Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 10:17 AM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
List the top 10 most urban 50 square miles in order.

IMO:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. SF
5. LA
6. DC
7. Boston
8. Baltimore
9. Miami
10. Denver
This is a good list, but I would swap Denver with New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 10:23 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
By 50 sq mi around core:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4t: Philadelphia
4t: Boston
6. Los Angeles
7. Washington DC
8. Miami
9. Seattle
10. Baltimore

By 300sq mile around the core:
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Philadelphia
6. Boston
7. Washington DC
8. Miami
9. Seattle
10. Baltimore or Denver, not too sure.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:45 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Even if you jump straight across the water JC is as densely populated as it gets and it's definitely not suburban. You have to go about 10 miles north of JC to get dense suburban areas directly across the water from NYC. But in the case of Jersey City you can easily jump straight across to pick up these contiguous urban square miles and from there it goes on and on into a mass of urbanity.
Yea in reference to JC you’re only “jumping across” the Hudson a very short distance.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:39 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Yeah, despite DCs faster growth, Boston's core 50 miles remains denser than DC. Boston seems closer to Philly than DC in that regard.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I was just using the link he gave me.

Those are MSA numbers.

Boston's core 50sqmi is still more dense/urban right now- no matter how you slice it. Day and night. A higher share of the buildings its currently building are multi unit. Lack of developable land is an issue in Boston because its already very dense.

Also much of DC's MSA construction would be outside of that 50 square mile area.

When or if DC passes Boston then it does, until then-it just hasnt.
Did you see the first link I posted? That was multi-family units being added by city proper. The second link I posted was total apartment units in 2018 by MSA. You said that Boston crushes DC in apartments. The point I made was that in the link posted about housing stock is old for all these cities, but especially by DC standards which is adding apartments at a higher rate.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:47 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Did you see the first link I posted? That was multi-family units being added by city proper. The second link I posted was total apartment units in 2018 by MSA. You said that Boston crushes DC in apartments. The point I made was that in the link posted about housing stock is old for all these cities, but especially by DC standards which is adding apartments at a higher rate.
Well isnt DC's land area larger?

If you add in any neighboring town group like Cambridge+Somerville or Revere+Chelsea+Everett, or Quincy+Milton, or Newton+Brookline, or Waltham+Watertown, or Dedham+Needham.. it will be an even playing field.

Or those numbers should be divided by the land area (Sqmi) of the city's footprint. Il calculate those later and see who really is throwing out the most units per square miles (Which is the point of the post)

Old 10-06-2020, 12:02 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
It had a paywall. Everything our saying is about development though. Boston is still just ahead of DC here as of now. I don't see how that's controversial.

Boston literally has 940k people in DC's land area. Why is this even a debate is what I'm saying? really. Were talking a gap of 230k people.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-06-2020 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 12:10 PM

Boston is 695k, 48sq mi
Cambridge is 119k, 6 square miles
Somerville is 81k, 4 square miles
Chelsea is 42k, 2 square miles
Everett is 14k in 1 sqaure mile

Thats 951k people in 61 square miles compared to 704k in DCs 61 square miles.

Resident, I'm speaking from the perspective of having trvaeld to many nooks and crannies of both cities. Boston is currently like noticeably more urban. I gave 3500 uber rides in the DMV...its not as close as you perceive it to be if you think DC is just as urban or more urban.

Especially when you take out the two southern most neighborhoods West Roxbury and Hyde Park and get it down to like 54 square miles. The density is like 19.5kppsqmi.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-06-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 12:35 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It had a paywall. Everything our saying is about development though. Boston is still just ahead of DC here as of now. I don't see how that's controversial.

Boston literally has 940k people in DC's land area. Why is this even a debate is what I'm saying? really. Were talking a gap of 230k people.
It doesn't really work that way though since you are adding areas outside of Boston proper that are more built up to reach 61 sq mi. That's like if I shifted the radius from DC's center and excluded DC East of the Anacostia River, then added the more densely populated Arlington/Alexandria, and the border cities of Silver Spring, Bethesda to reach 900k-1 million in 61 or so sq mi. I mean yea technically an uneven line could be drawn to encompass that amount of of people, but that ain't how the game is played.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
It doesn't really work that way though since you are adding areas outside of Boston proper that are more built up to reach 61 sq mi. That's like if I shifted the radius from DC's center and excluded DC East of the Anacostia River, then added the more densely populated Arlington/Alexandria, and the border cities of Silver Spring, Bethesda to reach 900k-1 million in 61 or so sq mi. I mean yea technically an uneven line could be drawn to encompass that amount of of people, but that ain't how the game is played.
Unbelievable. You’re so dense on this.

If there’s anyway to point to DC being more urban/dense than Boston that doesn’t include projecting as to how many units DC is building vs Boston please feel free.

Until then Boston and the Core of Boston. If you’re looking for the densest 50 square miles is like significantly ahead of DC.

I don’t have to shift the radius for Boston to be more dense than DC.

Cambridge isn’t Boston but it’s obviously the core of the urban area. Honestly you’re just being difficult.

By your logic Boston is excluded entirely because it’s not 50 square miles. As I’ve said I’ve given 3.5k trips all over the DMV to try to say it’s urban core is like Boston’s just don’t true. Full stop. Anecdotally and empirically.

This is the “Mecca mentality” “capitol conundrum” on full display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City