Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better?
Nashville 40 44.94%
Houston 49 55.06%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:52 PM

159 posts, read 269,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBigHomieGucci View Post
Is this thread a joke?
Houston.
Anything you like in Nashville, Houston prob has 3 more
Except Hills. That nice 3 inch incline in Houston makes for some nice hiking.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 PM

345 posts, read 530,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Except Hills. That nice 3 inch incline in Houston makes for some nice hiking.
Yeah Nashville is covered in hills. I'm from Louisiana which is super flat like Houston, and coming to Nashville was a surprise. Even in the downtown, theres a huge hill (capitol hill). it's beautiful.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:25 PM

345 posts, read 809,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBigHomieGucci View Post
Is this thread a joke?
Houston.
Anything you like in Nashville, Houston prob has 3 more
clearly not from the comments. does houston have scenery or a broadway st like nashville? dont assume bigger is better

Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 PM

44 posts, read 44,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
clearly not from the comments. does houston have scenery or a broadway st like nashville? dont assume bigger is better
No. Houston has its own natural scenery, and different streets.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:05 PM

247 posts, read 336,224 times
Quote:
Broadway is good for a visit once or twice a year, tops. Margaritaville, boot shops, gift shops galore, dozen or so identical country cover bands- it's a tourist attraction. Great to take the family to during the day during a visit or go to at night with your friends while you're in town to watch a game, but the food selection is poor, the drinks are prohibitively expensive, the bars are cookie-cutter, the crowds and abundance of obnoxious bridesmaids parties are off-putting.

It's a great atmosphere during the weekend of a Titans game because of all of the visiting fans, but if you live in Nashville, it's very unlikely you'll be down there often. They really need to put some work into that area to make it more appealing to locals, since it's the most logical bar-strip area in the city, and move the touristy fluff elsewhere. Having this street isn't much of a pro, in my book.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Houston is more diverse than Chicago. Th GAWC rankings is from a western centric view and has nothing to do with culture just how interconnected a city is. A city that I find copy paste like but cool like Dubai is ranked high because of its connection not because of its culture. If this was based on culture then several cities like New Orleans would be the only alpha + city or higher in the U.S besides NYC and maybe a few other cities. This is basically how related countries are and that alone favors NYC and London because of their diversity.

Houston does have a culture, I can tell when someone from Houston is rapping or singing just from the language they use.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:06 AM

345 posts, read 809,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Null View Post
No. Houston has its own natural scenery, and different streets.
now that's a joke. houston has many things but scenery aint one of them. it's flat with no waters. and different streets such as what? lol

Old 10-08-2016, 06:21 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Do not factor in size of city (this always happens by default). factor in:

quality of life
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
overall vibe of city and people
QOL: Subjective
Nightlife: Houston for locals, Nashville for visitors I would assume
Scenery: Nashville, though Houston does have proximity to the Gulf for those who prefer water
Daytime Activities/Events: I'll say DT activities (Houston), events perhaps Nashville.
Shopping/Entertainment: Shopping Houston, Entertainment perhaps Nashville
Overall Vibe: Depends on what you prefer. Houston is a significantly larger city, and apart from the traffic, that's more of a positive than a negative. One is more likely to find a good COL/income ratio in Houston, Houston has more big city amenities in culture, sports, airport, yada yada. But, Nashville in some ways is livelier, and not just because of country music. It has a compact and fun downtown, a more unique local culture, and more natural beauty immediately around it than Houston does. Weather is another one that is subjective, but Houston would seem to be excessively hot for many months out of the year. Overall, I voted for Nashville based on preferred natural amenities and weather, but if it was just based on cities, I'd prob pick Houston.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:31 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
now that's a joke. houston has many things but scenery aint one of them. it's flat with no waters. and different streets such as what? lol
Let's be fair. I prefer Nashville's surrounds, but Houston as a whole probably has more palm trees, has many sections with the live oak forest similar to what is found in the Tulane Garden District, is an hour away from Sam Houston National Forest, which is very unique, less than an hour from the gulf, and even weekend drives to places like Hill Country and Atchafalaya Swamp. So I can see where, largely because of the gulf/different trees, some may find it preferable to Nashville even though I wouldn't.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:37 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
I can't believe that Nashville would try to compete with Houston. Houston wins in all categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City