Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 178 54.27%
Kansas City 150 45.73%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:56 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times

Advertisements

Austin prides itself for being progressive. If it were in any other state but Texas, however, it wouldn't stand out remakably progressive when compared with most similarly sized metros. Its advertising campaign is "Keep Austin Weird." If it takes an effort, is it really weird?

Over-hyped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
For anyone who doesn't like hot weather, Austin is not your cup of tea. Temps started reaching the mid-80s back in March this year and have tended to top out at the mid- to high-80s and low-90s since then. I remember going to an outdoor concert at Stubbs BBQ one August a few years back: Rufus Wainwright preceded by A Fine Frenzy and Neko Case. Great concert - lasted until midnight. The only problem was that it didn't cool down until around 11 pm.

Some may like the heat. I don't.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Downtown residents:

KC 24,0000 now, 33,000 within five years. (KC may not have a dozen towers going up, but it has a LOT of infill).
http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...e84819842.html

Austin 12,000 now. (not sure about estimates for five years)
https://austintexas.gov/faq/how-many...-live-downtown

Old 05-30-2017, 01:22 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Austin prides itself for being progressive. If it were in any other state but Texas, however, it wouldn't stand out remakably progressive when compared with most similarly sized metros. Its advertising campaign is "Keep Austin Weird." If it takes an effort, is it really weird?

Over-hyped.
You and I are generally on the same wave length. Keep Austin Weird is now copied by multiple cities. It's a great town. How many metro areas havea 68 degree, spring fed pool a mile from downtown? Great festivals, really nice people and it's very young. Nothing against KC, it was nice enough when I went, but I think Austin has a better vibe.

Also, as far as weather, the heat in Austin is indeed unbearable, but I've heard KC can get hot too. But, I'd prefer the 4 seasons.

So, I guess it depends what you want. If you want to raise a family, KC is likely a better choice. It is cheaper. Single and under 30? I think Austin is very hard to beat. There's something to do every weekend and the water is always there to beat the heat.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:25 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:

Over-hyped.
And Austin is certainly more liberal than KC. KC had 38% of its votes goto Trump, Austin 27%.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
If it were in any other state but Texas, however, it wouldn't stand out remakably progressive when compared with most similarly sized metros. Its advertising campaign is "Keep Austin Weird." If it takes an effort, is it really weird?

Over-hyped.
Look, I'm not going to argue whether or not Austin is overrated or over-hyped or whatever.

But can we please stop acting like Austin is the ONLY place in Texas where there are progressive, non-conservative people? The entire state isn't Rick Perry's ideal playground.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
The ignorance some posters have shown about Austin is disappointing.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The ignorance some posters have shown about Austin is disappointing.
I agree I'm sitting back laughing.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:30 PM

146 posts, read 223,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You and I are generally on the same wave length. Keep Austin Weird is now copied by multiple cities. It's a great town. How many metro areas havea 68 degree, spring fed pool a mile from downtown? Great festivals, really nice people and it's very young. Nothing against KC, it was nice enough when I went, but I think Austin has a better vibe.
Hey Focker, KC's 5 mile core from the River Market to the Plaza/UMKC has a very young vibe, arts and music scene. Have you checked out the Crossroads Art District which has one of the highest concentrations of art galleries in the country? KC's core is as young and diverse as any city.

north-south view
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps3ipgmjgl.jpg

east-west view
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps66n9n7li.jpg

Last edited by rumba77; 05-30-2017 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 08:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,191,694 times
I visited both for a week each in the past 6 months. I enjoyed my time in Austin more than KC. Austin is a unique and exciting place with great attractions such as Barton, 6th street, great music and food (BBQ was excellent) and rolling hills to the west. Austin beats Dallas hands down for me but I would think long and hard before moving there. The heat is insane, traffic is terrible (hot car + traffic is s nightmare) and housing costs are getting hard to justify. Austin might be a better place to visit than live but I'm sure it's a nice place to live also. I can't wait to go back to Austin.

KC has nice attractions also like Ww1 museum, country club plaza, power and light and Nelson Atkins which was great. Overall it felt like a city somewhat past it's prime with great history and boring flat landscapes. I really did enjoy KC though and it has things that Austin doesn't like pro sports and lower housing costs. I think it may be a better place to live than visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City