Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best city among these cities ?
Cincinnati 23 9.47%
Cleveland 19 7.82%
Detroit 22 9.05%
Indianapolis 14 5.76%
Kansas City 17 7.00%
Milwaukee 12 4.94%
St. Louis 22 9.05%
Minneapolis 107 44.03%
Omaha 7 2.88%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 05:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis by a fairly wide margin imo. It bucks the Midwestern trend in a lot of ways in that it has all of the following: economic and population growth, safety, progressive social policies, intelligent urban planning, comparatively little blight, and a nice natural setting. Some other Midwestern cities have some of those characteristics, but none other has all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 06:33 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
If I had to live in one of the cities on the list I'd go with Milwaukee.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Minneapolis by a fairly wide margin imo. It bucks the Midwestern trend in a lot of ways in that it has all of the following: economic and population growth, safety, progressive social policies, intelligent urban planning, comparatively little blight, and a nice natural setting. Some other Midwestern cities have some of those characteristics, but none other has all of them.
Agreed. If it wasn't -40 degrees for half the year I'd love to live in St. Paul.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Agreed. If it wasn't -40 degrees for half the year I'd love to live in St. Paul.
Umm, I think you're a little off regarding the climate of the Twin Cities.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Actually the core neighborhoods of Columbus surrounding downtown tend to be more upscale and safer (Short North, Victorian Village/Harrison West, German Village) etc. or gentrifying like Weinland Park or Olde Towne East. The truly crappy neighborhoods that continue to decline are Northland, South Linden, Hilltop or Whitehall/far east side and they are pretty strip mally and sprawly and very 1950's-80's auto centric designs.

You're right, Columbus is no mayberry. But that being said it compares favorably to most other large Midwestern/northern cities in terms of crime, Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Buffalo etc.
Yeah, I'm not trying to trash C-bus by any means but having lived near campus (OSU), which isn't in the worst areas of Columbus but it's close to some of them, I have seen enough to know that crime there isn't good. The annual homicide rate when I lived there topped 100. Campus living in many cities (incl. Minneapolis) isn't always peaches but I was very turned off by the crime when I lived there and it didn't seem like the City/police cared that much about doing anything about it. That was over 10 years ago though...

Old 05-16-2017, 10:06 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Agreed. Minneapolis is more aligned with cities like Denver and Seattle.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If I had to live in one of the cities on the list I'd go with Milwaukee.
Same here. While I think Minneapolis is the best city overall after Chicago in the Midwest, I would rather live in Milwaukee. Close to Chicago and Madison, and I think it's a more interesting city too, in regards to vibe, and culture. But Minneapolis does overtake Milwaukee in A LOT of categories.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Way to exaggerate there.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Agreed. That's why I like Minneapolis so much. It's doing everything right. There are some other cities in the Midwest I like, but none of them have the complete package.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Umm, I think you're a little off regarding the climate of the Twin Cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Way to exaggerate there.
St. Paul is actually a city I've always admired from afar due to its crunchy vibe, historic architecture, and walkable neighborhoods.

Naturally I was being facetious. The climate is too cold for many tastes, including mine, though, even if it's not "-40 for half the year".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City