Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:55 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sure, I agree with that. But it doesn't mean that rain is as big a part of Seattle's identity and culture as the beach, ocean, water sports, etc., are a part of Miami's identity and culture. People don't go to Seattle for its rain. They go for other reasons and the rain just happens to be there much of the time incidentally.

This forum is about comparing cities.
Ok? For the like the third time, I wasn't comparing Seattle to Miami so I don't get why you keep repeating this. I don't care nor was I even talking about why people go to either city so not sure why you're even talking about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 04:01 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Lmao, wtf are people doing in the water in any of these cities that people are not doing in LA? Baltimore? Does Baltimore even have a beach? Or NOLA. You can't even swim in the water in Seattle! Stop with this crap nonsense.
You can't swim in Puget Sound (though you can scuba dive in it), but you can certainly swim in our lakes. For a few months when the air isn't too cold. There's probably 50 miles of waterfront on Lake Washington alone (much of that within Seattle city limits), including numerous public parks with beaches.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore doesn't have a beach, but there air plenty of things to do on and around the water. Mode of transportation, recreation, crabbing, the Inner Harbor, cruises... So, yes, the water is a Baltimore part of Baltimore's culture.
Yea except the vast majority of Baltimore's population is poor, black, and not spending their leisure time crabbing in the bay.

So how is that any different than LA?

The number of people on the LA basin that live with in a 20 minute walk to the nearest beach is larger than the entire city of Baltimore. Let that sink in for a second.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Yea except the vast majority of Baltimore's population is poor, black, and not spending their leisure time crabbing in the bay.

The number of people on the LA basin that live with in a 20 minute walk to the nearest beach is larger than the entire city of Baltimore. Let that sink in for a second.
Pulling a race demeaning card and a whole city in a mere forum discussion is waaay overkill and uncalled for. LA needs no defense to mock another city in a chat forum by race. Your ID fits well but a race card is too far.... Baltimore isn't even in the poll.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:00 AM

690 posts, read 1,006,664 times
Quote:

The sword cuts both ways whether your the provider or consumers of crabs. Baltimore is known for their seafood cuisine specifically the Maryland Crab. LA is not know for a signiture seafood dish. The specific demographic you refer to might not spend there time crabbing in the bay but I can assure you alot of people spend their time enjoying them rather you are white or black. So I find no reason get all political.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:

I'm not sure about Baltimore but crabbing and shrimping is an industry here, and the crew typically resemble the racial diversity of the area. It's not just for leisure.

Fishing in general doesn't seem to be a big part of LA's economy.

And everyone else is an hour or two in traffic away from the beach LOL.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok? For the like the third time, I wasn't comparing Seattle to Miami so I don't get why you keep repeating this.
Like I said, the sole purpose of c-v-c is for comparing cities. That is what we do here.

But anyway, I suspect that you believe that Seattle is the U.S. city most associated with water. You place a lot of importance on rain/drizzle over many other factors for some reason.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:31 AM

70 posts, read 101,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
In which of the following cities is water (oceans, lakes, gulfs, sounds etc.) most ingrained in its culture?
This can range from cuisine to water sports to boating to scenery to general city atmosphere.... all fair game.

Seems like you took a very coastal view to this question, even though you included lakes in your example but forgot to include rivers. A broader view of this question would have prompted you to include cities like Chicago and Detroit (Great Lakes cities) as well as Minneapolis (extensive large, in-city lakes + the Mississippi River).

Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Like I said, the sole purpose of c-v-c is for comparing cities. That is what we do here.

But anyway, I suspect that you believe that Seattle is the U.S. city most associated with water. You place a lot of importance on rain/drizzle over many other factors for some reason.
Ok, that doesn't mean every single post has to involve a direct comparison of another city. Believe or not you can actually speak about just individual cities in posts on this forum too and people do it all the time.

I never said that or indicated that at all so not sure why you believe that. In fact I already stated what city I feel "wins" this poll and it wasn't Seattle. You seem really confused, I was simply pointing out that Seattle is known for its rainy climate and it's a big part of its identity because you seem to be the only person on this forum, and in general, that was unaware of that. But you again seem to reading way too much into that as you have been this entire time with my posts.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:27 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I was curious about this and tried to look it up. I thought for sure NY would've bag this as well, but I was surprised by this:

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/r...cfo/highlights

I should note it's using 2009 info, though.

WA: over 15 million passengers, almost 10 million vehicles and 1200.2 Route miles
NY: over 11 million passengers, over 2.5 million vehicles and 259.7 route miles.
Good find. It would be interesting to see a breakdown by metro since a lot of NYC ferry commuting likely comes from New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City