Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Natural Setting?
Atlanta 52 43.70%
Austin 11 9.24%
New Orleans 12 10.08%
Phoenix 44 36.97%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:37 AM

686 posts, read 621,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I don't think it is that the other cities are not beautiful as much as they lack the dense forestry and hills of Atlanta. Since the majority of posters praise the latter, Atlanta wins by default.
Exactly. Live or spend time in an area with sparse tree cover for a while. You'll learn to appreciate them mighty quick. Also, the other 3 are pretty flat, surroundings not being taken into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
I don't think it is that the other cities are not beautiful as much as they lack the dense forestry and hills of Atlanta. Since the majority of posters praise the latter, Atlanta wins by default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Exactly. Live or spend time in an area with sparse tree cover for a while. You'll learn to appreciate them mighty quick. Also, the other 3 are pretty flat, surroundings not being taken into consideration.
Don't forget:

New Orleans has lots of bottomland forest along the bayous and rivers, dripping with spanish moss; tree cover there is hardly sparse. Austin is forested as well in areas, just that the trees aren't tall.

Austin and Phoenix certainly have hills within their city limits.

Last edited by Texyn; 04-07-2017 at 06:25 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 07:00 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
I'm torn between Atlanta and Phoenix on this, especially since they're opposites of each other in terms of climate (humidity vs. dry heat) terrain (desert vs. forest), and biome.

I love the tree canopy and the hilly, rolling terrain of Atlanta. There's also a lot of evergreen trees in the area, so it doesn't get as many of the barren trees that you'd get further north. Also, yes there are mountains within the metropolitan area. There's Kennesaw Mountain in Cobb County, and Stone Mountain, a huge monadnock made of quartz monzonite. It also has a lot of plant life unique to Georgia due to the lack of tree cover. I used to hike along both of these mountains when I lived there, and learned to appreciate them.

Phoenix is in one of the "wetter" deserts in North America (Sonoran), and has a unique beauty to it that I find more appealing than the Mojave. The small mountains that ring the valley, the Saguaro cacti, the beautiful sunsets, open skies, wide expansive horizons, and palm trees all combine for a distinctive charm to the Valley of the Sun. I see why the area is so popular.

New Orleans is unique, and while there are parts of the area that I consider beautiful (the spanish moss hanging from cypress trees in the swamps and the inland sea feel of Lake Pontchartrain), I prefer the man-made beauty of the city due to its unique quasi-Caribbean/southern hybrid feel.

I've never been to Austin, but from what I've seen in pictures, the hillier terrain in the western parts of the metro area are definitely beautiful. I love the wildflowers and waterfalls. It almost reminds me of Atlanta, just shorter trees. The plains that are in the eastern parts of the metro aren't as beautiful to me, but look a lot better than the plains further north. And there's also the Lost Pines Forest to the east in Bastrop County. I know a lot of trees burned down due to the fires there a few years back, so I hope that unique area can be restored in the future.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 04-07-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 07:05 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I don't really get the Atlanta love. It's not ugly, but it's no different than most other Piedmont cities. But people claim it's so beautiful because there's a bunch of trees (again, like literally every other southeastern city). No real hills/mountains or water within the immediate city. Pheonix and New Orleans are at least unique.
But Atlanta is the only Piedmont city on the list.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Funny, I had just the opposite reaction. When I left an area with crowded and dense tree cover, I had come to appreciate the open horizons, big skies, and amazing sunsets very quickly and I still do quite often.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Funny, I had just the opposite reaction. When I left an area with crowded and dense tree cover, I had come to appreciate the open horizons, big skies, and amazing sunsets very quickly and I still do quite often.
Same here, sense tree cover makes me feel chlausterphobic and I sorely missed the vastness of the west.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:09 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Yeah, but when it comes to people like me, who appreciate real vertical variation in the local scenery, then Atlanta looks very flat. Rolling hills and a couple of 200-400' mountains really don't do much for me.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:30 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But Atlanta is the only Piedmont city on the list.
I was preemptively responding to comments I've heard/read from other people who think Atlanta is one of the most beautiful cities in the country, when to me it's basically like most other deep south cities. Not ugly, just not anything special IMO. Those comments haven't really been made here yet, but I was interpreting it from the lopsided poll.

I'd probably change my vote to Phoenix if I could.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:35 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, but when it comes to people like me, who appreciate real vertical variation in the local scenery, then Atlanta looks very flat. Rolling hills and a couple of 200-400' mountains really don't do much for me.
Then you would hate New Orleans and Phoenix.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:40 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I was preemptively responding to comments I've heard/read from other people who think Atlanta is one of the most beautiful cities in the country, when to me it's basically like most other deep south cities. Not ugly, just not anything special IMO. Those comments haven't really been made here yet, but I was interpreting it from the lopsided poll.

I'd probably change my vote to Phoenix if I could.
Deep South cities are in the coastal plain and mostly flat. Atlanta is in the Piedmont and of course its similar to other Piedmont cities (Birmingham, Greenville, Charlotte, etc.) just as Phoenix is similar to other Southwestern desert cities, although there aren't as many actual cities in that part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City