Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 146 48.03%
MIAMI 158 51.97%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,016 times

Advertisements

Which city has overall better weather?

New York City has temperate/subtropical climate with 4 seasons; cold winters, cool to warm spring/fall, warm to hot & humid summers.

Miami has tropical climate with 2 seasons. Summer brings very hot & humid and frequently short-lived heavy thunderstorms most of the days between May - October (also chance of hurricanes) and a "winter" November - April with warm days and cool/mild evenings, and occasionally cold-fronts with significantly less rainfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 04:24 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I'm gonna have to give it to Miami on this one, Summer is my favorite season in NYC and Miami is like that for longer.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Miami? No way. Awful weather for me. No seasons. Nothing changes. The only thing better about winter months is that it isn't spring, summer, or fall weather. Pitiful to be grateful for that.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Default Oh, nothing compares to South Florida's weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm gonna have to give it to Miami on this one, Summer is my favorite season in NYC and Miami is like that for longer.
You don't know what heat and HUMIDITY is until you have lived here. I am a native New York, born and raised in NYC. The hottest, most humid summer day in NY is nothing in comparison. I am talking about walking around in Manhattan when the tar is sticking to your feet and you go into the subways where you cannot breathe for the heat and smells. If nothing else, it is very, very SHORT TERM. You can have that one day, and the next can be raining (rain what is that?) and cool.

You pray for not just a rainy day in Florida, but a CLOUDY day when the sun is not blazing away. There is an old Twilight Zone episode where the sun was shining 24/7 and all the people melted away and went insane. Try to find and watch it. That is what South Florida reminds me of.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You don't know what heat and HUMIDITY is until you have lived here. I am a native New York, born and raised in NYC. The hottest, most humid summer day iin NY s nothing in comparison. I am talking about walking around in Manhattan when the tar is sticking to your feet and you go into the subways where you cannot breathe for the heat and smells. If nothing else, it is very, very SHORT TERM. You can have that one day, and the next can be raining (rain what is that?) and cool.

You pray for not just a rainy day, but a CLOUDY day when the sun is blazing away. There is an old Twilight Zone episode where the sun shone 24/7 and all the people melted away and went insane. Try to find and watch it. That is what South Florida reminds me of.
I have been in Florida during its hottest days of the year (120+ heat indexes), I know what it feels like, NYC is the same way on certain days. Maybe I'm just less heat sensitive, I love heat, the more heat the better .

Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Miami? No way. Awful weather for me. No seasons. Nothing changes. The only thing better about winter months is that it isn't spring, summer, or fall weather. Pitiful to be grateful for that.
I agree with Tanaples. Miami's weather is dreadful. Kids cannot be playing during the Summer in Miami. It is a horrendous place to be. This is why, I vote NYC.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Default NY doesn't last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I have been in Florida during its hottest days of the year (120+ heat indexes), I know what it feels like, NYC is the same way on certain days. Maybe I'm just less heat sensitive, I love heat, the more heat the better .
Florida is months and months on end. (April through December). It really wears you down after that long a period of time.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Florida is months and months on end. (April through December). It really wears you down after that long a period of time.
That's what I like about Florida's heat, it lasts long, its also better for my asthma and allergies when its hot and humid, that's a big reason why Summer is my favorite season (other than the fact that I like heat lol), I always get sick when Fall comes and when Spring is just starting.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Default I work with a few native Haitian kids in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I agree with Tanaples. Miami's weather is dreadful. Kids cannot be playing during the Summer in Miami. It is a horrendous place to be. This is why, I vote NYC.
We go out for recess at Noon where they can only go on the basketball court. The PE coach took the temp one day and it was 120 degrees (actual not heat index) on the court.

The kids ask to sit under my umbrella with me and BEG for indoor recess. Native HAITIAN kids ask to be under an umbrella at NOON in 120 degrees. Maybe these kids aren't stupid and KNOW something about heat? You see these Haitian, and Mexican, people here all the time walking around under umbrellas or wearing long sleeve shirts and big hats.

Ah, but then you have the lilly white OLD PEOPLE JOGGING in the Noon day sun. Just who is stupid??????

Last edited by TANaples; 10-03-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 05:25 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
New York City has great weather. Miami is way to hot for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City