Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 06:43 PM

416 posts, read 253,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
In the opinion of those who have been there or have some knowledge of the city, where would San Juan, PR rank on this list?
I would rank it above all the rest except NYC, Boston, and San Francisco.

The biggest hit against it is that it's long, and Condado is just a bunch of hotels (amenities in the hotels) however Old Town has a good urban fabric and since it's basically Latin America flying an American flag, you have a healthy mix of amenities on every street corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Yes it does: Venice, Miracle Mile, Liemert Park, Hollywood, Koreatown, Westwood, Echo Park/Silver Lake/Los Feliz, Highland Park, South Park, San Pedro
His statement isn't true, but these aren't all middle class neighborhoods overall, and you know it.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
Right, Miami's density prevents neighborhoods like this which are not walkable at all:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...307135!6m1!1e1

I have a feeling you guys are only considering the walkability of the CBD and adjacent areas without considering the city as a whole. Miami is far more walkable as a whole, and I feel South Beach (in the Miami area) is more walkable than Seattle's most urban neighborhoods.
I think that's more on the technical side of things than I generally argue. Seattle covers a much larger physical area within the boundaries of the city, so there's definitely that.

Some of Miami's most walkable parts are outside of Miami proper and I include them, but the corollary to that is taking into consideration Seattle having much larger municipal boundaries. Taken all that into account is why I feel they're pretty comparable. It's also why I think LA is in that higher tier despite its massive municipal boundaries that include less walkable areas or why Chicago and Philadelphia compare very favorably to San Francisco, Boston, and DC.

Miami can have a distinct advantage with the opening of MiamiCentral and with Tri-Rail going downtown as it'll drive a lot of downtown development and fulfill much of the promise that the greater downtown area has. However, there's little else on the construction docket after that whereas Seattle has a lot more on the agenda currently in place. I think what will happen is that Miami might slightly pull ahead in the few years after MiamiCentral as that crucial piece of both infrastructure and development gets put into place, but then Seattle will pull ahead unless there is a massive tech bust. Miami does have the low-hanging fruit of trying to make the more northern portions of Tri-Rail or similar into becoming rapid-transit like stop and drive development, but none of that has a clear pathway towards funding even as those areas continue to densify. Meanwhile, it seems unlikely that the Miami area will have figured out a way to do a good transit connection from downtown to South Beach completed within the next decade.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-08-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
And Denver doesn't have weather problems

I took a look at your January history for 2017, yikes
I don't know what you were seeing. Denver had one single digit day and most days (21/31) were in the 40s/50s/60s in January.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's possibly because much of Miami doesn't have sidewalks.
Is this a joke ??? How does a city with a high WalkScore not have sidewalks? Please provide proof.
Have you ever been to Miami?
The only places without sidewalks are usually those suburban enclaves (usually gated) built by developers.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Is this a joke ??? How does a city with a high WalkScore not have sidewalks? Please provide proof.
Have you ever been to Miami?
The only places without sidewalks are usually those suburban enclaves (usually gated) built by developers.
Miami does have sidewalks all over, but a separate argument is if they are included in walkscores from that site. They aren not. So he can be both wrong in the actual argument about if sidewalks exist and still be right in how he's trying to argue it because it is completely possible for a place to have no sidewalks, but a high walkscore. It's just in the methodology.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Miami has sidewalks, but do you really thing Walkscore knows that?

Walkscore is a function of map plus business directory. Nothing more.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Miami has sidewalks, but do you really thing Walkscore knows that?

Walkscore is a function of map plus business directory. Nothing more.
Right, it factors in a lot of things that are important for how walkable a place is, but its algorithms aren't currently taking into account a lot of other factors. It'll improve in time, but it's not there yet. It also doesn't highlight how contiguous the blobs of walkability are nor does it try to adjust for physical city limits which, when you're on a walking scale, matters a lot.

Anyhow, the tier below Chicago, SF, Philadelphia, Boston, DC, and LA are basically in my view:

Seattle
Baltimore
Portland
Miami
San Diego
Denver
Twin Cities

New Orleans has very walkable parts but they're very small, and more importantly, small in numbers and area. A lot of older Rust Belt cities have something close but the past half century have been pretty rough on them (St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Kansas City) . The newer sunbelt cities haven't yet infilled enough to compete (Houston, DFW, Atlanta, Phoenix). Some western cities were halfway, but haven't developed into the same tier due to size or other factors (Sacramento, Honolulu, Salt Lake City).

Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
His statement isn't true, but these aren't all middle class neighborhoods overall, and you know it.
They range from lower middle class to upper middle class, and sure Venice, South Park, and Westwood have their one-percenters, but they're all walkable and have a decent proportion of middle class types.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:55 PM

173 posts, read 198,812 times
Quote:
I would rank it above all the rest except NYC, Boston, and San Francisco.

The biggest hit against it is that it's long, and Condado is just a bunch of hotels (amenities in the hotels) however Old Town has a good urban fabric and since it's basically Latin America flying an American flag, you have a healthy mix of amenities on every street corner.
Good to know. I'm hoping to visit soon to see for myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City