Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this here vs. city vs. city since I think the feedback will be a lot better since these are smaller MSA's.

This would be from my perspective as mid 40's no kids and work from home no need for local job.

I've been to each for a few days. Some initial thoughts:

Boise:
-less crime
-nicer downtown (very nice downtown in Boise)
-have nice mountain areas can drive too
-more sun in Boise
-Boise warmer in fall/winter/spring but hotter summers
-Boise overall feels more upscale, overall nicer community and much more polished
-I'm not 100% sure on overall which place you get more value for your money with housing??? And which has a better housing stock and neighborhoods to choose? Boise I imagine has a lot more new suburban type housing tracts
-Idaho has a very steep state income tax which is a big deterrent
-I imagine Boise has a better airport
-both are very isolated from other large MSA's
-I was in Boise in 2012 and Spokane 2016....so I can't remember which has a prettier immediate surroundings...Spokane is more green and Boise more brown
-Boise State athletics (I LOVE to attend live college sporting events)
-I think Boise has a minor league team???
-Not sure what city has better hiking CLOSE to the city (I know both have good hiking far from city)?

Spokane:
-more crime than Boise
-downtown a bit rough around the edges but seems to be improving (large amount of homeless type crazies/druggies in downtown Spokane, I didn't notice that Boise)
-Spokane you can get to CDA and Sandpoint pretty quick and not far from MT and Canada
-more lakes in the Spokane area vs. Boise
-Spokane has more of a lower income feel to it
-no state income tax is a very nice savings
-Gonzaga and Eastern WA athletics + WSU if you want a long drive
-Not sure what city has better live music (rock, jam bands, etc...)
-Not sure what city has lower utility costs - I know WA is low and less AC in summer probably needed than Boise
-Not sure what has worse traffic and congestion

Anyway, interested to hear others opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City