sorry but what is desirable about DC? People live there because they have to for work. I don't know a single person who has lived in DC for more than a few years. They all had positive and negative opinions but none stayed. They saw it as a place to put in your dues and climb the ladder. Plenty of people scrape by to survive in SD because it's SD. How many people do that in DC, other than for employment purposes?

I was not impressed with the people or the city during my visits there, but did appreciate the public transit and good food.

I actually vastly preferred Baltimore to DC. Way better quality people, cooler and less pretentious neighborhoods.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
San Diego

And for me it's not even close.

I love to visit DC but San Diego is much more desirable to live...
I mean the climate is to die for.

Washington DC climate....I'm only envious of their earlier/warmer springs,
and I live in Canada! ....their summers suck and DC winters are not San Diego

Old 08-19-2017, 07:25 AM

76 posts, read 69,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Sorry but what is desirable about DC? People live there because they have to for work. I don't know a single person who has lived in DC for more than a few years. They all had positive and negative opinions but none stayed. They saw it as a place to put in your dues and climb the ladder. Plenty of people scrape by to survive in SD because it's SD. How many people do that in DC, other than for employment purposes?

I was not impressed with the people or the city during my visits there, but did appreciate the public transit and good food.

I actually vastly preferred Baltimore to DC. Way better quality people, cooler and less pretentious neighborhoods.
I do think cultural amenities and offerings matter which is why NYC is such a desirable area. San Diego is quite sleepy but a cute town. Yes, the weather is great and the scenery (by the coast, not too much a fan of what you see East of the 8). For raising a family it's quite splendid but for "Yuppy Life" it's basically a desert.

Also, schools are better in the D.C. area which should be a consideration when raising a family.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 AM

76 posts, read 69,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Beach beats humidity all day long
Well if your whole goal is to be by a beach, there are better places than San Diego. Places with better beaches (easier access to them), and better "beach weather." As splendid as San Diego's weather is, it leaves basically a 2-3 month window where you can comfortably go to the Beach. Maryland beaches have the same window.

Boiling down San Diego to beaches and D.C. to humidity is asinine.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
San Diego for sure. D.C. Is great, but I think of SD as more or a dream destination for people to live/visit

Old 08-19-2017, 09:53 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:

I've been around the country, and lived in a couple of other states briefly. There only about 4 other cities in America that I would line up next to DC with regards to my personal desires, NYC, LA, Miami, and Las Vegas. DC is an amenity filled city and metro area. This is glaring whenever I leave the area, many places I visit just seem like something is either missing or just not quite "enough" to satisfy my interests. What bumps DC up is the metro area surrounding it, location on the East Coast, four season weather, and many other amenities. The high cost of living and high wages cancel themselves out. I find it actually kind of funny actually when people talk like you are about DC, because I'm simply looking at it from the opposite view. Like really what is DC and its surrounding metro missing?

DC is simply a larger metro than SD. Believe it or not, there are probably more people "scraping" they're way to top in DC, and most of them are African American. The DC your speaking of and the DC that many natives know are entirely different things.

Many people can go to a city one time and come away feeling unimpressed. There have been multiple major cities I visited and left with the same impression, but to each their own.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I've been around the country, and lived in a couple of other states briefly. There only about 4 other cities in America that I would line up next to DC with regards to my personal desires, NYC, LA, Miami, and Las Vegas. DC is an amenity filled city and metro area. This is glaring whenever I leave the area, many places I visit just seem like something is either missing or just not quite "enough" to satisfy my interests. What bumps DC up is the metro area surrounding it, location on the East Coast, four season weather, and many other amenities. The high cost of living and high wages cancel themselves out. I find it actually kind of funny actually when people talk like you are about DC, because I'm simply looking at it from the opposite view. Like really what is DC and its surrounding metro missing?

DC is simply a larger metro than SD. Believe it or not, there are probably more people "scraping" they're way to top in DC, and most of them are African American. The DC your speaking of and the DC that many natives know are entirely different things.

Many people can go to a city one time and come away feeling unimpressed. There have been multiple major cities I visited and left with the same impression, but to each their own.
I think this is a reasonable comment. I don't think DC is undesirable, but I think it's a bit overvalued. SD's economy is not that great yet it still commands huge prices and people often really scrape by there. DC also commands huge prices but that's because there is a ton of money there with the high level government positions, contractors, and a robust private sector.

I know quite a few people who migrated to DC and it was all for work. I also know quite a few people who migrated to SD and work was often secondary. SD with its climate and outdoor opportunities makes it highly desirable even though it's a lesser city in many ways.

DC does have nice cultural amenities, but I'm not sure what sets DC apart from a cheaper city like say Chicago or Philly in terms of amenities, other than its location.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I know quite a few people who migrated to DC and it was all for work.
Believe it or not, some people move to DC for work and they were specifically looking at jobs in DC because that's where they wanted to be. I'm not disputing SD's appeal due to its geography and climate but I just wanted to provide a little balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City