Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:53 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why? It's rainy climate has been contributed as part of the reason for the "Seattle Freeze", Grunge music, and the popularity of coffee in Seattle, etc... So you honestly don't think the climate of a place has an effect on the local culture?
Why, because it sounds incredibly silly to say rain contributes to water culture. Yeah, in Seattle you need an umbrella more then you need in Los Angeles. Big whoop. Should we really argue that the XYZ city that has 50 inches of rain a year has more water culture than the ABC city that gets 40 inches a year?

Water culture is the beach culture of Florida or Southern California. Its the traditions of hunting or fishing in the Everglades of South Florida or the bayous of Louisiana. Its the old fishing port culture of Boston or San Francisco. Its sailing in Biscayne Bay or the Puget Sound. Its going deep sea fishing from Miami or New Orleans or Boston. Its diving and exploring a tropical reef near Miami. Its even kids growing up and jumping into a Florida canal or lake whenever they want to all year long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Why, because it sounds incredibly silly to say rain contributes to water culture. Yeah, in Seattle you need an umbrella more then you need in Los Angeles. Big whoop. Should we really argue that the XYZ city that has 50 inches of rain a year has more water culture than the ABC city that gets 40 inches a year?

Water culture is the beach culture of Florida or Southern California. Its the traditions of hunting or fishing in the Everglades of South Florida or the bayous of Louisiana. Its the old fishing port culture of Boston or San Francisco. Its sailing in Biscayne Bay or the Puget Sound. Its going deep sea fishing from Miami or New Orleans or Boston. Its diving and exploring a tropical reef near Miami. Its even kids growing up and jumping into a Florida canal or lake whenever they want to all year long.
I was referring to overall culture in general, not specifically "water culture" as evidenced by the examples I used. You didn't actually use the term "water culture" in your previous post either.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
If there was such argument, Miami would still win against Seattle, lol.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I was referring to overall culture in general, not specifically "water culture" as evidenced by the examples I used. You didn't actually use the term "water culture" in your previous post either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
If there was such argument, Miami would still win against Seattle, lol.
Well the whole thread is about water ingrained in culture so I thought it should be understood.

My uncle lives in Broward County (just north of Miami-Dade) and usually goes fishing in the Everglades several times a year. He also goes from time to time salt water fishing in Florida Bay, the Gulf and the Atlantic.

Now that is what I think of water culture; fishing, boating, sailing, swimming, diving underwater, water skiing, surfing, whale watching, taking cruises, eating at seafood restaurants, exploring lighthouses or old seaports, even just walking along the beach or the bay - not just plain rain!

Ink, I agree. Miami has more than its fair share of "rain culture".

Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Well the whole thread is about water ingrained in culture so I thought it should be understood.

My uncle lives in Broward County (just north of Miami-Dade) and usually goes fishing in the Everglades several times a year. He also goes from time to time salt water fishing in Florida Bay, the Gulf and the Atlantic.

Now that is what I think of water culture; fishing, boating, sailing, swimming, diving underwater, water skiing, surfing, whale watching, taking cruises, eating at seafood restaurants, exploring lighthouses or old seaports, even just walking along the beach or the bay - not just plain rain!

Ink, I agree. Miami has more than its fair share of "rain culture".
Threads usually deviate somewhat from the OP, I guess you weren't really following it when you responded.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Threads usually deviate somewhat from the OP, I guess you weren't really following it when you responded.
Yeah, I guess I was because I saw a few silly comments mentioning rain.

Perhaps next, we should vote for San Francisco because it has more fog then the other cities? Fog culture!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM

429 posts, read 479,132 times
Quote:
Why? It's rainy climate has been contributed as part of the reason for the "Seattle Freeze", Grunge music, and the popularity of coffee in Seattle, etc... So you honestly don't think the climate of a place has an effect on the local culture?
Even putting rain aside, water is more ingrained into Seattle's culture than just about anywhere else in the US.

Again, the multiple lakes, the Puget Sound, the ship canal, the ferries (busiest system in the world), the Ballard locks, the seafood culture, the waterfront markets, the cruise ships, the water taxis, the beaches, the many nearby islands, the many houseboats, the sea planes, the historic and modern maritime/sailor culture (e.g. Deadliest Catch crew is based in Seattle) the abundant boating and fishing, the water views throughout the city and region, etc. Water is everywhere and always close in Seattle.

(Also, locals don't use umbrellas in Seattle - it's a cultural thing.)

Last edited by Edward234; 05-23-2017 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 PM

492 posts, read 534,880 times
Miami will take this easily. Seattle has fair bit of water but the weather is cold for most of the year to do anything with water except for views..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:00 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Water comes in many forms, I'll go with Chicago, which sits on the world's largest freshwater lake. Most boat slips of any city in the nation. Two water routes out to the Atlantic or down to the Gulf. The Chicago River is increasingly at the heart of the city, and throughout the region there are countless lakes, rivers , streams, bogs, swamps, drainage ponds, and the world's largest sewer, the Deep Tunnel.

Tremendous rainstorms, thick summer humidity, peasoup fog, drizzle, mist, hail, seasonal flooding, flooded basements, puddles and frozen water in the form of snow, blizzards, hockey rinks, outdoor skating rinks, even curling etc. and Chicago covers all the bases when it comes to water. We just skip icky saltwater.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:24 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Water comes in many forms, I'll go with Chicago, which sits on the world's largest freshwater lake.
Chicago sits on Lake Superior?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_by_area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City