Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You probably never went to Houston or Dallas, or you would know that both cities are far more diverse than Austin or San Antonio. Houston is one of the most diverse places in America. We have people from all over the world. San Antonio has white and Mexican, that's about it. Austin is similar, but a lot more white.
San Antonio is actually just a little less diverse than Houston. If you look at the percentage of population outside of non Hispanic white, Latinos, black and Asians, Houston's percentage for all other races population or ethnic groups is at about 15% (U.S Census)of the city's total population versus 13 % for S.A. Houston is just bigger so it feels more diverse plus it's ethnic groups are more unified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
6400 was a clone. Xcess and Numbers had far better music scenes in my opinion.
I loved Numbers back then. Numbers has been the mainstay in Houston and yes, it did introduce many to the alternative dance/industrial sound (in Houston). Similarly, so did NRG and Xcess. However, it was the live simulcasts at Ocean Club (Saturday Night Power Mix on Power 104) and later 6400 (93Q Live on the Cutting Edge - minus the top-40) marketed to the masses that made the sound become almost mainstream in Houston. That's why they call it 6400 music and not Numbers music (even Numbers calls it 6400 music). Although 6400 didn't live very long (in either location), it left quite an impression by introducing this sound to the masses, shaping the club culture, while also paving the way for other mix-shows to be broadcast live from different clubs in the area. Clubs like Numbers, while already established, benefited as a result.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:24 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I loved Numbers back then. Numbers has been the mainstay in Houston and yes, it did introduce many to the alternative dance/industrial sound (in Houston). Similarly, so did NRG and Xcess. However, it was the live simulcasts at Ocean Club (Saturday Night Power Mix on Power 104) and later 6400 (93Q Live on the Cutting Edge - minus the top-40) marketed to the masses that made the sound become almost mainstream in Houston. That's why they call it 6400 music and not Numbers music (even Numbers calls it 6400 music). Although 6400 didn't live very long (in either location), it left quite an impression by introducing this sound to the masses, shaping the club culture, while also paving the way for other mix-shows to be broadcast live from different clubs in the area. Clubs like Numbers, while already established, benefited as a result.
I know, but I wasn't a huge fan of 6400 for some reason. At that time I much preferred Xcess with Mike Pratt as the DJ. He played a lot more industrial.

I was at 6400 the night the city's newly reinstated ordinance shutting down clubs at 2:00 am went into effect (instead of 4:00 or 5:00 as was normal then). Even though we all knew it going to happen that night, it was still a bit of a shock when 2:00 came around and they turned the overhead lights on and everyone filed out of the building to the parking lot. People just congregated in the parking lot trying to figure out what to do next when a fight broke out with some Asian dudes and a few white guys. The Asian guys were tiny, but they kicked their asses and the cops couldn't get them to stop for a long time. It was a weird night, and I think the last time I went to 6400 (not for that reason though).

The next time I went there was when it was some club that had a lot of bands. I saw Peter Frampton there one night. Then it became Peter's Wildlife, and I lived in the apartments right behind the club. I went there a few times due to proximity (can't beat walking home from a nightclub instead of having to drive), but by then I was frequenting Red Square downtown. Figures I would find a place that I still had to drive too instead of hanging on the Richmond Strip where I could walk to most of the good clubs from my apartment at Hillcroft and Fairdale.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio is actually just a little less diverse than Houston. If you look at the percentage of population outside of non Hispanic white, Latinos, black and Asians, Houston's percentage for all other races population or ethnic groups is at about 15% (U.S Census)of the city's total population versus 13 % for S.A. Houston is just bigger so it feels more diverse plus it's ethnic groups are more unified.
San Antonio is a lot less diverse than Houston. From the Census.

SA is 63% Hispanic, 2.4% Asian, 6.9% Black, and 26.6% non-Hispanic White.

Houston is 43.7% Hispanic, 6% Asian, 23.7% Black, 25.6% non-Hispanic White.

Houston also has a move diverse Hispanic population. Where are you getting your numbers from?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
I know, but I wasn't a huge fan of 6400 for some reason. At that time I much preferred Xcess with Mike Pratt as the DJ. He played a lot more industrial.

I was at 6400 the night the city's newly reinstated ordinance shutting down clubs at 2:00 am went into effect (instead of 4:00 or 5:00 as was normal then). Even though we all knew it going to happen that night, it was still a bit of a shock when 2:00 came around and they turned the overhead lights on and everyone filed out of the building to the parking lot. People just congregated in the parking lot trying to figure out what to do next when a fight broke out with some Asian dudes and a few white guys. The Asian guys were tiny, but they kicked their asses and the cops couldn't get them to stop for a long time. It was a weird night, and I think the last time I went to 6400 (not for that reason though).

The next time I went there was when it was some club that had a lot of bands. I saw Peter Frampton there one night. Then it became Peter's Wildlife, and I lived in the apartments right behind the club. I went there a few times due to proximity (can't beat walking home from a nightclub instead of having to drive), but by then I was frequenting Red Square downtown. Figures I would find a place that I still had to drive too instead of hanging on the Richmond Strip where I could walk to most of the good clubs from my apartment at Hillcroft and Fairdale.
I was a fan of the industrial music as well which is one of the reasons why I loved Backstreet/Basics in Austin so much. Of course, they would typically start with industrial, techno, house, and new beat, and then progress to more ambient techno. That club did stay open until around 5-6 AM with liquor ending at 2 AM. BTW, whatever happened to the Tower Theatre on Westheimer? Wasn't there also a record store right next door?

I think people who have never experienced Texas underestimate the nightlife element there. The clubs were phenomenal as was the music. Furthermore, Texas was more gay-friendly than many give credit. While people acknowledge Austin for being liberal, Dallas and Houston were huge gay magnets in the 80's and 90's. Again, I haven't lived in TX for quite some time, but have very fond memories of it.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Im not sure where youre getting your info, but Houston is way, WAY more diverse than San Antonio which is objectively not diverse at all. Ill outline it below and throw in DFW and Austin as well:

Houston:
White: 38.2%
Hispanic: 36.1%
Black: 16.8%
Asian: 7.1%

DFW:
White: 47.7%
Hispanic: 28.4%
Black: 15.2%
Asian: 6.3%

Austin:
White: 52.9%
Hispanic: 32.2%
Black: 7.1%
Asian: 5.6%

San Antonio:
Hispanic: 54.5%
White: 35.1%
Black: 6.1%
Asian: 2.1%

Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
San Antonio is a lot less diverse than Houston. From the Census.

SA is 63% Hispanic, 2.4% Asian, 6.9% Black, and 26.6% non-Hispanic White.

Houston is 43.7% Hispanic, 6% Asian, 23.7% Black, 25.6% non-Hispanic White.

Houston also has a move diverse Hispanic population. Where are you getting your numbers from?
I honestly don't think it's about the numbers. From the eye test, we know Houston is obviously the more diverse city of the bunch.

I'd actually put it as.

Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Austin

In terms of diversity.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Austin brings a nice bit of balance to Texas.
...excuse me?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...excuse me?
you're excused

Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
you're excused

"Balance" to what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City