Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: All around the most diverse, most global, most international, and most cosmopolitan Midwestern city
Cleveland 36 25.53%
Pittsburgh 18 12.77%
Saint Louis 34 24.11%
Milwaukee 7 4.96%
Cincinnati 7 4.96%
Indianapolis 8 5.67%
Columbus 9 6.38%
Kansas City 13 9.22%
Buffalo 0 0%
Rochester 0 0%
Grand Rapids 0 0%
Des Moines 0 0%
Omaha 4 2.84%
Madison 3 2.13%
Louisville 2 1.42%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:33 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times

Advertisements

Honestly, no one but the residents of these cities, cares. You know how often you all think about Milwaukee? That's about how often people think about Cleveland, St. Louis, Cincinnati, etc. I'm so tired of reading about Cleveland's orchestra, museums, hospitals, etc., that I have a bias against that city, and I've never been there. Same feelings starting about Cincinnati...who thinks about Cincinnati? No matter what companies are headquartered there, it doesn't matter to anyone living outside of Cincinnati. My point can be illustrated by the fact that I'm sure people aren't sitting around thinking of Omaha and Berkshire Hathaway, either. People just, really, don't give one.....unless it's their own city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 02:25 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I see we're at it again. Before being dragged into this gentlemanly grudge match any further, a few things need to be said, some of which I've voiced before:

(a) I agree that we're on the same page, at least concerning the global importance of our two cities. On the global yardstick analogy I used earlier, Cincinnati and Cleveland are jockeying for international status down in the bottom 6-inch range of the yardstick - but, then, so are all the other Midwestern poll cities not named Chicago, Detroit, or Minneapolis. And, whatever term is flippantly employed to describe this allegedly invisible region (whether it be called Midget Land, Middle Earth, The Dead Zone, or Flyover Country, etc.) only on a truly global scale may any of our cities be considered insignificant.

(b) Even though I've acknowledged the Cleveland win, I've also labeled it a hollow victory, but then, who cares? What I say matters not, I don't wish to be labeled a sore loser, and I probably need to just reenter my life away from my computer screen. And, as for yourself, do you realize that our prolific pollster-happy OP has already initiated another poll with Cleveland's name on it? Ah, just the mere mention of Cleveland atop a new poll has already activated the Cleveland homers, sending them all into a renewed feeding frenzy. Same as it ever was. As for myself, not only have I grown tired of repeating things here, but I also realize in doing this, that I'm becoming a real bore myself. At this late stage of the game, many forum members are just firing off anything they feel like saying, whether relevant or not. Where the thread will now lead, nobody knows. An analogy: take the letter Y, top it with two more Y's, then repeat until exhaustion occurs. So many threads end up this way.

(c) No matter what I say here, it won't change poll results. The "poll part" of this thread was clinched within the first two or three days in the usual way C-D polls are all decided. Homers and advocates, thinkers and idiots - all quickly and automatically vote for the city of their choice, and any following activity is nothing more than a meaningless mop up operation. (And, wherever has there ever been a poll, except on C-D, where a voter's choice is made public?!)

(d) Your insistence that I rely too heavily on Cincinnati's strong business suit to wing it and make it appear more important than it really kinda implies this: the name "Cincinnati" may be mentioned, but only as a backdrop for any city but it. In a nutshell, isn't that the case here, where several forum members have strongly insisted that I start a separate thread concerning business alone, and maybe then, not even that of global business? Hamstring Cincinnati by minimizing its strong suit; involve it in a thread especially tailored to cut it down to size, while also clearing off all the damage it caused on the community playing field you're all on right now - the focus on Berkshire Hathaway does that oh so beautifully! Why doesn't someone (oh please, someone!) seriously consider starting another thread entirely? How about you?
Don't care about the polls here.

Everyone's cool with your criteria, guy. Just doesn't sound like what the OP was going for. Start that thread if you want to argue it that much. I'm pretty sure you just didn't know that much about the scale difference between Berkshire and any other company, but now you do! So you totally got something out of this, congratulations are in order.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:05 AM

63 posts, read 63,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would include those three cities. They fit in better with this grouping of cities than with any other in the U.S.
I don't think I have ever heard a reason for that fallacy that I wouldn't consider silly, so I doubt I will hear any from you. That's probably worse than identifying DC/Baltimore as Southern in my book. And probably best to avoid both arguments here in a place like this forum.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:19 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyWhatt View Post
I don't think I have ever heard a reason for that fallacy that I wouldn't consider silly, so I doubt I will hear any from you. That's probably worse than identifying DC/Baltimore as Southern in my book. And probably best to avoid both arguments here in a place like this forum.
Longitudinally, Pittsburgh is east of the entire state of Florida. But sure, let's put it in the Midwest.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:51 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
If Pittsburgh and Buffalo are considered Midwest, than Wichita should be considered Southern and Boise, West Coast. Hell, go throw Toronto in the Midwest, too!

Old 06-11-2016, 04:08 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Pittsburgh isn't a Midwest city. Or, is it, Pittsburgh posters? If not, it shouldn't really be a part of this discussion, unless Pittsburgh posters agree that it's in the Midwest.
They can agree its part of the moon, it still won't change geography. Pennsylvania is a northeastern/Mid-Altantic state, and every city in it, regardless of how influence it has from Ohio, is still within the Mid-Atlantic region.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Don't care about the polls here.

Everyone's cool with your criteria, guy. Just doesn't sound like what the OP was going for. Start that thread if you want to argue it that much. I'm pretty sure you just didn't know that much about the scale difference between Berkshire and any other company, but now you do! So you totally got something out of this, congratulations are in order.
^ Your post invites a response - primarily because I'm asking you to sideline further discussion of Berkshire Hathaway. Whether you're actually using it as a red herring to divert heat away from Cleveland, I don't know, but it needs to go.

And that word "everyone" needs to also go. Sadly to say, it refers to only us; everyone else has either left the theater or fallen asleep in one of the back rows. Face it, the play's over and virtually our entire audience has charged up the street to attend one of Red John's latest poll-powered spectacles. Therefore, to save ourselves any further embarrassment from performing to an empty house, all we need do is simply exit the stage, remove our make up and allow a janitor to lock up. As a matter of fact, later on this evening, I'm heading up the street, myself, directly to the C-C THEATER, where the name "Cincinnati" is up there in marquee lights! A short play it will be, but it will be entertaining.

And this... Need I remind you that the OP's original criteria groupings were ever so disorganized, therefore leading us directly into our dispute now? Had things been carefully worded, tightly organized, and presented separately as individual threads, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now to Berkshire Hathaway... Your dwelling on the scale difference between BH and any other company, especially Procter & Gamble alone, isn't the knockout punch you wish it to be and only parries my own knock out punch concerning the scale difference between Cincinnati and any other poll city, as specifically as focused on international, globally important business and culture combined. You can discuss BH-vs-P&G all you want, but eventually you'll have to combine everything else; when that time arrives, well tell me all about it.

Quite bluntly, any village idiot can exclaim, with absolute certainty, that BH makes bazillions of $$ and that it's one very, very important company, at least in America. However, upon any closer examination of how its monumental magic is done, the fun really begins. Tell me just how many people in the world (including almost anyone in Omaha) can intelligently explain in detail just how BH creates its immense revenue or how it enters the personal surroundings of millions of worldwide citizens? Then, right after that, ask this same group of people the same set of questions, but change the company name to P&G.

Truly, it's evident that more homework is due on your part before any congratulations from me. Come back to the table if you must, but not before having separated the wheat from the chaff concerning the true global importance of each city's F500 companies. Then add GE Aviation and all Cincinnati cultural international assets to the mix. I don't see how a debate like this could ever continue after you do this. I really don't.

Last edited by motorman; 06-12-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
^ Your post invites a response - primarily because I'm asking you to sideline further discussion of Berkshire Hathaway. Whether you're actually using it as a red herring to divert heat away from Cleveland, I don't know, but it needs to go.

And that word "everyone" needs to also go. Sadly to say, it refers to only us; everyone else has either left the theater or fallen asleep in one of the back rows. Face it, the play's over and virtually our entire audience has charged up the street to attend one of Red John's latest poll-powered spectacles. Therefore, to save ourselves any further embarrassment from performing to an empty house, all we need do is simply exit the stage, remove our make up and allow a janitor to lock up. As a matter of fact, later on this evening, I'm heading up the street, myself, directly to the C-C THEATER, where the name "Cincinnati" is up there in marquee lights! A short play it will be, but it will be entertaining.

And this... Need I remind you that the OP's original criteria groupings were ever so disorganized, therefore leading us directly into our dispute now? Had things been carefully worded, tightly organized, and presented separately as individual threads, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now to Berkshire Hathaway... Your dwelling on the scale difference between BH and any other company, especially Procter & Gamble alone, isn't the knockout punch you wish it to be and only parries my own knock out punch concerning the scale difference between Cincinnati and any other poll city, as specifically as focused on international, globally important business and culture combined. You can discuss BH-vs-P&G all you want, but eventually you'll have to combine everything else; when that time arrives, well tell me all about it.

Quite bluntly, any village idiot can exclaim, with absolute certainty, that BH makes bazillions of $$ and that it's one very, very important company, at least in America. However, upon any closer examination of how its monumental magic is done, the fun really begins. Tell me just how many people in the world (including almost anyone in Omaha) can intelligently explain in detail just how BH creates its immense revenue or how it enters the personal surroundings of millions of worldwide citizens? Then, right after that, ask this same group of people the same set of questions, but change the company name to P&G.

Truly, it's evident that more homework is due on your part before any congratulations from me. Come back to the table if you must, but not before having separated the wheat from the chaff concerning the true global importance of each city's F500 companies. Then add GE Aviation and all Cincinnati cultural international assets to the mix. I don't see how a debate like this could ever continue after you do this. I really don't.
Pretty simple--if you need a guarantor of getting Cincinnati in the most favored position, make your own topic. But also make sure that you don't accidentally have it constructed so that one of the options accidentally nails down the criteria you're trying to use to favor Cincinnati (i.e. don't go by global business and effect alone without specific restrictions and then accidentally include Omaha and Berkshire Hathaway). Remember, you wanted to put the emphasis on global importance via global companies at the expense of pretty much everything else. I thought the question was more comprehensive and evenly weighted.

Anyhow, with the right criteria, you can definitely make a topic that works for you and Cincinnati! I believe in it, you, and Cincinnati!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty simple--if you need a guarantor of getting Cincinnati in the most favored position, make your own topic. But also make sure that you don't accidentally have it constructed so that one of the options accidentally nails down the criteria you're trying to use to favor Cincinnati (i.e. don't go by global business and effect alone without specific restrictions and then accidentally include Omaha and Berkshire Hathaway). Remember, you wanted to put the emphasis on global importance via global companies at the expense of pretty much everything else. I thought the question was more comprehensive and evenly weighted.

Anyhow, with the right criteria, you can definitely make a topic that works for you and Cincinnati! I believe in it, you, and Cincinnati!
Please complete the homework I assigned you and return it in fully corrected - otherwise, I won't be able to congratulate you for anything at all.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Please complete the homework I assigned you and return it in fully corrected - otherwise, I won't be able to congratulate you for anything at all.
That's a paid service and I have no reason to render it to you unfortunately. I don't see how being long-winded and intimating you know more by assigning someone "homework" can really work out as a winning strategy here. Maybe it'd help if you tried to reiterate your criteria and then go through and stack all these cities up in detail. I think the issue I'm having is that your insistence that something is simply better, but without any real explanation. For companies, annual revenues, total value of assets, etc. are pretty concrete (and where if you looked this up, can glean at least part of why Berkshire is so important and why your remarks about red herrings seem ill-conceived). Number of foreign residents or primary speakers of this or that language is pretty concrete. Looser are things like university rankings, hospital rankings, Fortune/Global 500 ranking place or global sales/viewers or more general popularity polls of certain sports leagues or sports teams. Even looser are using ip addresses from different regions and then looking up popularity of city names or names or things related to that language in different languages.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-12-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City