Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:58 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times

Advertisements

List the top 10 most urban 50 square miles in order.

IMO:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. SF
5. LA
6. DC
7. Boston
8. Baltimore
9. Miami
10. Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 10:16 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
List the top 10 most urban 50 square miles in order.

IMO:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. SF
5. LA
6. DC
7. Boston
8. Baltimore
9. Miami
10. Denver
This one is tough. I think San Diego might be higher density based on census tract data, although I think Denver is arguably more urban. That was just based on a quick reference to WalkScore.

I think Boston is likely more urban than DC. I'm not even sure what to think about Baltimore...so many abandoned areas.

Also, where is Seattle? Surely #8 at least...

Old 10-05-2020, 10:49 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Rank by most urban 50 contiguous square miles without a massive amount of "gerrymandering"

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. LA
6. Boston
7. DC
8. Seattle
9. Baltimore
10. Miami

I feel like most lists would be some variation of this one. OP's inclusion of Denver seems odd to me.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Rank by most urban 50 contiguous square miles without a massive amount of "gerrymandering"

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. LA
6. Boston
7. DC
8. Seattle
9. Baltimore
10. Miami

I feel like most lists would be some variation of this one. OP's inclusion of Denver seems odd to me.
Switch Seattle and Baltimore?

Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I would think there would be actual data on density which could make this a fact-based (not opinion poll) thread...

Old 10-05-2020, 11:26 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I would think there would be actual data on density which could make this a fact-based (not opinion poll) thread...
Kinda hard to get the 50 densest square miles of a metro.

I think objectively off data it’d be this

NYC
CHICAGO
SF
LA
PHILLY
BOSTON
DC
SEATTLE
MIAMI
BALTIMORE

Boston and Philly might be tied.

Baltimore loses out because of the abandonment but the actual built environment is extremely dense.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:27 AM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Wouldn't there be various 50 sq mile tracts in surrounding areas of NYC, SF, etc.? I would guess the areas around Hoboken, Jersey City, Newark, etc. would make a denser area than, say, Seattle.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:34 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Cities with a lot of water are probably disadvantaged here, because there can be a dense suburban area across a body of water (Jersey City, Arlington VA, Oakland), but you might not be able to jump straight from the main urban core across the river to pick up those square miles. Depends how big the population units are, I guess --- if we're using census tracts, there might be some tracts on the shore that contain a lot of water but are still over 10,000 ppsm (or whatever) because the land area is so dense.

Seattle is treated especially unfairly here --- you definitely could not "jump" across Lake Washington to pick up downtown Bellevue using census tracts, it's too wide, and you also wouldn't be able to snag West Seattle because it's cut off from the rest of the city by industrial areas where almost no one lives.

In cities like Chicago, the densest contiguous 50 sq mi are more reflective of the metro's actual density.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:02 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Cities with a lot of water are probably disadvantaged here, because there can be a dense suburban area across a body of water (Jersey City, Arlington VA, Oakland), but you might not be able to jump straight from the main urban core across the river to pick up those square miles. Depends how big the population units are, I guess --- if we're using census tracts, there might be some tracts on the shore that contain a lot of water but are still over 10,000 ppsm (or whatever) because the land area is so dense.

Seattle is treated especially unfairly here --- you definitely could not "jump" across Lake Washington to pick up downtown Bellevue using census tracts, it's too wide, and you also wouldn't be able to snag West Seattle because it's cut off from the rest of the city by industrial areas where almost no one lives.

In cities like Chicago, the densest contiguous 50 sq mi are more reflective of the metro's actual density.
Even if you jump straight across the water JC is as densely populated as it gets and it's definitely not suburban. You have to go about 10 miles north of JC to get dense suburban areas directly across the water from NYC. But in the case of Jersey City you can easily jump straight across to pick up these contiguous urban square miles and from there it goes on and on into a mass of urbanity.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
This is an interesting question because 50 square miles of urban is a lot of urban. Manhattan isn't even half of that land area. Also, places like San Francisco aren't completely urban (though no doubt there's people who think that it is). Here are some examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7239...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7478...7i16384!8i8192

Density alone can't be the metric for this conversation either because a nice density metric can be had with the sort of tightly packed suburbia one sees in California and other metro areas where they are constricted by geography, water supply, or both.

For me, I'd have to do a lot of analysis to go beyond the obvious first few of NYC, Chicago, Philly & SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City