Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,664 times

Advertisements

What cities in the US have a unique and very noticeable energy? Like when you arrive there you really FEEL it and there is just something in the air and it has a unique energy to it?

Here are my cities:

NYC: I don't think if have to go into much detail here, but the energy you get here is a center of the world one, with people from all over the world are there, and hustle and bustle like no other.

LA: Not a city I am a big fan of but it has the special energy as well. I am not sure of it's positive, but I would say it's a very eclectic energy. Kind of like you arrive and say "you are not in Kansas anymore".

Las Vegas: The bright lights, gambling, fakeness and the fact that everyone there is for a good time, give Vegas a very positive and festive energy. I don't like Vegas but the energy is one feels like a college town on fraternity row on a Friday night after midterms.

Miami: When you arrive you feel like you are in the mish mash of tropics, Carribbean meet the US. There is something sexy about Miami, and you definitely feel that energy.

New Orleans: The energy here is happy, fun, and there is so much soul in the air.

I feel like those are the only cities IMO that have a unique and vibrant energy when you arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Montreal: Its a mix of European, Quebecois, Canadian, North American vibe, with a very happy, fun energy. I can't explain it, but Montreal has a unique energy that you can't find anywhere else. It's very electric, high tempo, vibrant, non-stop action and theres always something for everyone.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
I think Nashville has a cool energy, though it's mostly around downtown. Walking down Broadway on a warm Friday night is amazing - thousands of people out and about all having fun and happy, the sounds of live music spilling onto the streets from various different bars/venues, neon lights restaurants and shops, it's a pretty cool scene. Admittedly I have not strayed too far from downtown Nashville the few times I've been, but it does have a fun vibe to it. I lived in LA and did not feel any unique energy there, especially compared to NY or New Orleans, or Vegas. Still haven't made it to Miami...one day.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
What cities in the US have a unique and very noticeable energy? Like when you arrive there you really FEEL it and there is just something in the air and it has a unique energy to it.

New Orleans: The energy here is happy, fun, and there is so much soul in the air.
I felt a negative impoverished vibe in New Orleans.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,561 times
Richmond has a really percolating vibe, lots of cool things happening in that town.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Richmond has a really percolating vibe, lots of cool things happening in that town.
Richmond is a nice city, and only getting better, but I can't say I feel a special vibe.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
I would say St. Louis.
We are RADIOACTIVE.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 AM

235 posts, read 330,962 times
In addition to the cities mentioned above, I'd add Charleston, Savannah and Portland Oregon.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I felt a negative impoverished vibe in New Orleans.
Do you visit the impoverished areas when you go?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:31 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Do you visit the impoverished areas when you go?
Right and totally agree. All cities have impoverished neighborhoods, New Orleans more than others, but the core areas of the city have that unique vibe and energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City