Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the cleanest big city in America?
New York 6 1.48%
Los Angeles 5 1.23%
Chicago 73 18.02%
Washington 33 8.15%
Miami 12 2.96%
Philadelphia 8 1.98%
Boston 27 6.67%
San Francisco 5 1.23%
Dallas 31 7.65%
Houston 3 0.74%
Atlanta 19 4.69%
Detroit 4 0.99%
Phoenix 41 10.12%
Seattle 38 9.38%
Denver 25 6.17%
Minneapolis 75 18.52%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 01:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Chicago is quite clean for a big city. So is Dallas.

The most dirty are San Fran and Portland. Filthy places both.
I wouldn't say Chicago or Dallas look clean, parts perhaps but not overall. Chicago is mostly clean downtown but looks rough overall outside of downtown. It's not like it is completely littered but buildings and houses lack maintenance. I don't consider that clean.

Dallas is a strange city because it completely lacks urban planning and zoning. I've seen a skyscraper next to the hood, McMansions next to a car dealer. It just doesn't make sense. I don't consider Dallas clean overall because of the bad looking hoods which you may find yourself driving into without realizing it. One moment we passed a skyscraper, the next moment we were in a slum.

I found downtown Fort Worth surprisingly clean and good looking. Austin is not that bad either although parts of East and South look scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:14 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I wouldn't say Chicago or Dallas look clean, parts perhaps but not overall. Chicago is mostly clean downtown but looks rough overall outside of downtown. It's not like it is completely littered but buildings and houses lack maintenance. I don't consider that clean.

Dallas is a strange city because it completely lacks urban planning and zoning. I've seen a skyscraper next to the hood, McMansions next to a car dealer. It just doesn't make sense. I don't consider Dallas clean overall because of the bad looking hoods which you may find yourself driving into without realizing it. One moment we passed a skyscraper, the next moment we were in a slum.

I found downtown Fort Worth surprisingly clean and good looking. Austin is not that bad either although parts of East and South look scary.
So you feel viewing street-views of these cities .... you can give a valid assessment of US cities today? After all, you live in Germany and haven't lived in the states for many years even decades. After you did not succeed here and returned to Germany. Yet you post YOU'VE SEEN..... Even seeing these cities many years ago, when in the states. Is not valid today to post as if now from just goggle street-viewing.

Knowing your LOVE of viewing American industrial abandoned areas and blighted areas is a enjoyment and remembering that post you said .... "The only reason you might ever visit the states again .... would be to see Detroit" Clearly for the blight to see... ?

But guess ones opinion can come from any course today. But still to say SEEN should mean a RECENT visit at least.
Then reading a interesting thread just now. I find this post again mentioning Detroit (no I did not search post by you).
Quote:
I had a greencard once but moved back. In retrospect, I would have liked to have lived in Detroit for some time but otherwise no regrets moving back to Europe.
That once was long time ago in the states.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-28-2018 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-29-2018, 09:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times
Quote:
Chicago is mostly clean downtown but looks rough overall outside of downtown. It's not like it is completely littered but buildings and houses lack maintenance. I don't consider that clean.
It's posts like this that makes this website almost unreadable. This is objectively false by any reasonable persons standard.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Minneapolis would get my vote.
Chicago isn't bad at all, especially when you consider it's size. Even the south side can look as clean as the good parts of some cities.
Except that all of the south side isn't bad and there are many all-black areas of the south side that are very beautiful and spotless.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:52 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
It's posts like this that makes this website almost unreadable. This is objectively false by any reasonable persons standard.
When people make those sort of comments, it makes me wonder if they have actually set foot in Chicago or if they spent any real time here. Chicago is a gorgeous city outside of downtown, and is very clean. You have some bad looking areas, but this city is beautiful.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:18 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
When people make those sort of comments, it makes me wonder if they have actually set foot in Chicago or if they spent any real time here. Chicago is a gorgeous city outside of downtown, and is very clean. You have some bad looking areas, but this city is beautiful.
From a European perspective American cities are not that nice or clean. Gritty or rough is perhaps the right description. Grit can be very beautiful and fascinating but some cities just look plain run down. Chicago does have issues, aesthetically and crime wise. Downtown Chicago is a whole different story, I found it very nice. Impressive even with all the skyscrapers.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:41 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
DC is clean to the point that I'll call it sterile. Even the ghettos look clean compared to ghettos in other cities.

Yup.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
I found downtown Fort Worth surprisingly clean and good looking.
Why "surprisingly"?

That's one of the few things people actually know about Ft. Worth. At least on these boards...

Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
From a European perspective American cities are not that nice or clean. Gritty or rough is perhaps the right description. Grit can be very beautiful and fascinating but some cities just look plain run down. Chicago does have issues, aesthetically and crime wise. Downtown Chicago is a whole different story, I found it very nice. Impressive even with all the skyscrapers.
I just got back from Dunkirk, Brussels and Paris. Grit is written all over them. Graffiti on most European cities is everywhere. What are you talking about? There are many Chicago neighborhoods outside the loop which are spotless. You actually need to travel to areas to talk about them.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:54 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
I wouldn't say Washington DC is one of the cleanest, far from it, because the eastern half of the city is extremely run down, especially Anascostia and Northeast DC. There's nothing in newer cities like San Diego, Salt Lake City, Dallas, etc THAT bad.

I'd say the cleanest major cities I've visited were Columbus, Denver, Colorado Springs, Charlotte, San Diego, Kansas City, and Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City