Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 AM

615 posts, read 599,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does having fewer foreign flag carries means you aren't as many international direct flight destinations? Is it some kind of exclusion system?
He is desperately trying to discount Toronto having more international destinations even without including Caribbean destinations. It's amusing to read.

Forget that Toronto has one of the largest Caribbean populations in North America.

Also he seems to think having 3 more flag carriers in SFO is somehow significant and means carriers desire a greater presence there, even when there are much fewer overall international destinations from SFO.

We are quite blessed in Toronto in that we have flight access to so many places including tropical paradises, and are a few hours drive away from so many other large and great metropolitan areas in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Wow, it's incredible that the Canadian workforce and social welfare network means that even though Torontonians and other Canadians make much less on average than a Bay Area resident, they still seem to be able to support several dozens of flights from Toronto alone! That's crazy!

Do Canadians also get a lot more days off as well? I got to say, these posts have really turned me around on Toronto! The winter does seem terrible but if it's within this many people's means to take off during the worst of winter and to such a variety of close flights, then this almost seems like the best of all worlds where you can get a hot, but not oppressive, summer, the beautiful change of seasons, snow for the winter and the holiday season, but also a wonderful quick reprieve during winter so it's not overwhelming. This is amazing!
Overall probably yes. There are federal and provincial vacation laws.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:35 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes bless their hearts. They crowd into super cheap Cuban villages where they only need to spend a few dollars a day in order to have some warmer weather. I dont blame them.

Im really happy when people discover the cities that are a great fit for them. #tearsofjoy
You seem to be ignoring the vast majority of the US that also has cold winters. Your patronizing attitude is odd.
Begrudging people who can afford to and have the time off to, have a holiday in winter is what?

As for crowding, please. The resorts in Cuba are on par with some of the best. They not only cater to Canadians but Europeans as well.

If you're going to bash a place, why not look in your country first. Honolulu's airport is a joke stuck in the 1970's.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Yea, I guess we're really coming around on this, as going to Barbados is pretty amazing and the French islands are pretty amazing. How fun it must be to go from hockey to snorkeling and back again!
Yes, it also causes me to truly appreciate California. I have palm trees, a gorgeous flowering magnolia, fruit trees, a lovely bouganvilla vine, all manner of flowers, we are blessed with beautiful sun and snowless winters. Im soo grateful and owe mrjun18 a thanks for motivating me to research and discover that soooo many poor folks in the world need to uproot their lives and travel across continents just to have the lifestyle that I take for granted. #grateful #blessed

Quote:
I'm going to guess Chicago does something similar? When I get to a computer, I think I'll give a go at listing the total number of direct non-seasonal non-US/Canada destinations for the airports of all four metros so we can all get a better picture of all this!
Please do, I can hardly wait.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, it also causes me to truly appreciate California. I have palm trees, a gorgeous flowering magnolia, fruit trees, a lovely bouganvilla vine, all manner of flowers, we are blessed with beautiful sun and snowless winters. Im soo grateful and owe mrjun18 a thanks for motivating me to research and discover that soooo many poor folks in the world need to uproot their lives and travel across continents just to have the lifestyle that I take for granted. #grateful #blessed

Please do, I can hardly wait.
I've always wondered, how does it feel in SF after that first rain fall of the season hydrates all the dried up **** the homeless people have left on the streets all summer, filling the streets with the pungent aroma of urine?

#paradise

Old 10-13-2016, 12:17 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Winter and cold weather sucks. I live in a place with cold winters, and it really is just downright depressing. The snow, ice, windchills, gloominess/darkness, barely seeing the sun, etc. it's not fun. And it really has a huge negative effect on people's moods/lives when you have to deal with this every single day for 3 months or more. I've lived in this climate (Northeast US) my entire life and although I'm used to it, it really doesn't get any less miserable as years go by. I personally happen to think that living in NYC is worth it, but every year I always seriously consider moving down to Florida or something. The few years that I lived in Jersey were not worth the winters. I think you have to have a good reason to live in a climate like this. I guess Canada is different because you guys don't really have much of a choice though. Yeah Vancouver is "mild" by Canadian standards, but by US standards that's still considered very cold.

I'm not gonna pretend I'm not super jelaous of people in California because of their climate. I am. I don't understand how anyone can not be tbh. I know that some people like seasons, but even still you have to admit that winter is the worst season. It's just completely miserable and depressing.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Winter and cold weather sucks. I live in a place with cold winters, and it really is just downright depressing. The snow, ice, windchills, gloominess/darkness, barely seeing the sun, etc. it's not fun. And it really has a huge negative effect on people's moods/lives when you have to deal with this every single day for 3 months or more. I've lived in this climate (Northeast US) my entire life and although I'm used to it, it really doesn't get any less miserable as years go by. I personally happen to think that living in NYC is worth it, but every year I always seriously consider moving down to Florida or something. The few years that I lived in Jersey were not worth the winters. I think you have to have a good reason to live in a climate like this. I guess Canada is different because you guys don't really have much of a choice though. Yeah Vancouver is "mild" by Canadian standards, but by US standards that's still considered very cold.

I'm not gonna pretend I'm not super jelaous of people in California because of their climate. I am. I don't understand how anyone can not be tbh. I know that some people like seasons, but even still you have to admit that winter is the worst season. It's just completely miserable and depressing.
Meh you man up and get through it. Winter is a necessary purifier, it kills pests and reduces crime, and makes the place on the surface less attractive to foreign housing buyers and homeless people.

Ie fears of Zika spreading in Ontario, lets see those mosquitos survive February in Toronto.

It's also pretty great for the holidays.

If you need a break a flight to Miami is $300 RT.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

So why don't you take two weeks off to the Caribbean every winter or at least Florida? It's a quick flight and a good tonic.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:06 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
I do go to Florida every winter to visit family. It just makes it harder going back, lol.

I have lived in this climate my whole life and I don't know any different. A part of me would love to leave and live in a hot climate with better beaches like Miami, but the other part of me loves living in NYC too much to leave.

Maybe I would appreciate it more if I left. It is great to not have mosquitos. I still think either way you look at it winter kind of sucks tho...

Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times
Quote:
My contention is Foreign Flag Carriers and Im not sure because I havent verified his 105 claim yet.

I do know that 50ish destinations are to Caribbean/ Central American vacation destinations, which really deflates the 105/49 claim because now we know that around half are due to snowbirds.

You are totally free to calculate their numbers.
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/fl...Destinations/#

Feel free to count the list of places in the link above.
There number will be more than 45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City