Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 10:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times

Advertisements

Manhattan by almost any objective measure.

Subjectively, I personally like the aesthetic of Chicago better. It feels calmer but still vibrant. Clean for the most part. It doesn’t feel as schizophrenic (don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way - I just never EVER know what I’m going to witness or feel in NYC - good or bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 09:54 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Most people think these are two things Chicago can offer in the summer that Manhattan cant

Riverboat tour and the Chicago beach

Yea, those are great! The Riverboat tour also isn't just a summer thing as I did it during a very chilly time. Kayaking in the Chicago River is also pretty neat as a very scenic urban river canyon of skyscrapers. There are also specific artworks that are in Chicago that aren't in NYC (and vice versa) for those interested. Biking the lakefront is really pleasant and in general I think Chicago including the Loop is fantastic for biking and even more so than Manhattan.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:30 PM

553 posts, read 409,768 times
New York is obviously a far superior urban center but the logic has to be consistent. People claiming NY is a monster with more of everything and mentioning that Manhattan is on a whole 'nother scale than Chicago need to remember that logic when turning around and claiming cities like Atlanta, Philly, D.C., S.F, Dallas etc. are peers to Chicago.

Anyone can compare Chicago and San Francisco's urban footprints on Two Maps, One Scale.

https://acme.com/same_scale/#41.8898...2.40759,15,S,S

Old 06-08-2022, 06:48 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
New York is obviously a far superior urban center but the logic has to be consistent. People claiming NY is a monster with more of everything and mentioning that Manhattan is on a whole 'nother scale than Chicago need to remember that logic when turning around and claiming cities like Atlanta, Philly, D.C., S.F, Dallas etc. are peers to Chicago.

Anyone can compare Chicago and San Francisco's urban footprints on Two Maps, One Scale.

I am really not seeing the difference in urban footprint that you are pointing out in the two maps. I am guessing you are referring to the fact that Chicago has a lot more skyscrapers in its downtown core. But, as everyone knows, skyscrapers are a very poor way to judge urbanity. For example, Paris and Madrid have very few skyscrapers and yet are among the most urban cities in the western world with some of the highest density and most developed infrastructure. In fact when you zoom out on the two maps you see that San Francisco appears to have denser and more consistent urban fabric around downtown with fewer abandoned/empty spaces, fewer (and smaller) industrial zones and a tighter grid. If you look at density charts -- or any other urban metrics -- there is a chasm separating NYC and every other city in the country. Chicago and SF/Philly/Boston -- not so much.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:54 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post

Chicago is larger than San Francisco or Philly but those cities are much closer to Chicago than Chicago is to New York.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Chicago is larger than San Francisco or Philly but those cities are much closer to Chicago than Chicago is to New York.
^This

Old 06-09-2022, 06:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Is Manhattan dead in the summer when all the ultra rich are in the Hamptons?
Aah. So every one of those hundreds of thousands of 1%ers spend the summer in the Hamptons. Most 1%ers I know in Manhattan get the same vacation time I always got. I had several as neighbors at my Killington place.

The poverty spec people of C-D refuse to acknowledge that affluent people are required to support expensive urban attractions. A minimum wage person isn’t eating at a Michelin star restaurant. They don’t have a season subscription to the opera, ballet, or symphony. The Bronx is dense. It’s a hell hole. Nobody goes there except for Yankees games. If your budget is draft beer and street pizza, I guess the Bronx is vibrant. That’s not why I go to Manhattan.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:23 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Aah. So every one of those hundreds of thousands of 1%ers spend the summer in the Hamptons. Most 1%ers I know in Manhattan get the same vacation time I always got. I had several as neighbors at my Killington place.

The poverty spec people of C-D refuse to acknowledge that affluent people are required to support expensive urban attractions. A minimum wage person isn’t eating at a Michelin star restaurant. They don’t have a season subscription to the opera, ballet, or symphony. The Bronx is dense. It’s a hell hole. Nobody goes there except for Yankees games. If your budget is draft beer and street pizza, I guess the Bronx is vibrant. That’s not why I go to Manhattan.
It’s really the upper middle class that support like stuff like that. Broadway is for the people who make $190,000 a year. The actual stuff NYC blows Chicago away with is supplied by hoards of upper middle class people. The 1% don’t buy 50,000 broadest tickets a day. Once again, Chicago is a very very wealthy city by Glibal standards. If it were the richest of the rich who defined culture Madrid or Athens would be empty cesspools, after all they’re technically poorer than the Bronx.

You seem to fail to realize about 90% of the country is between Minimum wage and 1%. (Plus you’re really talking .01% the ultra rich.

Like Cleveland has almost no 1%ers and tons of high class art and culture.

In fact in terms of the ultra high end stuff, the orchestra, art museum, Ballet, opera etc. NYC and Chicago are much closer to peers than in literally everything else that scales with a city. Even Michelin star restaurants are mostly sustained by 500,000 people making $200,000 who go out on their Anniversy or Birthday not 5,000 people that go 3x a week.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:29 AM

1,320 posts, read 869,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

No one was talking about expensive urban attractions, just urban attractions period.

I'm currently sitting on the subway in Barcelona. Its central core has a vibrancy that could arguably rival anywhere in Manhattan. Yet it's not a wealthy or affluent city (by US standards at least). Median income is somewhere around $42k USD.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:36 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,856,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
No one was talking about expensive urban attractions, just urban attractions period.

I'm currently sitting on the subway in Barcelona. Its central core has a vibrancy that could arguably rival anywhere in Manhattan. Yet it's not a wealthy or affluent city (by US standards at least). Median income is somewhere around $42k USD.
I'm jealous. Was in Barcelona last fall and LOVED it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City