Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 5 CSAs have the best universities?
Atlanta 11 5.82%
Austin 4 2.12%
Boston 134 70.90%
Chicago 66 34.92%
Cleveland-Akron 5 2.65%
Columbus 1 0.53%
Dallas-Fort Worth 3 1.59%
Denver 1 0.53%
Detroit 3 1.59%
Houston 4 2.12%
Los Angeles 74 39.15%
Miami 1 0.53%
Minneapolis-Saint Paul 3 1.59%
New York 100 52.91%
Orlando 0 0%
Philadelphia 70 37.04%
Phoenix 1 0.53%
Pittsburgh 12 6.35%
Portland 0 0%
Raleigh-Durham 22 11.64%
Salt Lake City 1 0.53%
San Diego 1 0.53%
San Francisco-San Jose 90 47.62%
Seattle 3 1.59%
Tampa-Saint Petersburg 0 0%
Washington-Baltimore 44 23.28%
Other 6 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 AM

324 posts, read 402,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
CSA was chosen by the OP, to boost some cities. MSA is the usual standard.
Why is it that when someone chooses to use CSAs as their metric, which is very appropriate for THIS topic, the discussion always devolves into a CSA v MSA argument. Evidently, the MSA isn't the usual standard for THIS OP!!! And besides, CSAs are appropriate for regional comparisons, as opposed to MSAs which split many regions up. Let's use Washington and Baltimore, for example. The two cities are only 35 miles apart, and have overlapping suburbs. NEWSFLASH: they are in the same metropolitan area, with DC obviously being the top dog in the region and Balt being a somewhat distant runner-up. I'm pretty sure that some will pout in response to this, but facts are facts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I personally don't associate Princeton, New Jersey and New Haven, Connecticut with the New York City area, I see those cities as their own regions.

Personally I consider any top 200 school in the nation to be prestigious given there are tens of thousands of colleges and universities in America. The "lowest" tier of what I would still consider highly respected schools would include WVU, LSU, Auburn University, the College of Charleston, Ohio State, and NC State.

Also I've noticed that while the Northeast is known for its elite private schools (though with the issues at Yale and stuff I don't even know if they're that respectable), the South has far better public universities. You have schools like UNC, NC State, the University of Virginia, LSU, University of Georgia, University of South Carolina, WVU, Florida State, University of Florida and the University of Alabama which are all far more respected than schools like the University of Maine, University of New Hampshire, Rutgers, UConn, University of Rhode Island, Vermont, etc etc. The majority of the SUNY schools are also not very respected compared to a lot of the public universities in the South. If you include Maryland in the South then the University of Maryland is also far superior than most of the public schools north of it.

I'd say that Penn State is probably the best public university in the Northeast.
I would add the University of Texas to the list of elite southern public Us... I would cross off schools like LSU, USC and WVU. These are all middle-of-the-road schools, not in the league of UNC, UVA, UF or U.Texas.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
The LA area also has some of the best LACs in Pomona, Harvey Mudd, & Claremont McKenna.
And Occidental which is not part of the 5Cs. LA area also has some really notable art schools.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
I would say Boston by far also Yale and Princeton really does not count as NYC metro.

Last edited by Vanderbiltgrad; 05-16-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,470 times
MIT is always underrated in these college polls. What an effing joke.
MIT is the Death Star.... by which all others shall be measured.
It's also part of the black budget, so you don't even know its true size.....
Its footprint is also getting larger w/ >$4B in real estate projects in various stages of planning and construction.
Yes, you will bow to the Death Star, and you will like it.
how to be #1 in everything.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...conomic-growth

The 50 Top Research Universities - Best College Reviews

Last edited by odurandina; 05-16-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Why is it that when someone chooses to use CSAs as their metric, which is very appropriate for THIS topic, the discussion always devolves into a CSA v MSA argument. Evidently, the MSA isn't the usual standard for THIS OP!!! And besides, CSAs are appropriate for regional comparisons, as opposed to MSAs which split many regions up. Let's use Washington and Baltimore, for example. The two cities are only 35 miles apart, and have overlapping suburbs. NEWSFLASH: they are in the same metropolitan area, with DC obviously being the top dog in the region and Balt being a somewhat distant runner-up. I'm pretty sure that some will pout in response to this, but facts are facts!!
Yea, no, they're not in the same metropolitan area. That's why they're two separate MSAs.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I personally don't associate Princeton, New Jersey and New Haven, Connecticut with the New York City area, I see those cities as their own regions.

Personally I consider any top 200 school in the nation to be prestigious given there are tens of thousands of colleges and universities in America. The "lowest" tier of what I would still consider highly respected schools would include WVU, LSU, Auburn University, the College of Charleston, Ohio State, and NC State.

Also I've noticed that while the Northeast is known for its elite private schools (though with the issues at Yale and stuff I don't even know if they're that respectable), the South has far better public universities. You have schools like UNC, NC State, the University of Virginia, LSU, University of Georgia, University of South Carolina, WVU, Florida State, University of Florida and the University of Alabama which are all far more respected than schools like the University of Maine, University of New Hampshire, Rutgers, UConn, University of Rhode Island, Vermont, etc etc. The majority of the SUNY schools are also not very respected compared to a lot of the public universities in the South. If you include Maryland in the South then the University of Maryland is also far superior than most of the public schools north of it.

I'd say that Penn State is probably the best public university in the Northeast.
While you're correct in saying that Penn State and Maryland are the best public schools in the Northeast, there are several public schools right behind them in terms of reputation and ranking. UConn is actually tied with UMD, while Pittsburgh, Rutgers, UMass-Amherst and UD are all top 30 ranked public schools.

I think what actually drives the South's large public schools' excellence is college football, believe it or not. Those massive programs generate huge amounts of revenue and exposure for those schools, which in turn drives high enrollment and academic output. All of the Northeast schools above, excluding Penn State and possibly Pitt, aren't football powers (and Pitt's basketball program has surpassed its football program). College basketball, hockey and lacrosse tend to dominate the Northeast schools, which aren't nearly as big of a draw as college football. It's no coincidence, imo, that Penn State, which has the most popular, competitive football program in the Northeast, and is also in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, is most similar to the large public colleges down South in terms of rankings and student body size.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:50 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Not even then. All that does is give "New York" three elite, top 15 schools (Yale, Princeton and Columbia), but "Boston" has that as well (Harvard, MIT, Brown), in addition to having better secondary schools (BU, UMass, BC, Tufts, Brandeis, etc.). Greater Boston is unquestionably the higher education capital of the world.
You forgot Wellesley.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You forgot Wellesley.
No, I didn't even bring liberal arts schools into the equation, but if I had, Boston would win on that, too. It has Wellesley at 3, while New York has Vassar at 12 (2 hours outside the city) and Barnard (Columbia) at 27. Really, the only area I'd say New York has a clear leg up on Boston in higher education would be performing arts colleges.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM

149 posts, read 153,745 times
It's fun to see people acting like they know more about a place than those who actually live there.

They look at rankings on paper (CSA) to determine things, when in actuality, it's not close to reality.

So yes, it does always turn into an MSA and CSA debate, because people don't know what they're talking about.

Washington and Baltimore are separate. Philadelphia and New York both lay claim to Princeton. For those of us who have actually lived in the area.

Dumb thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City