Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most detached area?
Greater New York/The Tri State Area 6 10.71%
Greater Los Angeles 14 25.00%
Chicagoland 0 0%
Washington DC/Baltimore 4 7.14%
The Bay Area 5 8.93%
Greater Boston 2 3.57%
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex 3 5.36%
Greater Philadelphia/The Delaware Valley 1 1.79%
Greater Houston 3 5.36%
Greater Miami/South Florida 1 1.79%
Metro Atlanta 9 16.07%
Metro Detroit 4 7.14%
Greater Seattle/The Puget Sound Region 0 0%
Minneapolis-Saint Paul/The Twin Cities 0 0%
Greater Cleveland/Northeast Ohio 1 1.79%
Other 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 10:59 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Probably Los Angeles. That has a lot to do with the availability of water and the massive size of the counties in the CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
I voted Boston. I spent a lot of time in Boston and in Manchester, and they didn't feel like one CSA. Mentions I've heard in one city of the other was more like hearing someone in Dallas mention Oklahoma City than someone in Dallas mentioning Sherman, or someone in San Francisco mentioning San Jose.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I voted Boston. I spent a lot of time in Boston and in Manchester, and they didn't feel like one CSA. Mentions I've heard in one city of the other was more like hearing someone in Dallas mention Oklahoma City than someone in Dallas mentioning Sherman, or someone in San Francisco mentioning San Jose.
I would say Boston too. After all 50% of the CSA isn't in the core MSA, and it's spread over several states.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:50 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
The Detroit CSA is quite detached in my opinion. For example, Flint is included in thee CSA (as Genesee and Oakland counties border each other and there's crossover because of that,) but Flint is an entirely separate entity. And while it's a little more connected with metro Detroit than Flint is, Ann Arbor is generally it's own entity as well. The same holds true for some smaller cities included in the Detroit CSA such as Port Huron and Monroe as well.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
We all know combined statistical areas (CSAs) are the most hotly debated population metric on this forum, as they're often touted as the "ultimate" version of a city's reach which leads to their improper (or debatable) use in many comparisons. This thread, though, isn't about how they are defined and what metropolitan/micropolitan areas are or should be included. That's standardized across the board with the 15% commuter threshold, despite real world "issues".

What this thread is simply asking is, which CSA has the area that is most detached from the core? "Detached" in the sense of being isolated or not really included socially speaking, since most, if not all, of these areas are geographically furthest from the core (though feel free to disagree). And I used area rather than county to provide nuance, as all counties are not created equal in terms of size.

For example, Cecil County, MD, while part of the Philadelphia CSA, isn't covered in any of the news broadcasts here. It has the second smallest population in the entire CSA, and leans towards Baltimore in terms of sports and culture. It's inclusion is based on commuting into New Castle County, especially around Elkton, MD, but you never feel as if you are a part of Greater Philadelphia.
Using CSA, Los Angeles is the clear winner. The CSA considers places like Blythe, Needles and Baker to be part of the CSA when these places are in the middle of the desert, over 200 miles from downtown Los Angeles, Baker and Needles are more closely linked to Las Vegas and Blythe is more closely linked to Phoenix

Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Using CSA, Los Angeles is the clear winner. The CSA considers places like Blythe, Needles and Baker to be part of the CSA when these places are in the middle of the desert, over 200 miles from downtown Los Angeles, Baker and Needles are more closely linked to Las Vegas and Blythe is more closely linked to Phoenix
I think the population of the deaf he'd areas of the LA CSA are small. As most of the LA CSA is within the MSA. Most of the Providence MSA SOuth of Providence or NH North of the immediate border towns, or Worcester county from worcester west have nothing to do with Boston and are probably 25-30% of the CSA populatikn.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The Detroit CSA is quite detached in my opinion. For example, Flint is included in thee CSA (as Genesee and Oakland counties border each other and there's crossover because of that,) but Flint is an entirely separate entity. And while it's a little more connected with metro Detroit than Flint is, Ann Arbor is generally it's own entity as well. The same holds true for some smaller cities included in the Detroit CSA such as Port Huron and Monroe as well.
How connected to Detroit is Windsor, realistically?

Old 06-03-2017, 09:26 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
I still baffles me that Cecil county is part of the Philly metro. I see nothing but Ravens stuff there.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,050 times
Actually, going against the grain, I would go with Houston. There are many areas such as Grimes and Washington County that are included in the CSA, but don't seem to be as obviously connected to Houston as a more inner-ring suburb such as Spring or Pearland. I know plenty of people in Washington County that travel to Austin for amenities just as much as they do to Houston. Even some parts of Montgomery county, like the rural-urban boundary of the Woodlands and Magnolia are a result of the Houston area's development but still seem very detached.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:08 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
The real answer is: all of them. No one who has ever spent time in Baltimore felt they were in metro DC. No one who went to Princeton or Yale, says they went to school in the New York area. CSAs represent interconnected regions, not a true city metro. Some of these CSAs are larger (in land area) than Belgium. I'd hardly call that a metropolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City