Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:03 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I really hope people are not voting for Seattle just because it rains a lot! I can see people saying Seattle has a strong relationship with the Puget Sound or Lake Washington but rain itself has nothing to do with culture.

Regardless of the reason, anyone who even remotely knows South Florida and is honest will say the winner for this poll should be Miami. The real battle is for SECOND place.
Why? It's rainy climate has been contributed as part of the reason for the "Seattle Freeze", Grunge music, and the popularity of coffee in Seattle, etc... So you honestly don't think the climate of a place has an effect on the local culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 02:24 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why? It's rainy climate has been contributed as part of the reason for the "Seattle Freeze", Grunge music, and the popularity of coffee in Seattle, etc... So you honestly don't think the climate of a place has an effect on the local culture?
What does rain have to do with the popularity of coffee in Seattle?

Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You can swim in cold water. You just can't do it for long without a wet suit. Your heart rate will increase and your veins will constrict causing you to lose feel in your limbs. And if you can't move your limbs, then you can't tread water.
Well I can last about a good half hour in the Puget sound and during heat waves even more. (however I do take small breaks and go to shallower areas and stand up to my waist before going back out to swim) Also the surface of the water is warmer than what is down below so if you float on your back it's not as bad. The water in the Puget sound can hit the lower 60s in the summer but usually in the mid to upper 50s. Anyway I still think that Miami should win the poll.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:43 PM

591 posts, read 820,239 times
Quote:
Probably has to do with locals enjoying being inside a warm, cozy coffee shop on a cold and rainy day.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well I can last about a good half hour in the Puget sound and during heat waves even more. (however I do take small breaks and go to shallower areas and stand up to my waist before going back out to swim) Also the surface of the water is warmer than what is down below so if you float on your back it's not as bad. The water in the Puget sound can hit the lower 60s in the summer but usually in the mid to upper 50s. Anyway I still think that Miami should win the poll.
You can swim in water even colder than that, but you can't do it for long. Most posters on C-D seem to think air temperature and water temperature are the same thing, hence the "I don't want to swim in Miami's bathwater!" statements. But the pools Michael Phelps swims in are around 80 degrees on average and there's no one in this subforum that comes close to expending the amount of energy he does on a single lap. At 80 degrees, a fair number of people will recoil after sticking their foot in the water, and will often need a few minutes to get acclimated to the water temperature.

Once you get below a certain temperature, 99% of the people you see in the water will be triathletes, and 95% of them will be wearing wet suits.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Probably has to do with locals enjoying being inside a warm, cozy coffee shop on a cold and rainy day.
That seems logical, but then coffee, or cafecita, is a popular beverage in Miami and throughout much of Latin America. It's also popular in Italy, which for the most part does not have a cold or rainy climate. The Northeastern U.S. has its fair share of cold, dreary days, but there doesn't seem to be as much of a coffee culture here.

Here's one article I found on coffee's popularity in Seattle.

Quote:
Coffee's image has come a long way to land on the pages of Teen People. After World War II, "coffee was perceived as an old-fashioned drink of the older generation, of businessmen and gossiping housewives," explains Mark Pendergrast, author of "Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World." Not only was the quality of most American coffee atrocious, stale before it went into the can and brewed vapid in percolators, he says, but "the advertising was abysmal as well, with Mrs. Olsen and Aunt Cora exhorting housewives to save their marriages by serving good coffee." It's no surprise Coke and Pepsi were able to steal away the boomers.

Then came the beatnik cafes of the 1960s, which introduced fringe types to the European coffeehouse. Seattle historian Walt Crowley hung out as a teenager in the mid-'60s on The Ave at the Eigerwand, which boasted one of the first espresso machines in town. "I would sit around and espouse Marxism and write and read bad poetry."

Far from the mainstream teen hangout that coffee bars have become, he says, "Going to a coffeehouse was a statement. You weren't hanging out at Dick's or Burger Master with the muscle-car guys after the football game or at the soda fountain like the glee club. It was about rebelling and smoking with eclectic, potentially dangerous people."

A succession of coffeehouses in the U-District and Capitol Hill has served generations of outré high schoolers, who drove over from the suburbs to saddle up next to college students and act as bitter as the coffee. Some still do. But for the most part, coffee has come to them.
| Coffee Cool: The 'other' teen drinking scene | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 05-23-2017, 02:56 PM

429 posts, read 479,462 times
Water defines everything in Seattle - the lakes, the sound, the ship canal, the beaches, the ferries, the islands, the locks, etc. The city basically revolves around water. And the maritime culture is second to none (e.g. The Deadliest Catch crew is based out of the Seattle, Seattle has the busiest Ferry system in the world, house boats are everywhere, etc.)

Old 05-23-2017, 02:56 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
"In the late 1960s and early ‘70s, coffeehouses began to pop up around the city as bohemian culture melded with the desire for hot brews during Seattle’s rainy months. "

Seattle's Coffee Culture - Your Destination Guide to Seattle

Old 05-23-2017, 03:00 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
You can swim in water even colder than that, but you can't do it for long. Most posters on C-D seem to think air temperature and water temperature are the same thing, hence the "I don't want to swim in Miami's bathwater!" statements. But the pools Michael Phelps swims in are around 80 degrees on average and there's no one in this subforum that comes close to expending the amount of energy he does on a single lap. At 80 degrees, a fair number of people will recoil after sticking their foot in the water, and will often need a few minutes to get acclimated to the water temperature.

Once you get below a certain temperature, 99% of the people you see in the water will be triathletes, and 95% of them will be wearing wet suits.
That is true, I used to think that as well until one day when I went into a pool that was 70F and I though it was going to be very warm like bath water, but it turned out it was still cold and took a while for me to acclimatize.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
That is true, I used to think that as well until one day when I went into a pool that was 70F and I though it was going to be very warm like bath water, but it turned out it was still cold and took a while for me to acclimatize.
Water in the high 70s is great when you are training for a meet. It's not so great if you just want to be in the water with friends/family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City