Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 10:57 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I say almost because you can drive west of Kenner and not have to cross over any significant bodies of water. But yes, in every other direction is the Mississippi, a lake or some mass uninhabitable swampland.
The spillway goes over the lake though. You cross a major body of water in any direction leaving the south shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Miami is the only city in the continental U.S. that has water suitable for swimming year round.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html

The average water temperature in January (71) is warmer than the water temperature in Los Angeles in August (68). And keep in mind that 71 isn't really that warm for the average person looking to splash around.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:04 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Say what you said (Water much more ingrained in Chas than it is in LA).
For the reasons I just listed? LA sits on the ocean and obviously has a huge port, but water is not as "ingrained" in peoples lives like Charleston. LA sprawls out into the Inland Empire, where it's clearly moot. You are never far from water in Charleston, whether it be the ocean, river, lake, or creek.

Charleston has 4 rivers that shape the metro, and not just geographically, but in terms of daily life. Those rivers separate cities, demographics, and politics. Charleston is like New York and San Francisco where all those rivers require a lot of bridges, which bottleneck traffic. To go from one end of Charleston to the other will require you to cross 3 rivers. LA has the LA River, but come on...once you get away from the coast, you have a nice inland vibe.

I've heard that beaching in LA is not as common as TV makes you think, because of 1. LA traffic, 2. parking, and 3. crowds. Charleston doesn't have that problem, even with tourists. There can be traffic, but if you want to go to the beach, you can go to the beach. You don't have to check the time, check the traffic report, and hope you get a meter. You can park on peoples property.

I don't know how LA treats marine life, I'm sure its with respect, but Charleston really goes out of the way for animals as I mentioned in my post (I may have edited that in after you read it). The wattage on the bridge lights was supposed to be 117,000, and they reduced it to 37,000 just for sea turtles.

Even the food and cuisine is molded by the water. You get criticized if you go to Red Lobster, because there's so many options to get fresh seafood picked out the water hours earlier. Charleston is known for it's low country cuisine, which is seafood heavy. LA not so much. Some places in Chas you can't escape the smell of saltwater, and it has even posed an issue with erosion and rust. Does someone in Ontario or Anaheim have to worry about that? LA doesn't have to worry about hurricanes every fall, or sea level rise in the future either.

There is a reason LA is dead last with 1 vote. If Charleston was larger, it would have been included. Water and Charleston go hand and hand. Charleston is a much smaller Miami. The two cities have a few similarities. There are also some similarities with NY. It's a fast growing place, but still small for CD standards.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The spillway goes over the lake though. You cross a major body of water in any direction leaving the south shore.
Not if you take HWY 61.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Not if you take HWY 61.
True. Still, that's a small area where there actually is land.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Norfolk should be at the top of your list.

The worlds largest Naval Base

The worlds largest shipyard (Newport news) - unless that record has changed.

The worlds longest bridge tunnel - unless that record has changed.

A famous beach and boardwalk, with deep.sea fishing.

Headquarters marine research facility of the famous marine scientist, Cousteau.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:35 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Norfolk should be at the top of your list.
The worlds largest Naval Base

The worlds largest shipyard (Newport news) - unless that record had changed.

Possibly the worlds longest bridge tunnel - unless that record has changed.

A famous beach and boardwalk, with deep.sea fishing.

Headquarters marine research facility of the famous marine scientist, Cousteau.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
For the reasons I just listed? LA sits on the ocean and obviously has a huge port, but water is not as "ingrained" in peoples lives like Charleston. LA sprawls out into the Inland Empire, where it's clearly moot. You are never far from water in Charleston, whether it be the ocean, river, lake, or creek.
I can see how distance from water could be a factor but I'm not sure why that would be dispositive. You are never far from water in NYC either, but I wouldn't say NYC has a more "ingrained" water culture than Los Angeles. Rhode Island is called "The Ocean State" yet you don't really see anyone making an argument for Providence here.

I've never lived in Los Angeles so I can't speak to its "water culture." But I think some of the things you may be saying about LA (i.e., not as much attention given to marine life) may be based on speculation, not any facts or experience living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Charleston is a much smaller Miami.
Is this intended to be sarcastic? Charleston is not remotely close to Miami as far as the things specified in the OP. There are some nice areas in and around Charleston like the Isle of Palms, but it gets cold down there, and it's really more of a seasonal thing like the Jersey Shore and certain parts of Long Island. The water temperature in Miami rarely if ever drops below 70 degrees, which allows year-round water recreation of any type. I don't see how the two are comparable.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Miami Marlins & Miami Dolphins.
Our team's namesakes live in the water!
UM Hurricanes: Our main university's team name is water!
Seattle's soccer team name refers to a body of water. Seattle Sounders FC(Puget Sound).

Old 05-12-2017, 12:56 PM

Only in Miami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkuR8ODzo1Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City