Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How is watching an Orca from the dry safety of a boat more interactive than snorkeling or swimming with dolphins?
I stand corrected, we have dolphins too, but I haven't heard of people snorkeling with them, at least not on a regular basis, I wonder how marine biodiversity stacks up between the two? Miami probably has the more prettier/exotic looking animals but Puget sound does have it's fair share of marine life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I stand corrected, we have dolphins too, but I haven't heard of people snorkeling with them, at least not on a regular basis, I wonder how marine biodiversity stacks up between the two? Miami probably has the more prettier/exotic looking animals but Puget sound does have it's fair share of marine life.

snorkeling with dolphins would not be typical but much better snorkeling overall in Miami

In terms of whales and dolphins both have them, maybe a big difference is that the water in Miami is much clearer with the warmer water and more southern stronger sun so you probably can see more with the naked eye under water.

both clearly have a connection with the water though to me Miami feels one with the water moreso then just being a part of the city

and on the beaches there is just no comparison, Miami is a beach town Seattle is not

they have a different connection but to me Miami always felt one with the water in a way Seattle did not give me the same feeling

Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
The Seattle boosters are so ridiculous.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
See the source below.

An Overview of Marine Biodiversity in United States Waters

The Gulf of Mexico has the most marine biodiversity in the U.S. followed by the California Current (extending from the Puget Sound to Baja Mexico) and the Northeast U.S. Continental Shelf. South Florida is at the intersection of three marine ecosystems: Gulf of Mexico, Southeast U.S. Continental Shelf and the Caribbean Sea. The Caribbean would be the second most diverse after the Gulf of Mexico.

South Florida Coastal Marine Ecosystem : South East Region

Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
See the source below.

An Overview of Marine Biodiversity in United States Waters

The Gulf of Mexico has the most marine biodiversity in the U.S. followed by the California Current (extending from the Puget Sound to Baja Mexico) and the Northeast U.S. Continental Shelf. South Florida is at the intersection of three marine ecosystems: Gulf of Mexico, Southeast U.S. Continental Shelf and the Caribbean Sea. The Caribbean would be the second most diverse after the Gulf of Mexico.

South Florida Coastal Marine Ecosystem : South East Region
interesting

when I read the earlier was going to say the examples of sea life seemed similar to that of say the Jersey shore but this might suggest that area has more. I don't think people on the WC realize that you also see hump backs on the EC, I watched one from the Wildwood NJ boardwalk before (though seasonal) and is just loaded with dolphins and crabs and many others. Also spotted Snookie that day

I actually would have thought there would be more around Miami than points north, maybe the clearness of the water makes you perceive that

The Caribbean is crazy with marine life though.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
interesting

when I read the earlier was going to say the examples of sea life seemed similar to that of say the Jersey shore but this might suggest that area has more. I don't think people on the WC realize that you also see hump backs on the EC, I watched one from the Wildwood NJ boardwalk before (though seasonal) and is just loaded with dolphins and crabs and many others. Also spotted Snookie that day

I actually would have thought there would be more around Miami than points north, maybe the clearness of the water makes you perceive that

The Caribbean is crazy with marine life though.
According to what I've read (about all 5 minutes worth), the most diverse waters in the U.S. are around the panhandle of Florida.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Dolphins aren't as prevalent in the Puget Sound as it is down in the Gulf/Fla area. Puget Sound does also get "visitors" from California every and then. Actually, the first time I ever seen dolphins in the wild was in the Gulf.

WA generally is very strict about interacting with whales and such, we're not supposed to be within 200 yards (or something like that) of them.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 05-30-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Dolphins aren't as prevalent in the Puget Sound as it is down in the Gulf/Fla area. They do also get "visitors" from California every and then. Actually, the first time I ever seen dolphins in the wild was in the Gulf.

WA generally is very strict about interacting with whales and such, we're not supposed to be within 200 yards (or something like that) of them.

I would expect to see at least a few dolphins any day on a beach in Miami and generally only 30 yards from the beach, actually I think they are also fairly common all the way up the EC and yes in the Gulf too maybe even moreso. Based on my experience I would think there well be more dolphins on the EC than even a CA though again that I am not sure of. The large seals seem to be one thing on the WC you really don't see on the EC, though Miami would have the Mantatee

Old 05-30-2017, 12:11 PM

This looks really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbH7S5L58s0

Old 05-30-2017, 01:43 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
^ Yes it does!

The more I have been thinking about this thread, the more I feel the best answer is Miami. Its not that you have the Atlantic Ocean on the East and the Everglades to the West. You even have a 170,000+ acre watery National Park on Miami's doorstep, Biscayne National Park. https://www.nps.gov/bisc/index.htm

The fact is that Miami is a 12 month out of the year destination for water lovers. Most of the other cities cannot say that, except for a few "polar bears" LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City