Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 AM

860 posts, read 1,338,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Having lived in NJ for most of my life, high immigration does not bother me in the least. We have many illegal immigrants here and they rarely cause any problems.
Immigration is fine. Running across the border is not. Just because they haven't slit your throat yet doesn't mean they don't do any harm. Just try getting a labor based job and you won't have a chance. Not to mention how they increase crime in the area since gangs are formed to control the area. Since they know they're illegal the people under the thumb of these gangs can't depend on the police to make the area safe since they'll be deported (in a perfect world, anyway). So illegals have a lot more of an impact than you think.

Besides, the traffic isn't worth the slim benefits you might gain here. Stay away is my motto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM

262 posts, read 2,022,476 times
I would personally never, ever want to live in the following states. Most of them I wouldn't even really care to visit. Please forgive my generalizations, I'm sure some of these states are very nice

Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Arkansas
Minnesota
Michigan
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Idaho
Washington
Alaska

Oh, and I have to give credit for the most unintentionally funny comment of the year to NAH - "You can't go wrong with West Virginia." I mean, I think it's a nice state and the people are great, but it is consistently ranked one of the worst states to live in. What's there except for the resort in White Sulphur Springs, or maybe Alpine Lake resort in Terra Alta? The rest of the state is just... well, no comment

Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
pkoons you are breaking my heart...we went to Hot Springs, Arkansas a few years back and fell in love with the area.

States I would not live in:
Alaska - too cold
North Dakota - too cold
South Dakota - too cold
Nebraska - never been there, but I bet it's flat and cold
Kansas - too flat
Oklahoma - too flat + tornados
Minnesota - too cold
Wisconsin - too cold
Iowa - don't like the geography
Mississippi - a lot of poverty and racism (so I've heard)
Alabama - a lot of poverty and racism (so I've heard)
Tennessee - been there and just didn't like it
Maine - too cold
New Hampshire - too cold
Vermont - too cold
Massachusetts - pretty cold and expensive too
Connecticut - cold, expensive, and too close to NYC (don't like NYC)
Washington DC - crime

Old 11-29-2006, 07:04 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons View Post
I would personally never, ever want to live in the following states. Most of them I wouldn't even really care to visit. Please forgive my generalizations, I'm sure some of these states are very nice

Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Arkansas
Minnesota
Michigan
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Idaho
Washington
Alaska

Oh, and I have to give credit for the most unintentionally funny comment of the year to NAH - "You can't go wrong with West Virginia." I mean, I think it's a nice state and the people are great, but it is consistently ranked one of the worst states to live in. What's there except for the resort in White Sulphur Springs, or maybe Alpine Lake resort in Terra Alta? The rest of the state is just... well, no comment
Ok, have to add my 2 cents

Maine - Not bad but taxing and Black Fly and Mud Season stinks
Vermont - My favorite state in the Union. So beautiful.
New Hampshire - Nice also, esp. Coos County
Mississippi - Nah!, Tupelo is ok though
Alabama - Huntsville is cool, S. Alabama? Nah!
Louisiana - Heck no
Arkansas - Chicken **** Central, but nice in the Northern section
Minnesota - Home of 10 000 lakes and 10 billon skeeters
Michigan - Not a big fan
North Dakota - Eh yah! Fargo is cool, I mean cold.
South Dakota - Mt. Rushmore
Montana - Big Sky, Missoula is ok by me
Idaho - Nice and rather Montanish, watch out for the Neo's up north
Washington - Ugh. Rain, Cloudy, Rain, Cloudy, Seattle is suicide central
Alaska - God's country. Go there and you won't want to leave

Now for the WV thing. I'm a WV native. the state is beautiful, wild, and wonderful. There are actually many nice places in the state to live. Just stay away from Martinsburg. (previous post where modern ghetto meets banjo)
Not a pretty site

I can't say there is any state I would want to avoid since I can find nice items in each state of our great nation.
I enjoyed living in NJ, but the taxes chased me away
I enjoy Maryland, but there is nothing FREE in the free state. Baltimore, and PG county are crime central, and taxes are out of this world.
California is turning 3rd world at breakneck speed with Florida not far behind. Georgia is absorbing refugees from both states on a daily basis.

I would like to have 2 dream locations to live.
Vermont in the summer and Savannie / Hilton Head area in the winter.
Of course I would like a spare home in North Pole, Alaska too

Until then, it is NE Georgia for me

Regards

Old 11-29-2006, 09:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
pkoons you are breaking my heart...we went to Hot Springs, Arkansas a few years back and fell in love with the area.

States I would not live in:
Alaska - too cold
North Dakota - too cold
South Dakota - too cold
Kansas - too flat
Minnesota - too cold
Wisconsin - too cold
Iowa - don't like the geography
Mississippi - a lot of poverty and racism (so I've heard)
Alabama - a lot of poverty and racism (so I've heard)
Tennessee - been there and just didn't like it
Maine - too cold
New Hampshire - too cold
Vermont - too cold
Massachusetts - pretty cold and expensive too
Connecticut - cold, expensive, and too close to NYC (don't like NYC)
Washington DC - crime
Have you even been to any of these states? Of course other than the ones where you mention you visited them...

Alaska: too cold? Who cares with that scenery? The most beautiful area in all of North America, hands down. I think youd be hard pressed to find someone who disagrees.

North Dakota: cold yes, but steeped in Native American history and has some beautiful scenery.

South Dakota: Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands. Some of the best scenery in the nation! Super warm and dry summers... not that bad actually!

Nebraska: "never been there" but youll add it to a list of states you dislike? HUH?!?!?! Its mostly flat, but there are some very hilly areas and exposed rocks (Chimney Rocks come to mind) that are very unique and quite beautiful. Very peaceful state.

Kansas: Lots of it is flat, but also stunning areas with gorgeous hills and plateaus (near the OK border). Also areas of KS (SW corner) rank in the top 10 sunniest spots in the USA.

Oklahoma: they have problems with tornadoes ONLY IN CERTAIN AREAS. There are some GORGEOUS mountains in OK, so I dont see why you think its too flat? The Arbuckle Mountains are lovely as are the ranges down near the SE corner of the state. The buttes/mesas/plateaus on the panhandle near NM are absolute monsters in height, and in fact the tallest peaks in the state.

Minnesota: Cold in the winter, sometimes hot and humid in the summer. Its not cold all the time, just like it isnt boiling in AZ all the time. Minnesota offers wonderful outdoors activities and wonderful cities. Its God's country up there and quite beautiful!

Wisconsin: Kinda cold, but great summers. Wonderful hills and "mountains" in the lower SW corner of the state as well (particularly near Devils Lake State Park). Great food and friendly folks (just as long as youre not from Chicago).

Iowa: BEAUTIFUL hills and bluffs along the Mississippi. Peaceful farms and rolling hills. Whats wrong with the geography?

Mississippi: Every state has alot of poverty and racism (sad to say), including the one you live in. You wanna see poverty? Visit an Indian reservation some time and try not to cry.

Alabama: has wonderful geography and is steeped in history. See above for the race/poverty thing.

Tennessee: where did you visit? Gatlinburg and Chattanooga are quite nice. Knoxville is ok, but the surrounding scenery is also nice. Nashville is downright funky and cool, no other city like it. The Smokies.... gorgeous.

Maine: once again youd deny yourself serenity and peace and awe inspiring views just cuz its a little cold? Doesnt seem like a good reason to dislike a state.

New Hampshire: Same as what I wrote about Maine. NH has wonderful small towns that are good ol USA. The Green Mountains are just beautiful.

Vermont: " " " "

Massachusetts: Not as cold as youd think, but cold. Gorgeous scenery as well as wonderful history and food. A trip to Boston is a must.

CT: Cold and expensive for a reason: its a nice place to live and people are willing to pay up the wazoo to live there. That state is what you call: HISTORY and OLD MONEY.

Washington DC: I have to agree with you about the crime, but its a gorgeous city.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001
Kansas - too flat
That really trips me out that so many people know so little about geography!!!
(Then again, it really trips me out that so many people know so little about ANYTHING!!!
but that's another story... )
By the way, I don't mean to insult Christina! Seems EVERYONE has the misconception that those states are flat!

NONE of those 3 states are flat!!!!!!!!
Ever here of The Ozarks? What about The Ouachitas? And don't forget The Arbuckle Mountains! - which I never actually even heard of until just now while looking up the spelling of Ouachita! )
They're all in OK!

How about The Flint Hills? The Gypsum Hills? These are in KS!

Sand Hills? In NE!

Know which state is actually FLAT? As in REALLY flat? NO hills or mountains?
The lowest highest elevation of ANY state? Go on, guess...

FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!

WE are the flattest state!!!!!!!
Yup - Florida - The Pancake State! - I like that!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Another great thing about Florida is that after a nice big hurricane it's even flatter..LOL! But as much as I complain about horrible places like Miami, it's still a lot better than LA, DC, NYC, and some other assorted overpriced bubble cities. If we could slow the flow of refugees from other states and the rest of the world there might be some hope for the place! Well it won't matter if the sea level rises anyway, if you believe the current global warming nonsense theory.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
I am sorry, due to the recent negative rep I recieved that my post was "too negative" (go figure the title of this thread is "states to aviod") I have completely deleted my post.

Including words about the SEVEN states I had nice things to say about. And the handful of states I did not like due to way too many hurricaines or tornadoes or earthquakes. Sorry, I was talking about the ones I wanted to avoid. Good lord whoever wrote that needs to get a serious grip.

You are supposed to use rep system when people say things that are lies, not opinions you don't like.

Last edited by winnie; 11-30-2006 at 12:56 AM..

Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,408 times
Massachusetts - Bitter cold, sloppy (or inexistent) snow removal leaving dirt brown or black snow for months, high crime (metro), rude and arrogant people that you run into all the time, ridiculously overpriced homes, endless road construction everywhere, very high taxes, too political (for my own taste). Good food though...

Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
I just wish I knew how to see who's leaving these comments about me. Must be a real estate investor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City