Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 03:07 PM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMtoPM View Post
The amount of people missing the simple concept of BLM is astounding.
Exactly !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 04:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMtoPM View Post
The amount of people missing the simple concept of BLM is astounding.
They will never get it. For them, rights and civililty are finite resources and they will always assume somethig is taken away from them if it is extended to a group that has been underserved.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:51 PM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They will never get it. For them, rights and civililty are finite resources and they will always assume somethig is taken away from them if it is extended to a group that has been underserved.
Man ! So true...

Old 04-01-2017, 07:07 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
As of 4/1/2017 the city of Seattle is at 2 homicides, city population hovering at the 700,000 mark.
Wow my hometown Killeen Tx has 7 murders so far this year with a population of 130,000. Killeen is one of the most dangerous small towns in Texas.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:05 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,687 times
Violence has become tradition in the black community. What Kobe25 said is flat out true, and the fact people are getting defensive about this blatant truth and bringing up BLM to justify it should tell you something. Doesn't quite fit the narrative of self-victimization, which causes some strife in virtue-signaling "activists" to fight against what's fundamentally, reality. I've long become disillusioned to this "movement", BLM naturally dig for holes rather than try to fill decade-old ones. How does halting airport operations help the black community lol. The slave mentality is still going strong, I see.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:28 PM

43 posts, read 34,403 times
Civil Rights were granted around the exact time neoliberalism started to take hold in the 70s, which not only screwed them from any sort of meaningful social advancement, but screwed everyone, which we are seeing the effects of today. Stagnant wages and rising inflation.

Reagan destroyed the working class. Doesn't help any race, let alone black people.

It's not about "pulling up your bootstraps" or "black people need to do more". It's everyone.

Average incomes are higher among whites than blacks, but similarly declining among both that are working class.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
And here's where we get into the discussion of can we compare an entire city to an entire city? Would a more accurate (though far more difficult) comparison be to compare zip code to zip code? Chicago has some damn upscale areas where a murder would almost never happen, but it also has some terrifying ones that are probably among the worst in the nation. Contrast that with Toledo where pretty much the whole city is a little bit scary, but none of it is really a war zone that I'd feel worried about venturing out into alone. There are no nice parts, there are no terrible parts, it's just Toledo - your quintessential run down small Midwestern city that hasn't yet see the revitalization that some of its counterparts have.

One could easily say Chicago is far safer than Toledo.
One could also easily say Toledo is far safer than Chicago.

These statements would simply have to depend on where in Chicago this person was anchoring their perspective in. I imagine this applies to most cities as few places in the country have the economic and cultural disparities that Chicago has and only 3 other (NY, LA, Houston) that are in the same conversation regarding their massive population size.
I can personally answer this question being both of the cities you just compared I've called home. Grew up in central Toledo and the part of Chicago I've spent a good part of my life in is an area locals call the East side. Toledo used to not be this violent, its always had its bad parts, but now like you said most of the city is crime ridden. However, I've personally never experienced that amount of violence in Toledo that I have living off of 79th street. This happened down the street from where I used to stay at. I used to frequent that part of South Shore all the time and this level of violence is nothing new.

7 killed in 3 shootings within a mile in South Shore | abc7chicago.com

I remember someone who I knew got killed in 2014 around the corner from my house. I heard the gunshots that killed him. I'll never forget that day because two days later the revenge for his death took place at a laundry mat on 79th street where 7 people were shot. I was on the phone with my mother when it happened and there were helicopters flying over the house. The part of Toledo where I grew up is violent, I do remember drive by shootings and murders over there, but nowhere near the amount I've experienced around 79th street. I've lost too many people I've known in both cities its beyond ridiculous, but I don't paint the whole entire south side of Chicago or all of Toledo with such a broad stroke. There's great things I love about both places. I'm glad to have called both places my home.

For me I don't think its accurate to compare the two being the population is vastly different. Chicago is a lot larger than Toledo, but like a friend of mine back in Toledo asked me, if Toledo was the same size as Chicago wouldn't it be just as dangerous? I also lived in LA (in the city) where Toledo as a whole is considered more dangerous, but I feel safer walking down Nebraska and Junction than I do walking down Florence and Broadway (although I do not feel safe in either location). When I'm in South Central LA I feel like I'm in the South side of Chicago, but with palm trees. I remember when I was young, one year Toledo had 12 murders for the year, now the city is at 14 and its only April.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Violence has become tradition in the black community. What Kobe25 said is flat out true, and the fact people are getting defensive about this blatant truth and bringing up BLM to justify it should tell you something. Doesn't quite fit the narrative of self-victimization, which causes some strife in virtue-signaling "activists" to fight against what's fundamentally, reality. I've long become disillusioned to this "movement", BLM naturally dig for holes rather than try to fill decade-old ones. How does halting airport operations help the black community lol. The slave mentality is still going strong, I see.
Violence us not a tradition in the Black community...

It's a tradition in inner city, thug culture. You see the same things from Latinos and some of the few whotes or Asians that grow up in those areas.

People talking about Blacks had 50 years... Because of what? Civil Rights Movement? 50 years ago most Black prominent leaders were killed by the US Government and one group (Black Panthers) were made to look like a terrorist organization. Prominent Black neighborhoods and business districts were mowed over, many for new freeways. CIA brings in crack in the late 70s into the 80s in the inner city breaking up the Black family.

If you want to be fair, Blacks were making tremendous progress until the assassinations started.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:25 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
As of 4/1/2017 the city of Seattle is at 2 homicides, city population hovering at the 700,000 mark.
Incredibly safe. Incredibly beautiful. Walkable. Doesn't hate the gays. Rapidly growing. Wealthy.

Is there anything Seattle does wrong---besides the weather? LOL!

Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Wow will Seattle finally be at European level murder rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City