Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 04:12 PM

242 posts, read 239,593 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RJaUfbUHiA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 PM

242 posts, read 239,593 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WEB5z255dg

Old 01-07-2017, 04:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
Barack Obama is the most comparatively racist president of all time.
I suppose he should have paid more attention to the needs of AAs and other minorities, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him racist based upon those deficiencies. I believe his mother raised him better than that.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I know. It's exactly the opposite.

Outside of NYC, Chicago is one of THE cities that specializes in those types of places.

What a joke that statement was.
You watch way too much TV and want to believe Chicago bartendets all make big money.

The average Chicago Bartender earns a Slots Grobnik wage, not 60k a year plus. I mean please provide us with any factual data that suggests otherwise.

Bartenders have to work in wealthy areas, to earn higher incomes. Chicago really does not out perform Houston in this regard. There is no concentration of wealth in Chicago that isn't found in Houston.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
In the sense of pure segregation. Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee wrote the book on it. Different races don't interact in Chicago as much as they do in Houston.

Also, I think youre putting too much stock in who voted for Obama vs. who didn't. Houston voted for a gay mayor twice despite declining to pass protections for the gay population here. By that token, Houston is way behind large cities in America in terms of being LGBT forward. Even Dallas is wayyyy ahead of Houston in this area.

By that same token, with the amount of segregation and complacency with that in Chicago makes it behind a lot of other cities on racial issues. Youre thinking of racists white people against African Americans, but that's narrow minded. Look at Pilsen and the white population that is trying to move in, yet is clearly unwelcome in the area. Look at gang problems among blacks and Hispanics within each other. Hell, the only time my wife and I have ever had seething stares (were an interracial couple) was in Chicago. Granted we were there for a week and it only happened twice of the hundreds of thousands of people we passed by, but its never happened in Texas after being in Dallas and Houston for years.

Bottom line is that Chicago is super segregated. Im sure its getting better, but its got a long way to go. Houston is extremely integrated by urban America standards. Race relations is an area where Houston is better than Chicago just as Chicago is obviously better with LGBT relations.
I don't think you're as familiar with Chicago as you think you are. The north side is far from the lily white enclave it was 30-40 years ago. Pilsen was a white neighborhood (Scandinavian I believe?) before Hispanics moved in, lol. Neighborhoods change. Whites are typically MORE LIKELY to live in Hispanic neighborhoods than black neighborhoods. That's a national trend BTW.

You and your wife did not receive seething stares in Chicago, lol. At least not from any significant number of people. I'm interracial and grew up in a majority white suburb. Never had any issues. My parents lived in Chicago in the 80s without issue. I'm in an interracial relationship and there are literally zero issues.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
What is your definition not being a racist? Is it judging people based on the content of their character? Or is it giving racial minorities special privileges and using identity politics to buy voting blocks?
What special privileges do you feel Obama gave minorities?

Old 01-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I don't think you're as familiar with Chicago as you think you are. The north side is far from the lily white enclave it was 30-40 years ago. Pilsen was a white neighborhood (Scandinavian I believe?) before Hispanics moved in, lol. Neighborhoods change. Whites are typically MORE LIKELY to live in Hispanic neighborhoods than black neighborhoods. That's a national trend BTW.

You and your wife did not receive seething stares in Chicago, lol. I'm interracial and grew up in a majority white suburb. Never had any issues.
If youre going to make constant attempts to paint Chicago as something it isn't, you cant expect to have a valid opinion on someone elses opinion.

Who said I got stares from a white person? Typical of a person who doesn't like what someone else has to say. They discount it.

Also, yes the North side is still pretty segregated. I didn't say there were no minorities on the north side, but its far from integrated.

Compare a race map of Chicago and Houston:

http://johnvest.com/2013/08/28/a-bir...gated-america/

http://public.media.smithsonianmag.c...13_houston.jpg

Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
If youre going to make constant attempts to paint Chicago as something it isn't, you cant expect to have a valid opinion on someone elses opinion.

Who said I got stares from a white person? Typical of a person who doesn't like what someone else has to say. They discount it.

Also, yes the North side is still pretty segregated. I didn't say there were no minorities on the north side, but its far from integrated.

Right. The guy who spent a few days here has a better understanding of race in Chicago than the dude who has lived here his whole life? Give me a break. Whites are still the plurality on the north side, but that's really no different than anywhere. Segregation in Chicago is more intense than Houston, but Houston (as everywhere) is still segregated. These days it's mostly by income, but as we know, race and income are heavily correlated in the U.S.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

Right. The guy who has lived here his whole life has had fewer run ins with racist than the dude who spent a few days here? Give me a break.
I lived in Chicago for two years but didn't date outside my race so whatever. Im not interested on whether or not you believe me or not. You have shown that youre not able to see any of Chicago's flaws so a debate with you is pointless.

What I do care about is data. And the data on segregation in Chicago shows Im correct and youre wrong.

Below is the data on dissimilarity index. It is the only true measure to segregation.

CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices

Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
In the sense of pure segregation. Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee wrote the book on it. Different races don't interact in Chicago as much as they do in Houston.

Also, I think youre putting too much stock in who voted for Obama vs. who didn't. Houston voted for a gay mayor twice despite declining to pass protections for the gay population here. By that token, Houston is way behind large cities in America in terms of being LGBT forward. Even Dallas is wayyyy ahead of Houston in this area.

By that same token, with the amount of segregation and complacency with that in Chicago makes it behind a lot of other cities on racial issues. Youre thinking of racists white people against African Americans, but that's narrow minded. Look at Pilsen and the white population that is trying to move in, yet is clearly unwelcome in the area. Look at gang problems among blacks and Hispanics within each other. Hell, the only time my wife and I have ever had seething stares (were an interracial couple) was in Chicago. Granted we were there for a week and it only happened twice of the hundreds of thousands of people we passed by, but its never happened in Texas after being in Dallas and Houston for years.

Bottom line is that Chicago is super segregated. Im sure its getting better, but its got a long way to go. Houston is extremely integrated by urban America standards. Race relations is an area where Houston is better than Chicago just as Chicago is obviously better with LGBT relations.
I don't think Houston can pat itself on the back too much. The physical structure of Houston, and rapid population growth of minorities, has kept neighborhoods churning, and not allowed segregation to set in, as opposed to Chicago which has had stable neighborhoods for decades. In the more stable areas of Houston like West University and Bellaire, Black population is only around 1%. Bellaire had an incident several years ago where the police shot a black resident in his own driveway, after he became upset that police had pushed his mother to the ground when she came outside to ask why her son was being questioned. There are huge tracts of the Houston area that are less that 5% white, especially East of downtown, that may not technically be "segregated" as they include a mix of black and Hispanic. Just outside the rapidly growing city, in the predominately white areas, there is a significant underlying resentment of Houston, unfortunately, that carries an extremely negative view of the City of Houston, its leadership, and people who are perceived as "others." League City vote to ban allowing housing for undocumented children in the city limits, for example. And Houston, as in many other cities, has its own version of White Flight still occurring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City