Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:07 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I honestly don't think anyone was suggestion their skyscrapers or number of talls was close (I actually prefer Chicago's skyline many times to NYC yet would not say Chicago is the same level as NYC in terms of DTs

I think the point was the feel of the Chicago DT doesn't feel massive compared to a SF or Philly nor more (significantly) congested/active (though is bigger than either no doubt) whereas NYC is truly a different animal even compared to Chicago

Chicago has a lot bigger skyline and a grander feel than a SF or Boston or Philly but doesn't feel leaps ahead on most other elements to me, bigger but but outside of skyline doesn't feels throngs ahead as NYC does on nearly every metric

I love Chicago, truly and appreciate its setting, architecture, people, food etc. it just doesn't feel even remotely overwhelming in scale compared to the others the way NYC does to me at least and think that was the point

I think Chicago has the second best DT FWIW but don't feel its as far a gap between the others as NYC does to them or NYC to Chicago for that matter.
Best post of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think there's a general consensus among the non-Chicagoans participating in this discussion that the gap between the third-tier downtowns and Chicago is smaller than the one between Chicago and New York.
Another great post (short and sweet).

Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think there's a general consensus among the non-Chicagoans participating in this discussion that the gap between the third-tier downtowns and Chicago is smaller than the one between Chicago and New York.

For sure, because there are posters who rate others right there with Chicago (beside skyline), SF, Philly and maybe Boston.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:58 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
I think Chicagoans clearly know they have the Next best darn-great downtown in the Nation. After Mighty and HUGE BIG GAP . . . . . . CAPITAL OF THE WORLD -- Top of the heap ... NYC and ALL MANHATTAN TOO for a downtown and core. That is a HUUUUUG step down to Chicago.

Did i say it was REALLY A BIG STEP DOWN !!!

Then you have oh so close other cities that Chicago is only a tiny bit better.
Did I say tiny gap?

Seems Chicago got too many complements in a row..... time to put it in its place. RIGHT PEOPLE.

Its time LAs downtown gets more luv too. SF use to also ..... WAaat HaApPeNeD.

Philly surely deserves its due. No qualms there.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:12 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I think Chicagoans clearly know they have the Next best darn-great downtown in the Nation. After Mighty and HUGE BIG GAP . . . . . . CAPITAL OF THE WORLD -- Top of the heap ... NYC and ALL MANHATTAN TOO for a downtown and core. That is a HUUUUUG step down to Chicago.

Did i say it was REALLY A BIG STEP DOWN !!!

Then you have oh so close other cities that Chicago is only a tiny bit better.
Did I say tiny gap?

Seems Chicago got too many complements in a row..... time to put it in its place. RIGHT PEOPLE.

Its time LAs downtown gets more luv too. SF use to also ..... WAaat HaApPeNeD.

Philly surely deserves its due. No qualms there.
Sometimes you make sense, other times you don't (like this post).

Two very level headed and educated posters made very valid and accurate points, NONE of which were insulting to Chicago, yet you clearly take it personal and throw side eye at New York.
Its very obvious you are unhappy with New York being number 1, and even more unhappy that Chicago is more comparable to Philadelphia, San Fran, and Boston than New York (as if that is an insult to Chicago )

If someone makes a ridiculous claim against Chicago (I have seen them on here), then by all means the defense is necessary, because some people are just haters.
But your reaction to some very logical posts seems emotionally driven rather than logical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City