Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the cleanest big city in America?
New York 6 1.48%
Los Angeles 5 1.23%
Chicago 73 18.02%
Washington 33 8.15%
Miami 12 2.96%
Philadelphia 8 1.98%
Boston 27 6.67%
San Francisco 5 1.23%
Dallas 31 7.65%
Houston 3 0.74%
Atlanta 19 4.69%
Detroit 4 0.99%
Phoenix 41 10.12%
Seattle 38 9.38%
Denver 25 6.17%
Minneapolis 75 18.52%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:07 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Uggh, maybe it just is? Maybe the poll is wrong? In addition to my own feelings (and apparently 20+% voting in this poll), the conventional wisdom I've always heard is that Chicago is a clean, spruced up, attractive city. One of Mayor Daley's initiatives was "City Beautiful"... every planter needed flowers and every sidewalk must be clean. That ethos continues today. It may not be the *cleanest* city, but it certainly isn't a dirty city.
Chicago is clean. It's that simple. The fact that some homeless people have children does not at all apply to this conversation, but while we're at it, I'll add that Chicago's homeless population is very limited. Generally, the homeless are guided to the 90 underpass areas, at least as it applies to the northern/downtown parts of the city.

It's hard to ignore how sterile some of the southern cities are, in part because in cities like Dallas, there's very limited foot traffic in it's nucleus. Hard to dirty a street when there aren't people to dirty them.

So, as far as northern/established western cities go, Chicago and Minneapolis make sense to me. Boston is pretty darn clean, though it's neighborhoods can be a bit more rugged and less kept. Same goes for DC. And to the Philadelphia folks gettin pissy about the Chicago folks. As it applies to this thread, you have absolutely zero zilch nada ground to stand on. Philadelphia has a lot going for it, and cleanliness is not one of them. Would anyone in Philadelphia even argue that? When I'm in Phila, I like the idea of getting a tasty meal, a few drinks, popping out on a dirty rugged side street, checking out some live music. Isn't that like, just part of the deal in Philadelphia?

EDIT/Sidenote: San Fran, be better. Two votes is two votes too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times
Minneapolis for me. Lots of good options on this list though.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Phoenix and San Diego are pretty clean IMO. But the fact that SF made your list is laughable. Downtown on Market smells like **** and there's trash everywhere.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:08 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Chicago. NYC is probably the dirtiest!
New York and Chicago are night and day as far as having clean streets. Chicago has alleys where dumpsters are, in NYC, the trash goes right on the street. People in Chicago go out of their way to put trash in the recycle cans, in NYC that is many times not the case, and it goes wherever. Graffiti in Chicago is covered for the most part, I saw so much in NYC, especially in Brooklyn.

I would have to say that Chicago and Minneapolis were the cleanest i have been to, with DC and Boston honorable mentions, NYC, San Francisco and New Orleans the dirtiest.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That person is a troll and trolls specifically me across multiple sub forums.

I can’t mention the word Chicago without 6 block paragraphs of why Philly sucks and Chicago is so great. Just look at the last reply he made in the Philly/DC reputation thread. It near ruins the site for me but I digress.

Chicago isn’t clean. We woke up pretty early every morning and there was trash in puddles, a lot of blocks smelled like pee. It was like any other city I have been too. Just because Chicago has a bunch of 80s office buildings that built planters outside, doesn’t mean it’s ‘cleaner’. The very first person I interacted with in a Chicago on my recent trip was a bum going through the trash INSIDE the airport. Literally on the blue line platform. He asked me for a dollar and than ate some French fries out of the trash. That’s something I had never seen in Philly or NY. I also found it odd how many hobos had children specifically a long Michigan Ave. People will have their pets on the sidewalks with them in Philly, but I have never really witnessed women with children openly begging.

Personally, I find the equivalent areas of DC and Boston to be cleaner. I know all the Homer’s will call foul, but look who keeps repeating that Chicago is “so clean”
Interesting, I have had different experiences during my visits to Chicago. I think DC and Boston are very clean too. Minneapolis is very clean (but we are flirting with the big city status there). Our neighbor Montreal is also extremely clean for a big city.

I also think people like to rag on Philadelphia and how 'dirty' is it, when NYC is by far so much dirtier and downright disgusting at times. Even in some of the best Manhattan neighborhoods I see garbage and nasty stuff everywhere, I did not recall seeing the same amount in Philadelphia's best neighborhoods. The ghetto parts of Philadelphia are very dirty, but that is not unique to Philadelphia. I think NYC and other big cities (cough San Fran) get passes on trash and homeless people, while Philadelphia always gets knocked.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Seattle parks are dangerous due to the multitude of needles you can find all over the place. Suffice it to say, it’s not a clean city and relishes in its grittiness.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That person is a troll and trolls specifically me across multiple sub forums.

I can’t mention the word Chicago without 6 block paragraphs of why Philly sucks and Chicago is so great. Just look at the last reply he made in the Philly/DC reputation thread. It near ruins the site for me but I digress.

Chicago isn’t clean. We woke up pretty early every morning and there was trash in puddles, a lot of blocks smelled like pee. It was like any other city I have been too. Just because Chicago has a bunch of 80s office buildings that built planters outside, doesn’t mean it’s ‘cleaner’. The very first person I interacted with in a Chicago on my recent trip was a bum going through the trash INSIDE the airport. Literally on the blue line platform. He asked me for a dollar and than ate some French fries out of the trash. That’s something I had never seen in Philly or NY. I also found it odd how many hobos had children specifically a long Michigan Ave. People will have their pets on the sidewalks with them in Philly, but I have never really witnessed women with children openly begging.

Personally, I find the equivalent areas of DC and Boston to be cleaner. I know all the Homer’s will call foul, but look who keeps repeating that Chicago is “so clean”
Lies, lies, and more lies.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM

422 posts, read 396,248 times
Minneapolis gets my vote

Old 02-15-2018, 08:31 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Minneapolis would get my vote.
Chicago isn't bad at all, especially when you consider it's size. Even the south side can look as clean as the good parts of some cities.
Dallas is okay too.
Of those not mentioned, Milwaukee gets a nod. Kinda fits in culturally with Chicago and Minneapolis, or somewhere close anyway. It is cleaner than what Rust Belt naysayers might assume.
I've never been to San Diego, but it seems to have a clean reputation.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
I live right outside Minneapolis, Denver is much cleaner and nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City