Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Definitely Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Minneapolis is very water oriented. It is in the name of the city (Minnea comes from the Dakota word for water). There is a chain of lakes running though the heart of the city. There are 300 plus lakes in the metro. Almost everybody lives near one, so going to the lake is a thing people do here as part of their daily lives.
Exactly, I was surprised that Minneapolis wasn't included in this poll. The official nickname is "The City of Lakes", for crying out loud. The city logo is a sailboat!

The city has a major festival every July called the Aquatennial that's all about the celebration of our lakes and rivers and includes boat races, a sand sculpture contest, a dragon boat festival, a water show on the Mississippi River, fireworks, a triathlon, and all sorts of other water-related events.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:13 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Other: Tampa Bay (Includes the entire metro.)

Old 02-25-2019, 05:29 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Exactly, I was surprised that Minneapolis wasn't included in this poll. The official nickname is "The City of Lakes", for crying out loud. The city logo is a sailboat!

The city has a major festival every July called the Aquatennial that's all about the celebration of our lakes and rivers and includes boat races, a sand sculpture contest, a dragon boat festival, a water show on the Mississippi River, fireworks, a triathlon, and all sorts of other water-related events.
Fully agree Growing up, I had cousins and an aunt that lived in the Minneapolis area and my paternal grandmother in Iowa. Every summer we would travel there from Upstate NY to visit them. I remember all of the water-related events even back then and we'll just say it was some years ago, lol.

Minneapolis is very much a water-oriented city and Minnesota itself is filled with tons of lakes/rivers/etc. I typically think of Minnesota, Chicago, Buffalo or pretty much any city in Michigan as a 'water city'. Milwaukee and my own city would be decent contenders as would Rochester, NY.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Water is heavily ingrained into virtually every aspect of Seattle's culture, but it's much more of a general maritime culture than a beach/swimming culture like Miami (although there are some surprisingly nice beaches).

Old 02-25-2019, 05:48 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
I mean, quite frankly, I don't see anything coming close to Miami and Tampa on the US Mainland...

Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I mean, quite frankly, I don't see anything coming close to Miami and Tampa on the US Mainland...
Places like Portland or New Bedford the sea is the lifeblood of the town. New Bedford’s economy is dependent of the Sea, it’s a City of 90,000 but the biggest fishing port on the Eastern Seaboard.

Miamians might but it’s recreational something you do after work or on the weekends.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Fully agree Growing up, I had cousins and an aunt that lived in the Minneapolis area and my paternal grandmother in Iowa. Every summer we would travel there from Upstate NY to visit them. I remember all of the water-related events even back then and we'll just say it was some years ago, lol.

Minneapolis is very much a water-oriented city and Minnesota itself is filled with tons of lakes/rivers/etc. I typically think of Minnesota, Chicago, Buffalo or pretty much any city in Michigan as a 'water city'. Milwaukee and my own city would be decent contenders as would Rochester, NY.
I agree. Great Lakes cities that embrace them and may have rivers too work. Minneapolis clearly has plenty of water assets and city forest and river.

By water ingrained in its culture. Is more in a city that makes the most of its water assets. Yes some can't year round. But still summers make way for as much use as they can.

When you have a Core and city length lakefront like Chicago's too..... that embraced its lakefront and the river much more now too. It clearly appears even as a ocean fronted city. Having beaches and harbors, fishing even in its core, boating huge with public Parkland of attractions. It still should rank by its water assets utilized to their fullest for a list. Not first no one would. But still ....

No one should push against Miami with next door Miami Beach to Ft Lauderdale and the Everglades to its west.

I remember a year I go. I discovered a aspect of Goggle search that for Miami got one if the grouping of photos if Miami and even as a larger one .... I got a Big .... Since I knew of course, it was not Miami, but Chicago from the lookout on top of its (formally named) 100 story John Hancock building. It did get corrected then, not sure though how long it took and was listed as a photo for Miami?

This was the Chicago scene photo they had for Miami by goggle search of Miami .

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:57 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Minneapolis clearly has plenty of water assets and city forest and river.

By water ingrained in its culture. Is more in a city that makes the most of its water assets. Yes some can't year round. But still summers make way for as much use as they can.
Actually, Minneapolis does use its lakes/waterways year-round. In the winter, we have the US Pond Hockey Championships, the City of Lakes Loppet, The Art Shanty Festival, The Polar Plunge, ice fishing, ice sailing, and skiing which all happen on the frozen lakes.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:29 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Actually, Minneapolis does use its lakes/waterways year-round. In the winter, we have the US Pond Hockey Championships, the City of Lakes Loppet, The Art Shanty Festival, The Polar Plunge, ice fishing, ice sailing, and skiing which all happen on the frozen lakes.
He never said it didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City