Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Natural Setting?
Atlanta 52 43.70%
Austin 11 9.24%
New Orleans 12 10.08%
Phoenix 44 36.97%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Glad people are realizing Phoenix is more impressive geographically​.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,764 times
Question for a mod or anyone else: why was my posting of images (of Phoenix) removed? No link to the source or something?

Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Question for a mod or anyone else: why was my posting of images (of Phoenix) removed? No link to the source or something?
Yes, make sure that you have the link to the source when posting images.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Unless you own the images.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Glad people are realizing Phoenix is more impressive geographically​.
Well it's the subject here is beauty and that's in the eye of the beholder.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Easily Phoenix, then Austin, then Atlanta, then New Orleans. I dunno how Atlanta is winning this: rolling hills and trees?? The valley of the Sun has real topographic grandeur and Austin has significant elevation changes and limestone cliffs over a pretty great waterfront. Beauty will always have a subjective element but this poll smacks of homerism to me...

Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Stone Mountain is 1,686 feet high; Kennesaw Mountain is 1,808.
I'm talking about vertical profile, more than 1,000' of vertical gain while ascending the mountain. In Phoenix you're surrounded by ranges the peak at well over 3,000' while Phoenix is around 1200' and if you drive as far as you'd have to for Kennesaw you can be at Four Peaks which reaches 7,657' at the peak.

Stone and Kennesaw just don't compare, they're small and isolated geographic formations. They're nice to have but not in the same ballpark as what's around Phoenix.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
New Orleans is lowest on the list for me. Sorry. I absolutely LOVE the city, and even seeing the bayous around it is something people should do. But for long term, that scenery is just not for me. Also, I took the "around" in the post to heart. From what I understand, there aren't any particularly nice beaches near NOLA, you would need to head to Gulf Shores, AL almost which is about 3 hours away, and to get to any reasonable sort of terrain, it's one of the furthest drives of any city, about 5 hours, perhaps more to Birmingham, and TRUE Appalachia doesn't start for perhaps another couple hours beyond that.

Austin is a close 3rd, just behind Phoenix. There is pretty good topography in and around Austin, and if I was just limited to city limits for this posting, Austin might just win. There are a good number of hikeable hills and viewpoints west of Austin in Hill Country, plus with Hill Country's pastoral and isolated setting, it has become a Top 5 wine region in the US. I also like that there are certain aspects of Hill Country scenery that appear to be somewhat "desert/western" in nature, but yet, there is still plenty of forest too. To the east and south, there are plenty of natural spring pools, and even some bayou as well.

Phoenix is 2nd because it is the most intriguing on the list, but it could drop if I spend a significant amount of time out there and truly hated how dry it was/felt. Because of that reason, it is behind Atlanta. But, it has a number of mountains surrounding the city, and landscape is so unique compared to so many places. Also, when considering location, this one really pulls strong. All one would need to do is drive 2 hours to get to the San Francisco Peaks, a mountain range so drastic that it is referred to as the "Arizona Rockies", and absolutely stunning red rock formations that the west is known for. Heck, even the perfect weather and stunning California coastline can be accessed in a weekend. This one is real solid at #2.

But, Atlanta still tops this group. Hiking in town (about seven hills spread out around the town, perhaps not as tall as the ones in Phoenix, but of a similar idea. Plus the Chattahoochee Recreation Area) Yes, for grandeur, the Appalachians might not be able to top the western mountains, but they are still equally stunning in their own way. It is amazing how forested and green the metropolitan area, and entire region is. Even though it is the largest city of this group, the dense deciduous canopy makes it feel (to me) more breathable than any of these others. Also, it is only a few hours from this one to the beaches of the Atlantic, or bayou landscapes, etc.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:41 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
But, Atlanta still tops this group. Hiking in town (about seven hills spread out around the town, perhaps not as tall as the ones in Phoenix, but of a similar idea. Plus the Chattahoochee Recreation Area) Yes, for grandeur, the Appalachians might not be able to top the western mountains, but they are still equally stunning in their own way. It is amazing how forested and green the metropolitan area, and entire region is. Even though it is the largest city of this group, the dense deciduous canopy makes it feel (to me) more breathable than any of these others. Also, it is only a few hours from this one to the beaches of the Atlantic, or bayou landscapes, etc.
That's a really interesting comparison between the 4 cities and I'm sure you can easily see how some of us would rank Phoenix over Atlanta. Just as you mention the heat and dryness of Arizona can get old the humidity, bugs and dampness can be as much as a detractor to enjoying the outdoors in the Southeast. As far as the hiking goes that's also very personal, if you're itching for a real challenging day hike it's always accessible within a short drive of Phoenix, year round, I don't see nearly that same level of access possible in the Atlanta area. As for easier hill type hikes that's also abundant and easily accessible in Phoenix as well.

What you won't find is the same density of green in Phoenix or nearby. Flagstaff and the other high country areas have a lot of pine and aspen trees but not to the same density. For me, the access and lack of weather interfence in Arizona is hard to top anywhere else. Also the majesty of such dominating peaks that tower over anything else built is amazing and not something I see matched on any eastern big cities.

I like visiting the East and the variety of geography we have in the US is nothing short of awesome.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,771 times
Atlanta but I'd love to see some pictures of Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City