Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
San Antonio is actually more culturally rich than Dallas, Houston, and Austin; that's obvious.

lol not even, that's a weird comparison actually.
Whether people want to believe it or not, Austin is becoming more Dallas-y.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:40 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Imo, this is true. It's the only city in Texas with a traditional core.
San Antonio does have more of a historically intact core than the other TX cities, but that doesn't make it more of a "real city." First off, Downtown San Antonio has less walkable amenities than DT Austin & DT Dallas. Second, having "modern" skyscrapers doesn't make you any less of a city. It depends how they interact with the street and if they are inviting to pedestrians. Not every skyscraper in DT Dallas is cold and fortress-like. And there has been a lot of investment and restructuring of those "fortress" skyscrapers so that they are more inviting to pedestrians.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Imo, this is true. It's the only city in Texas with a traditional core.
*clears throat*

Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Exactly...I've been scratching my head trying to understand why all this hate from people from Houston... I am well aware of both Houston and Dallas economic importance, i just don't get why Austin success bother's texans so much.
I don't think it bothers anyone. What is bothering some people is that a small vocal group of people from Austin think it is perfectly fine to criticize Houston and DFW but that anyone criticizing Austin has to be a hater, and then use that excuse to brush it off.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Here is the deal. Austin is a great city in its own right. I love going there but it doesnt even bother trying to cater to a wide variety of people. Its like that city that was specifically made for liberal white people. Like a white people paradise. Thats not to say that Austin has diversity, it does. But the city caters so hard to liberal whites, its comical. Im liberal myself and I find it somewhat funny.

Compare that to Dallas and Houston which, on the whole, have things for everyone. They are much more diverse cities on every level. Hell, Austin isnt even the "gayest" city in Texas, Dallas is.

The funny thing to me is that people from Austin always tend to hate on Dallas for being pretentious. Austin is every bit as pretentious as Dallas but just in a different way.

They hate on Houston, but they would be lucky to have our food, diversity, and international nature.

Does Austin have the best nightlife in Texas? Maybe. Its certainly the most recognized. But its not better at everything. Houston has a much more diverse nightlife and Dallas has a better gay nightlife.

The OP sounds white and liberal, so I can see why hed like it. Most white liberals do. African-Americans tend to hate it. Youll find almost no African Americans that find Austin tolerant. You should ask them why.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:07 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
In reference to your last paragraph on Blacks in Austin, one reason is because they butchered the Texas Relays. Austin's racism really comes out when that event rolls around. Even though SXSW brings in more fights and BS.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:12 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Here is the deal. Austin is a great city in its own right. I love going there but it doesnt even bother trying to cater to a wide variety of people. Its like that city that was specifically made for liberal white people. Like a white people paradise. Thats not to say that Austin has diversity, it does. But the city caters so hard to liberal whites, its comical. Im liberal myself and I find it somewhat funny.

Compare that to Dallas and Houston which, on the whole, have things for everyone. They are much more diverse cities on every level. Hell, Austin isnt even the "gayest" city in Texas, Dallas is.

The funny thing to me is that people from Austin always tend to hate on Dallas for being pretentious. Austin is every bit as pretentious as Dallas but just in a different way.

They hate on Houston, but they would be lucky to have our food, diversity, and international nature.

Does Austin have the best nightlife in Texas? Maybe. Its certainly the most recognized. But its not better at everything. Houston has a much more diverse nightlife and Dallas has a better gay nightlife.

The OP sounds white and liberal, so I can see why hed like it. Most white liberals do. African-Americans tend to hate it. Youll find almost no African Americans that find Austin tolerant. You should ask them why.
^^This. I'd also add "young professional" nightlife as a Dallas strength as well. Austin is distinctly college, hipster, and tech yuppies. The definition of a niche city.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:21 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
The reason that Austin is popular is because it caters to the demographic of white upper middle class recent college grads. Look at the other popular cities: Seattle, Portland, Denver, Nashville, etc. All white-washed with new glass buildings, craft breweries, local coffee shops, and manufactured urbanity.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
^^This. I'd also add "young professional" nightlife as a Dallas strength as well. Austin is distinctly college, hipster, and tech yuppies. The definition of a niche city.
I agree and I'd take Deep Ellum over the West 7th area in Austin.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:23 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The reason that Austin is popular is because it caters to the demographic of white upper middle class recent college grads. Look at the other popular cities: Seattle, Portland, Denver, Nashville, etc. All white-washed with new glass buildings, craft breweries, local coffee shops, and manufactured urbanity.
Basically aside from your racial opinion, this is the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City