Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 06:39 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
How does Seattle have so many votes? Are people voting for it because it rains a lot there lol?
I voted Seattle. The city is a narrow isthmus surrounded by water. You can't go from one neighborhood to the next without crossing a bridge.

We got salmon runs, seaplanes landing in the middle of the city, boat houses, biggest and busiest ferry system in the country, great seafood, orca whales, and even a real rainforest. The hockey team is called the Kraken.

Took this shot yesterday from Seattle overlooking Puget Sound (own work).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 08:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Hampton Roads perhaps?

Old 11-30-2020, 09:14 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
The OP created this thread in 2017 and included Lakes. Perhaps since Seattle on the list has the lake too besides Sound etc. But the list of cities are clearly ocean cities or along the coast by inlets. CLEARLY I WOULD SAY CHICAGO IS A HONORABLE MENTION AS IS OTHER CITIES.....with its beaches and harbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
In which of the following cities is water (oceans, lakes, gulfs, sounds etc.) most ingrained in its culture?
This can range from cuisine to water sports to boating to scenery to general city atmosphere.... all fair game.
One can clearly see why Miami won the poll with year-round recreation on the water and plenty of large yachts over smaller ones probably? Some mentioned Northern cities coastal and for example Chicago on Lake Michigan. Sad it cannot utilize its shores much more year-round with real winters.

Still a city as Chicago has more then 6000 moorings/slips for boats/yachts with 26 miles within the city limits that border Lake Michigan and fishing is plentiful onshore and those who wish to do it by boat.
Does not hurt to point this out despite not with more year-round availability of some other cities. Not saying this city would have or should have won a poll against some of these other cities. Still one can make a case for inclusion ...

https://www.chicagoharbors.info/slip...s%20to%20offer.

Memorial Day (weather permitting) thru Labor Day with the 4th of July generally the largest boat party
in the Playpen off shore of downtown Chicago.... has these boat parties the occur. This year had I believe
some scaled down despite city not wanting them. Jet-skiing and even during the summer wind-surfing since
the Lakes when they are are less riled up are safe for it are also polar and of course the people who head to the
Lakefront parks, concrete portions and beaches. Just this year the beaches were closed yet concrete portions are
treated as if a beach and can be viewed in HD if changed.

Last year 2019 a boat/yacht party downtown in Lake Michigan's blue-green waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQnVUlIZP44&t=84s

Inlet north of downtown to one of the cities harbors and people who line the lakefront.
Boaters and Jet-skiers entering and exiting the inlet to the harbor here to the open lake.
This year despite the Pandemic when beaches were closed. People still enjoyed the lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YbSuPIc50&t=53s

Old 11-30-2020, 09:32 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Miami, Boston and Seattle.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:51 AM

747 posts, read 496,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I voted Seattle. The city is a narrow isthmus surrounded by water. You can't go from one neighborhood to the next without crossing a bridge.

We got salmon runs, seaplanes landing in the middle of the city, boat houses, biggest and busiest ferry system in the country, great seafood, orca whales, and even a real rainforest. The hockey team is called the Kraken.

Took this shot yesterday from Seattle overlooking Puget Sound (own work).
What a surprise.

According to the OP, Miami, EASILY. Seattle’s water is near freezing most of the year, rendering water sports, boating, and general city atmosphere moot. LA is second on this list.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:31 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
What a surprise.

According to the OP, Miami, EASILY. Seattle’s water is near freezing most of the year, rendering water sports, boating, and general city atmosphere moot. LA is second on this list.
Miami. With the ocean nearby, bay, drainage canals, torrential rains, flooding tides, Everglades, tropical storms, high humidity, flat terrain that collects water, and constant layers of sweat on the body and soaked thru clothing - no city has a more watery culture.

Honorable mentions are Houston and New Orleans - rain, floods, and humidity - but not right on the ocean. People there go thru most of the year with wet clothing.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:32 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
The question should’ve of been after Miami which city? Although the correct answer above Miami is Honolulu.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 AM

386 posts, read 986,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hampton Roads perhaps?
I don't see how people keep overlooking the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area of Virginia. It should be one of the top three answers easily!

Old 12-01-2020, 11:45 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
What a surprise.

Yeah, I have swum in Puget Sound exactly once and it was not a pleasant experience. You really need to get out to Moses Lake, Lake Coeur d'Alene, or Lake Chelan, which are several hours away --- I've also had a good time at the Snake River and Lake Lowell near Boise.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:25 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I don't see how people keep overlooking the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area of Virginia. It should be one of the top three answers easily!
Honestly I always forget that metro exists, which is surprising since it's reasonably big. I hear more about Chattanooga than I ever do about Norfolk etc.

I voted Boston. Closer to the wide open ocean than Seattle, plus there's the Charles River. I have not been to Miami though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City