Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:30 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Do you visit the impoverished areas when you go?
I have, and will continue to visit. I have been a volunteer at the Essence Music Festival since 2009. Last year I was a part of a mobile health screening unit in the 9th ward. We served hundreds of families through providing dental checks, blood pressure readings, and nutrition education seminars. The poverty in New Orleans is daunting, heartbreaking, and shameful for the city. Although I love the Essence Fest, the city always has a negative run down looking vibe to it. That may be charming for some, but it's not something I could get used to.

Concentrated poverty in New Orleans 10 years after Katrina | Brookings Institution

Meet A Few of Our ESSENCE Festival Day of Service Volunteers - Essence.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 PM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I've been twice and no I don't think it has a unique energy. It has a unique setting for sure but not energy. I'm not saying San Francisco isn't a unique city, it's one of the most unique the cities in the country, energy though isn't. To me SF has an urban energy similar to Bosto or Chicago. It lacks a certain buzz that places like NYC, Miami or even Las Vegas has. A certain energy that when you arrive you know you are going to experience something completely different you feel it in the air, the people and what you see on the streets. SF has a lot of energy but it's not unique energy IMO.

I don't think Chicago or Boston have that unique of an energy either. They are some of the most energetic cities in the US, moreso than Las Vegas or Miami IMO but I don't think that energy and vibe of those cities is unique. Same with SF.

Like when you arrive in Miami there is an exotic, tropical, sexy and Latin vibe. Las Vegas it's a flashy, In your face, fake and crazy energy. SF, Boston and Chicago habe very urban diverse energies but none of them has that unique feel in the air.
See - I disagree. With SF the people and what I saw on the streets was very unique and distinct from places like Boston or Chicago. To me, it is a city that is all about that unique feel in the air - the sense that everyone is crazy yet anything is possible. I can't think of anywhere else that gives off that vibe. Again, I'm basing this on my experiences there in the 90s and early-mid 2000s. Haven't been there since 2007. But unless it has dramatically changed SF has a very distinct vibe and unique character.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:02 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I have, and will continue to visit. I have been a volunteer at the Essence Music Festival since 2009. Last year I was a part of a mobile health screening unit in the 9th ward. We served hundreds of families through providing dental checks, blood pressure readings, and nutrition education seminars. The poverty in New Orleans is daunting, heartbreaking, and shameful for the city. Although I love the Essence Fest, the city always has a negative run down looking vibe to it. That may be charming for some, but it's not something I could get used to.

Concentrated poverty in New Orleans 10 years after Katrina | Brookings Institution

Meet A Few of Our ESSENCE Festival Day of Service Volunteers - Essence.com
The vibe among it's people is one of the few things that evoke positive feelings about New Orleans. If it was the opposite, New Orleans would be in some serious deep doo-doo.

Last edited by Aceter; 06-07-2016 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 12:46 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
I will go first with San Francisco. The smells are fantastic, the sounds are fantastic, and the air is fantastic. Can't beat it.

2nd would be New Orleans. Again, the smells are great and the people are of a different breed. Love it.

3rd, and this may be a surprise, would be Seattle. This city has an electric feel, and I have come to know this as positive and negative ions from the frequent rainfall and storms. Don't diss until you actually experience it!

Old 06-08-2016, 03:21 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I will go first with San Francisco. The smells are fantastic, the sounds are fantastic, and the air is fantastic. Can't beat it.

2nd would be New Orleans. Again, the smells are great and the people are of a different breed. Love it.

3rd, and this may be a surprise, would be Seattle. This city has an electric feel, and I have come to know this as positive and negative ions from the frequent rainfall and storms. Don't diss until you actually experience it!
Gee what a surprise, there's nothing electric about Seattle, I doubt you've traveled much.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 AM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Gee what a surprise, there's nothing electric about Seattle, I doubt you've traveled much.
I disagree. I think that electric is a great way to describe its new energy. Constantly evolving

Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 AM

242 posts, read 1,001,990 times
Anyone know what type of energy you get in Salt Lake City, UT?

Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 AM

102 posts, read 129,406 times
New Orleans for sure. It's so unique and vibrant.

I like the vibe here in Austin too. It's a unique and fun vibe but I can't put my finger on why exactly. I prefer it to Portland which has similar elements. (I'm from Seattle)

Old 06-08-2016, 04:23 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I have to agree - while I liked Seattle, it was not electric. It was chilled out, quiet, but also lurking and breathing. It kind of loudly expresses how mellow it is, if that makes any sense.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
I agree with most of the OP's list, I must note that the two that stick out the most to me are NYC and Miami, there is a worldly vibrant feel about these cities that really cannot be found in any other American city, and I say that knowing that there are a lot of Miami-haters on these forums (I have never understood why)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City