Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best nightlife cities in Texas
Galveston 0 0%
Corpus Christi 1 0.69%
Ft Worth 1 0.69%
Houston 42 29.17%
Austin 61 42.36%
San Antonio 1 0.69%
El Paso 0 0%
Dallas 27 18.75%
McKinney 0 0%
College Station 0 0%
Amarillo 2 1.39%
Lubbock 9 6.25%
Laredo 0 0%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 04:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Part of the reason thread like this are ridiculous is because everyone has their own preferences. The common consensus is:

Austin - if your college aged to mid 20's.
Dallas - if youre gay or mid-20's to 30's.
Houston - if youre not white.

Of the above what I view as the best and what I prefer are two different things. I like Houston because everything is chill. You can show up pretty much anywhere and not have to dress up. You can hear each other at the bar instead of hearing blaring music most places. You can go to a nice place like Public Services downtown in shorts (not gym shorts) and a short sleeve shirt. People are much more welcoming here than the other two. Its not a judgmental scene.

Dallas more of a party hard city than Houston. Its the only place I've ever seen people doing coke out in public at a club. Most of those places are dominated by gay nightlife or electronic music. Then of course you have to get dolled up to go anywhere. That was fun once upon a time, but its not so much city.

Austin focuses on young white liberals and what they enjoy. That's fun, but I'm not young anymore.
That seems to be a pretty fair analysis.

My impression of the Houston nightlife is that it's pretty similar to Dallas (actually lots of bars have locations in both cities) but the Houston bar scene seems to have more men than women and is more diverse.

The bar scene in Houston is a lot less walkable than Dallas or Austin as well. I live in Victory Park, and besides the half dozen bars in a 2 block radius of my apartment, im 5-10 min walk from uptown or downtown a 5 min uber or long walk from deep Ellum or the Southside on Lamar and about a 10 min uber from either Bishop Arts or Lower Greenville.

Visiting Houston I've never gotten the impression there is any central location close to that amount of nightlife. Midtown is kind of like that but is about 10 years behind Uptown as it is still full of parking lots and such (As of last summer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 06:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Part of the reason thread like this are ridiculous is because everyone has their own preferences. The common consensus is:

Of the above what I view as the best and what I prefer are two different things. I like Houston because everything is chill. You can show up pretty much anywhere and not have to dress up. You can hear each other at the bar instead of hearing blaring music most places. You can go to a nice place like Public Services downtown in shorts (not gym shorts) and a short sleeve shirt. People are much more welcoming here than the other two. Its not a judgmental scene.

Dallas more of a party hard city than Houston. Its the only place Ive ever seen people doing coke out in public at a club. Most of those places are dominated by gay nightlife or electronic music. Then of course you have to get dolled up to go anywhere. That was fun once upon a time, but its not so much city.

Austin focuses on young white liberals and what they enjoy. Thats fun, but Im not young anymore.
Austin doesn't seem super diverse but it does have a lot of Mexicans

Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Austin doesn't seem super diverse but it does have a lot of Mexicans
So does everywhere in Texas.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:25 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Let me guess, Rainey St is where the "Real" people hang out or whatever. lol
Rainey Street has peaked. Still better than Dirty Sixth though. The center of gravity for nightlife has largely shifted east. .

Old 04-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
So does everywhere in Texas.
Basically, but it's still more diverse than if it were 100% white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Rainey Street has peaked. Still better than Dirty Sixth though. The center of gravity for nightlife has largely shifted east. .
So what are some strips you'd recommend for nightlife? I want to go to Austin in the not too distant future.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:55 PM

So what is the demographic distribution in the nightlife scenes of Austin, Dallas, and Houston?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:36 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:

Dallas more of a party hard city than Houston. Its the only place Ive ever seen people doing coke out in public at a club. Most of those places are dominated by gay nightlife or electronic music. Then of course you have to get dolled up to go anywhere. That was fun once upon a time, but its not so much city.

Austin focuses on young white liberals and what they enjoy. Thats fun, but Im not young anymore.
There's really no objective measure for "best nightlife" which is why everyone can only answer based on preference or experience.

"Partying hard" is a relative term and something else based off of experience, unless you can actually prove that electronica invites a more raucous experience than hip-hop. Just because Dallas is the only place you've seen people doing lines doesn't mean it doesn't happen in Houston.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:37 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
There's really no objective measure for "best nightlife" which is why everyone can only answer based on preference or experience.

"Partying hard" is a relative term and something else based off of experience, unless you can actually prove that electronica invites a more raucous experience than hip-hop. Just because Dallas is the only place you've seen people doing lines doesn't mean it doesn't happen in Houston.
I definitely know of a few places in Houston where that was not frowned upon.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

Having lived in both Dallas and Houston, those are my observations.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:39 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
So what is the demographic distribution in the nightlife scenes of Austin, Dallas, and Houston?
Austin = predominately early - mid 20s, college students (UT), hipsters. There's a growing young professional scene, but it's nothing like DC or even Dallas. Austin is mostly a niche city that is beginning to diversify. More clubs have been opening. A lot of live music, but again mostly niche. It's like a more diverse Nashville.

Dallas = Mostly mid 20s - mid 30s, with some college students (SMU). A lot of young professionals, but also more diversified than Austin. Dallas is stereotyped for its upscale nightlife, 30K Millionaires, gold diggers, and open use of coke. However, depends where you go. That tends to be more of an Uptown/Victory Park scene, while Deep Ellum is more chill and eclectic (more stereotypical Austin). Less live music than Austin, but better for EDM and variety in general.

Houston - Somewhat similar to Dallas, but less of a younger feel. Felt a bit older in the age spectrum in general. Houston is also more diversified than Austin and has the best ethnic and AA nightlife in the state. The biggest downside to Houston is the lack of a really concentrated nightlife district. Sure you can find a few small strips here and there, but in general it's not an easy place on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City