Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city and/or metropolitan region is the 'Face of North America'?
New York (Greater New York) 78 50.98%
Mexico City (the Mexico City metropolitan area) 3 1.96%
Los Angeles (Greater Los Angeles) 9 5.88%
Chicago (Greater Chicago) 21 13.73%
Washington D.C. or Baltimore (the DMV MSA AND/OR Greater Washington DC-Baltimore)) 4 2.61%
San Francisco, San Jose, or Oakland (the San Francisco Bay Area) 1 0.65%
Toronto (Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area AND/OR Greater Golden Horseshoe) 8 5.23%
Boston (Greater Boston) 1 0.65%
Dallas or Fort Worth (the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex) 2 1.31%
Houston (Greater Houston) 3 1.96%
Miami or Fort Lauderdale (the South Florida Metropolis) 0 0%
Atlanta (Greater Atlanta 1 0.65%
Philadelphia (Greater Philadelphia) 2 1.31%
Montreal (Montreal metropolitan region) 2 1.31%
Detroit or Windsor (Metro Detroit-Windsor Region) 2 1.31%
Seattle (the Pudget Sound Region) 1 0.65%
San Diego or Tijuana (the San Diego/Tijuana binational conurbation) 1 0.65%
Guadalajara (Greater Guadalajara) 0 0%
Monterrey (Greater Monterrey) 1 0.65%
Phoenix (the Valley of the Sun Region) 1 0.65%
Vancouver (Greater Vancouver) 0 0%
Minneapolis or Saint Paul (the Twin Cities metropolitan area) 1 0.65%
Denver (Greater Denver) 1 0.65%
Portland (Greater Portland) 0 0%
Tampa (the Tampa Bay Area) 0 0%
Orlando (Greater Orlando) 0 0%
Cleveland (Greater Cleveland) 1 0.65%
Saint Louis (Metro Saint Louis) 1 0.65%
Puebla (the Puebla metropolitan area) 0 0%
New Orleans (the New Orleans metropolitan area) 0 0%
Las Vegas (Greater Las Vegas) 0 0%
Calgary (the Calgary metropolitan area) 0 0%
Ottawa (the Canadian National Capital Region) 0 0%
Cincinnati (the Cincinnati metropolitan area) 0 0%
Pittsburgh (the Pittsburgh metropolitan area) 0 0%
Charlotte (the Metrolina Region) 1 0.65%
San Antonio (Greater San Antonio) 0 0%
Salt Lake City (Greater Salt Lake) 1 0.65%
Austin (Greater Austin) 0 0%
Sacramento (Greater Sacramento) 1 0.65%
Columbus (Greater Columbus) 0 0%
Indianapolis (Greater Indianapolis) 0 0%
Louisville (the Louisville metropolitan area) 3 1.96%
Kansas City (Greater Kansas City) 2 1.31%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I picked NYC for various reasons:

-It's the largest city in America. Mexico City is the largest in NA, but NYC is the most powerful, the most recognized, and the most cosmopolitan city on the continent!

-The most famous buildings such as the Freedom Tower and the Empire State Building are located here, as well as the Statue of Liberty, and not to mention the most famous skyline is in NYC!

-It's the media, the fashion, the advertising, and the financial and economic capital of the world, if not the continent!

-It's a global hub, meaning the United Nations is located here, as well as having the most consulates and embassies here, more than in any city in NA!

-When you ask people around the world which city is the most famous, some will say London, and others will say Paris, but the first American city that will roll of people's tongues will be NYC, and that's no argument!
It's actually Washington DC, with 177 embassies or missions. Then Ottawa at 130. Then New York at 117. Then Mexico City at 87, then Los Angeles with 66.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:54 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
New York City

Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 PM

123 posts, read 160,133 times
Chicago or Toronto.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 AM

33 posts, read 27,331 times
NYC. It's not in the middle of the continent, but it's not in some extreme corner either.

-major airports with relative proximity to the entire continent and Europe
-Easy rail and road connection to some of North America's other great cities
-Super diverse community that probably has a community, and often a sizeable one, of almost every people group in the continent
-Financial hub of the continent (and the world)
-Largest or second largest city in the continent
-Somewhat centrally located on the eastern half of Canada and the US (short flight and/or drive to Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philly, DC, and even cities in the eastern interior like Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta).

I could see making a non-absurd case for LA, Chicago, Mexico City, Toronto, DC, and SF, but that's it. NYC by a mile.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I voted NYC. There's no contest. #1. Also, consider that Greater NYC includes the southern "panhandle" of New York State, the western 1/4-1/3 of Connecticut, about 2/3 of New Jersey, and even a little of Pennsylvania. Given the fact that New Jersey is so interconnected to both NYC and Philadelphia, and that the Philly exurb of Trenton, NJ is considered to be part of NYC's CSA, you could make the argument that Philadelphia is more closely connected to NYC than anywhere else on the East Coast.

NYC is followed by, in order:
(2) Los Angeles/San Diego/Tijuana (LA/SD/TJ)--the conurbation of Southern California and northern Baja California--including Orange County, Inland Empire, Ventura County, Coachella Valley, and Santa Barbara in "Alta" California, and Rosarito and Ensenada in northern Baja. If San Diego/Tijuana were removed from the Southern California clumping, then L.A. would still be right behind Mexico City; San Diego and Tijuana, whether separate or collectively couldn't begin to compete on their own. However, in 2017, I think between Greater L.A. and its outlying cities, San Diego, and Tijuana and its outlying cities, there's too much economic interconnectivity to disregard it as being one giant regional economy. This is the only region of North America that could even begin compete with NYC.
(3) Mexico City, including the Federal District and State of Mexico. This isn't as powerful as a capital as Washington, but it is far more robust demographically and culturally, and even as a player in the financial world, than Washington. However, since it is still the capital of a developing country, albeit a largely populated capital in a country with an gradually improving economy, it can't compete economically with NYC and LA/SD/TJ yet.
(4) Washington, including Baltimore and, increasingly arguably, Richmond and Hagerstown. The economic and population growth there for the last several decades has been impressive.
(5) Toronto, including the whole Golden Horseshoe region. For a medium-sized metropolis on the international scale, Greater Toronto packs a massive punch.
(6) San Francisco, including the overall Bay Area, the CSA counties of Monterey (cities of Monterey, and Salinas), Solano (cities of Vallejo, Fairfield and Vacaville), and San Joaquin (cities of Stockton, Tracy, Manteca, and Lodi), and, arguably, the adjacent regions of Sacramento, Stanislaus County (cities of Modesto, Turlock and Riverbank), and Merced County (cities of Merced and Atwater). All of these places are dependent, to varying degrees, on the core city and inner metropolis of San Francisco.
(7) Chicago, including Rockford, northwest Indiana and extreme southeast Wisconsin. The inner city crime and political corruption continue to really hurt this place, but the thriving Loop and affluent, prosperous suburbs more than make up for the economic and social travesties of most of Chicago's south and west sides (which are best to be avoided unless you're already very familiar with those areas).

Mind you, none of these are the "top dog" in North America, but fall immediately in line behind NYC.

The next tier falling in line would be, in order:
(8) Boston, including Providence and Manchester
(9) Dallas/Fort Worth, including Denton
(10) Houston, including Galveston, Conroe and Beaumont
(11) Atlanta, including Athens, Gainesville, and perhaps Macon, at least in a few years
(12) Miami, including Broward and Palm Beach Counties
(13) Seattle, including Tacoma and Olympia
(14) Detroit/Windsor, including Ann Arbor, Flint and Toledo
(15) Vancouver, including Surrey and Burnaby
(16) Monterrey, NL

The rest? Nah. Again, no other city than NYC can really be presented as "the face" of North America, other than possibly LA/SD/TJ. The 15 cities I listed after NYC are all respectable, though. I'm sure a case could be presented that, say, Austin/San Antonio, Phoenix, or Minneapolis/St. Paul could join the ranks with, or replace, Seattle, Vancouver, and Monterrey, but I don't think they're quite "there" just yet.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-17-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 PM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I voted NYC. There's no contest. #1. Also, consider that Greater NYC includes the southern "panhandle" of New York State, the western 1/4-1/3 of Connecticut, about 2/3 of New Jersey, and even a little of Pennsylvania. Given the fact that New Jersey is so interconnected to both NYC and Philadelphia, and that the Philly exurb of Trenton, NJ is considered to be part of NYC's CSA, you could make the argument that Philadelphia is more closely connected to NYC than anywhere else on the East Coast.

NYC is followed by, in order:
(2) Los Angeles/San Diego/Tijuana (LA/SD/TJ)--the conurbation of Southern California and northern Baja California--including Orange County, Inland Empire, Ventura County, Coachella Valley, and Santa Barbara in "Alta" California, and Rosarito and Ensenada in northern Baja. If San Diego/Tijuana were removed from the Southern California clumping, then L.A. would still be right behind Mexico City; San Diego and Tijuana, whether separate or collectively couldn't begin to compete on their own. However, in 2017, I think between Greater L.A. and its outlying cities, San Diego, and Tijuana and its outlying cities, there's too much economic interconnectivity to disregard it as being one giant regional economy. This is the only region of North America that could even begin compete with NYC.
(3) Mexico City, including the Federal District and State of Mexico. This isn't as powerful as a capital as Washington, but it is far more robust demographically and culturally, and even as a player in the financial world, than Washington. However, since it is still the capital of a developing country, albeit a largely populated capital in a country with an gradually improving economy, it can't compete economically with NYC and LA/SD/TJ yet.
(4) Washington, including Baltimore and, increasingly arguably, Richmond and Hagerstown. The economic and population growth there for the last several decades has been impressive.
(5) Toronto, including the whole Golden Horseshoe region. For a medium-sized metropolis on the international scale, Greater Toronto packs a massive punch.
(6) San Francisco, including the overall Bay Area, the CSA counties of Monterey (cities of Monterey, and Salinas), Solano (cities of Vallejo, Fairfield and Vacaville), and San Joaquin (cities of Stockton, Tracy, Manteca, and Lodi), and, arguably, the adjacent regions of Sacramento, Stanislaus County (cities of Modesto, Turlock and Riverbank), and Merced County (cities of Merced and Atwater). All of these places are dependent, to varying degrees, on the core city and inner metropolis of San Francisco.
(7) Chicago, including Rockford, northwest Indiana and extreme southeast Wisconsin. The inner city crime and political corruption continue to really hurt this place, but the thriving Loop and affluent, prosperous suburbs more than make up for the economic and social travesties of most of Chicago's south and west sides (which are best to be avoided unless you're already very familiar with those areas).

Mind you, none of these are the "top dog" in North America, but fall immediately in line behind NYC.

The next tier falling in line would be, in order:
(8) Boston, including Providence and Manchester
(9) Dallas/Fort Worth, including Denton
(10) Houston, including Galveston, Conroe and Beaumont
(11) Atlanta, including Athens, Gainesville, and perhaps Macon, at least in a few years
(12) Miami, including Broward and Palm Beach Counties
(13) Seattle, including Tacoma and Olympia
(14) Detroit/Windsor, including Ann Arbor, Flint and Toledo
(15) Vancouver, including Surrey and Burnaby
(16) Monterrey, NL

The rest? Nah. Again, no other city than NYC can really be presented as "the face" of North America, other than possibly LA/SD/TJ. The 15 cities I listed after NYC are all respectable, though. I'm sure a case could be presented that, say, Austin/San Antonio, Phoenix, or Minneapolis/St. Paul could join the ranks with, or replace, Seattle, Vancouver, and Monterrey, but I don't think they're quite "there" just yet.
I like your list. I disagree however with your last statement. "Austin/San Antonio, Phoenix, or Minneapolis/St. Paul could join the ranks with, or replace, Seattle, Vancouver, and Monterrey"
Even if these cities were "there", Seattle is a tier ahead. It has become a thriving urban metropolis with many urban areas within the metro, high GDP, multicultural, better weather (subjective), innovation, and the location brings in so many people for the beauty and nature alone (volcanoes, beaches, rainforests).
I think these other cities are worth mentioning, but I don't think they could join ranks with or replace Puget Sound.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:40 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesca View Post
Who voted for Chicago...and why? LOL.
Well, at least it's better than voting for Louisville.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
This thread is about the "face" of North America. I voted NYC without hesitation.

The top 5 "faces" of North America I would place as:

New York
Mexico City
Washington
Los Angeles
Toronto

With SF and Chicago being the next two "faces" after that.

Anybody voting for any city other than NYC here is proving their homer-dom.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I like your list. I disagree however with your last statement. "Austin/San Antonio, Phoenix, or Minneapolis/St. Paul could join the ranks with, or replace, Seattle, Vancouver, and Monterrey"
Even if these cities were "there", Seattle is a tier ahead. It has become a thriving urban metropolis with many urban areas within the metro, high GDP, multicultural, better weather (subjective), innovation, and the location brings in so many people for the beauty and nature alone (volcanoes, beaches, rainforests).
I think these other cities are worth mentioning, but I don't think they could join ranks with or replace Puget Sound.
Actually, you're right. In my list, I originally had Detroit/Windsor ahead of Seattle, then I switched their places. However, I didn't reflect that change in the accompanying explanation that you've pointed out. As I thought about it while I was making this list, I, too, thought that Seattle is a tier ahead of Detroit, Vancouver and Monterrey, let alone Austin/SA, PHX, or M/SP.

I apologize. Thank you for calling me out on my error.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, at least it's better than voting for Louisville.
It honestly blows my mind that, in this poll, Chicago has more votes than Mexico City or L.A. Chicago certainly packs a massive punch and is well-known and -respected internationally; but, nowadays, it's not quite on the same tier as a metropolis as Mexico City, L.A., or, arguably and I believe, DC, Toronto, or SF.

Still, Chicago is 10,000,000 times more worthy of as a contender than Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City