Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is America's Most Underrated City?
ATLANTA 17 10.24%
BALTIMORE 13 7.83%
CHARLOTTE 7 4.22%
CINCINNATI 14 8.43%
CLEVELAND 13 7.83%
COLUMBUS 4 2.41%
DETROIT 9 5.42%
INDIANAPOLIS 7 4.22%
KANSAS CITY 17 10.24%
MIAMI 8 4.82%
PHOENIX 9 5.42%
PITTSBURGH 40 24.10%
ST. LOUIS 8 4.82%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:13 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,748,695 times

Advertisements

Which is the most UNDERRATED major city in America (in your opinion)?

Culture, Food, Economy, Quality of Life, Fun, Business, Fashion, Sports, Living, Vacationing, Dating, The Arts, etc...

The Criteria is:

1. The city must be the center city of a metro area of at least 2 million population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas
*Not having a high population speaks to people not being impressed with living there, so it cannot qualify for being "underrated"

2. The city must have more than 1 professional sports team, but cannot currently have teams in all 5 US major sports leagues at the same time (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rts_franchises
*Lack of multiple pro sports means businesses don't trust in the city enough to invest in putting a team there, but having sports teams in all 5 sports means the majority consensus is that business trust in the city, so it cannot qualify for being "underrated"

3. The city cannot be listed in the most visited attractions list (by this 2011 list).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touris..._United_States
*Being listed as a top destination for travel speaks to people wanting to be there, so it cannot qualify for being "underrated"

4. The city cannot be in the top 10 fastest growing cities/areas in the US (according to Forbes 2017)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanth.../#243996763a36
*Being among the fastest growing cities speaks to people wanting to live there, so it cannot qualify for being "underrated"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 PM

1,122 posts, read 932,432 times
From the list; i probably like Cincinnati the most.

Greenville, NC
St Augustine, FL
Fayetteville, AR
Delray Beach/Boca Raton, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
La Jolla/Del Mar, CA
Malibu, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach, CA
West Palm Beach, FL
Seaside Heights, NJ
Saratoga Springs, NY
Newport, RI
Red Bank, NJ
Little Silver, NJ
Telluride, CO
Glenwood Springs, CO
Aspen, CO
Watkins Glen, NY
Glendale/Eagle Rock/Pasadena CA
Stowe, VT
Daphine, AL
Wilmington, NC
Lime Rock, CT
Chicago, IL
Boston, MA
Los Angeles, CA

Last edited by odurandina; 06-13-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,344,367 times
Cincy and Baltimore are both quite underrated. Charlotte is underrated on CD but not so much for most people.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,991,736 times
Philadelphia.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,364 times
Why did you list Miami? It's easily a top 10 most visited city in the nation, and is the 12 fastest growing metro based on your own provided Forbes ranking. Your tourist ranking list is of attractions, not of cities themselves. HUGE difference.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,748,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Why did you list Miami? It's easily a top 10 most visited city in the nation, and is the 12 fastest growing metro based on your own provided Forbes ranking. Your tourist ranking list is of attractions, not of cities themselves. HUGE difference.
The criteria...
Couldn't find a current top 10 destinations cities list, so went with one that list cities based on the attractions, wasn't in the top 10 fasted growing cities.

Do you think that makes the listing unfair having Miami in it?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:47 PM

16,517 posts, read 26,430,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
The criteria...
Couldn't find a current top 10 destinations cities list, so went with one that list cities based on the attractions, wasn't in the top 10 fasted growing cities.

Absolutely, Miami isn't underrated for three most part.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
The criteria...

Yes, it makes Miami's listing invalid. It's the second most visited city in the nation by international tourists after NYC, with 7.6 million visitors. That's the very definition of being a top destination for travel and being desirable--and the data is only 2 years old (though the article is from 2017). It hasn't been supplanted, at all. The second link I posted isn't from a reputable source like Forbes or CNN, so it may be bunk, but it seems to be a decent gauge. Bottom line, Miami can't be considered due to #3 for your criteria, and it's way too close to 'the cut' for #1 and #4.

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/mo...x.html?gallery

The Most Visited Cities In The US - WorldAtlas.com

Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 PM

337 posts, read 933,137 times
Of cities I've been to, probably Pittsburgh, which has made a remarkable comeback from its steel town past and is now one of the more pleasant and vibrant American cities I've visited.

Of cities I haven't been to, I suspect Cleveland would get my vote, because of its large legacy of cultural attractions dating back to when it was a much bigger city. (St. Louis and Baltimore are similar in that regard.)

But since Pittsburgh actually does get attention in those "Best Places to Live" surveys, I decided to vote for Cleveland even though I haven't been there.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,596,030 times
Indianapolis has some real momentum, especially with population growth and low unemployment, not to mention Indiana's low taxes are fairly desirable. And it's pretty safe compared to other cities its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City