Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city overall
Baltimore 11 7.48%
Charlotte 9 6.12%
Chicago 44 29.93%
Boston 31 21.09%
Houston 19 12.93%
Seattle 19 12.93%
Pittsburgh 14 9.52%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 PM

96 posts, read 147,104 times

Advertisements

1. Seattle
2. Chicago
3. Charlotte
4. Baltimore
5. Houston
6. Boston
7. Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:58 PM

40 posts, read 41,292 times
For me:

1) Chicago
2) Boston
3) Seattle
4) Charlotte
5) Baltimore
6) Pittsburgh
7) Houston

Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 PM

45 posts, read 53,545 times
1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Seattle
4. Pittsburgh
5. Charlotte
6. Baltimore
7. Houston

Old 09-08-2016, 08:49 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
You have it all wrong; people aren't friskly running to avoid heat in Houston, like they do to avoid winter cold up north. Instead, they take their time, allowing for a great leisurely vibe. People not only go outside in summer to exercise (outdoor basketball, football, water sports, etc), but also just to have a good, leisurely time in general (enjoying food on a patio, shopping, taking a stroll, etc). Even if a summer day is too hot/humid, there are always the cooler evenings to allow those things to take place.

You will not see such pure leisure and enjoyable ambiance in a winter in any of those other cities (except, maybe, Charlotte). The atmosphere is just too rushed and frisky, since people are shivering from cold, and want to get to a warm place.

The thread you linked does not show anyone disagreeing with me; they are just discussing where in the US it starts to get consistently hot and humid during summer.
What Houston are you talking about? I go there for work sometimes (and lived there briefly as a kid) and got all kinds of looks when I said I was going to walk from my hotel to the office (about a mile). Certainly some people go out and enjoy the heat and humidity in Houston, but lots go from air-conditioned house to air-conditioned car to air-conditioned office and back. In Boston they stand out in the cold waiting for the bus or walking a mile home, even in winter, and painstainkingly earn the right to complain and be miserable.

It really comes down to preference, though. I grew up in Baton Rouge (close to Houston weather) and VASTLY prefer cold to hot. You can always put on another coat, or a hat, or a balaclava, but you can only take off so much clothing before the police start getting called. Others are basically cold-blooded and can't move until it warms into the 80s. Arguing about which is better is a bit like arguing if red is better than blue.

If you ask me, the worst thing about Boston climate-wise is the 5AM summer sunrise and the 4PM winter sunset.

Last edited by jayrandom; 09-08-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 11:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Too many choices, so I picked Chicago.

Also, Chicago is in a totally different league than any of the others. So it wasn't fair.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:17 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I think Boston tops the list. Resin being is crime is low compared to other cities mentioned. May or may not feel you get the best bang for your buck. However, feel in New England Mass and Boston suburbs offer up a lot of properties. Mass is the 3rd lowest and 3rd highest State for taxes in New England. It's property cost are average can find a decent 3 bdr for $200K to $250K in a nice suburb of Boston or North Shore. Jobs pay towards the average COL, offer credit if you use public transportation, and decent transportation services. Good colleges/universities are abound. Not too far from the outdoors and great place to kayak/swim in Boston Harbor. Can easily run or bike in the area. Great beaches are nearby. Can find some of the best shopping and food near or in Boston.

Only downside is winter's in Boston, which is only 4 month's of the year.

I pick Chicago as second, Seattle for third, Charlotte/Houston tied for fourth, Pittsburgh for fifth, and Baltimore has sixth.
Yea, the late 90s were a great time.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 AM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina21 View Post
1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Seattle
4. Pittsburgh
5. Charlotte
6. Baltimore
7. Houston
the best....

1. NYC (Metropolis)
2. LA (still, the most underrated American city edging out Boston by a hair)
3. San Francisco (the steadfast American city)
4. Chicago (From Loyola University in Roger's Park to Lincoln Park to the Magnificent Mile's beautiful towers, this is IT).....
5. Boston (the 2nd most underrated city in all of America)
6. Miami (rising)
7. Seattle (see Miami)
8. Sunn Diego (La Jolla, USCD, North County, endless epic surf, and beaches etc)....
9. Philadelphia (Society Hill, the parks, closeness to Jersey Shore, etc)
10. Portland, OR

Honorable mention; nobody

watch this....
[vimeo]177573762[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/177573762/96b9093b33

Old 09-10-2016, 02:16 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
Can't speak on Houston since I haven't been there but agree that most people can tolerate the heat better than the extreme cold. In Charlotte there are plenty of people still out biking, running, walking, etc, during the summer, and it's not like it stops feeling like summer once summer is over, over here. Summer is technically over but it's still been 97 degrees all week, and people are still out. Pretty sure if people are still out and about in Charlotte they probably are in Houston which has more water access. If it gets cold in one of those cities, you are essentially doing the same thing you say that folks in Houston are doing when it gets hot, but instead of going from your office, to your car, to your home and cutting on the AC you are cutting on the heat. Where as in a place like Houston they can at least go to the beach and cool off.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:31 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Can't speak on Houston since I haven't been there but agree that most people can tolerate the heat better than the extreme cold. In Charlotte there are plenty of people still out biking, running, walking, etc, during the summer, and it's not like it stops feeling like summer once summer is over, over here. Summer is technically over but it's still been 97 degrees all week, and people are still out. Pretty sure if people are still out and about in Charlotte they probably are in Houston which has more water access. If it gets cold in one of those cities, you are essentially doing the same thing you say that folks in Houston are doing when it gets hot, but instead of going from your office, to your car, to your home and cutting on the AC you are cutting on the heat. Where as in a place like Houston they can at least go to the beach and cool off.
The last full day of summer is 9/21.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:31 AM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD28194 View Post
For me:

1) Chicago
2) Boston
3) Seattle
4) Charlotte
5) Baltimore
6) Pittsburgh
7) Houston
nearly perfect.

1. Boston
2. Chicago
3. Seattle
4. Houston
5. Pittsburgh
6. Baltimore
7. Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City