Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:27 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I could post tons of dead or severely damaged palm trees from the coastal south after 2014 and 2015 which I took myself on visits there. The South is a failed subtropical climate imo. Winters are all over the place with 20F one day and 70F a few days later. Palms and other subtropical plants are severely stressed by that. And just look at the record low temps there. Savannah GA 3F lol.

Not a single palm other than sabal palmetto would survive those kinds of temps, and not a question of if they return but when. The climate of the South has always done this. It is why citrus miserably failed in the colonial period in Charleston and Savannah. True subtropical climates like Spain, Italy, S. Calif, Australia, etc blow the South out of the water in this regard. Barcelona has parrots flying around and mangoes, bird of paradise, banana, papaya plants everywhere, at the same latitude as NYC.
Oh, here we go again. Kindly remove that enormous bug up your ass you have about the Low Country and leave us alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:43 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
I could post tons of dead or severely damaged palm trees from the coastal south after 2014 and 2015 which I took myself on visits there. The South is a failed subtropical climate imo. Winters are all over the place with 20F one day and 70F a few days later. Palms and other subtropical plants are severely stressed by that. And just look at the record low temps there. Savannah GA 3F lol.

Not a single palm other than sabal palmetto would survive those kinds of temps, and not a question of if they return but when. The climate of the South has always done this. It is why citrus miserably failed in the colonial period in Charleston and Savannah. True subtropical climates like Spain, Italy, S. Calif, Australia, etc blow the South out of the water in this regard. Barcelona has parrots flying around and mangoes, bird of paradise, banana, papaya plants everywhere, at the same latitude as NYC.
LMAO.

Dude, stop it.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 9,920 times
Quote:

sabal palmetto is not alone

needle palm

sabal minor

pindo palm

all kinds of windmill palms

fortuneii

tesan

takil..ect

washingtonia robusta and filfera

All kinds of date palms

even queen palms up to hilton head microclimates.

saw palmetto

and as for bananas, we have them in connecticut lol

Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,871 times
There are more native palms in the South than there are in Mediterranean europe, the gulf stream is a wonder of nature not only for the warm ocean temps but its influence on the southern natural world . As soon as it goes out into the atlantic around northeastern north carolina, the natural range of palms on the united states east coast stops.

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-17-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,871 times
Quote:

Those parrots were introduced by the pet trade. All the Barcelona species are the descendants of escapees or released birds, Red-Masked Parakeets, Mitred Parrots, Nanday Parakeets Rose-Ringed Parakeets, Blue-Crowned Conures, , Senegal Parrots and the Ring-necked parakeets

Old 07-18-2017, 11:36 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
The above poster demonstrates why so many people dislike california and californians.
I dislike California simply because of their lack of law and order. They don't support laws of the United States, and go against law enforcement all the time. It's sad. No matter how pretty their coastline is I would never live there because of the people and their governments!

I vote for Sabal Palms in the southeast anyday!

Old 07-18-2017, 10:42 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, here we go again. Kindly remove that enormous bug up your ass you have about the Low Country and leave us alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
LMAO.

Dude, stop it.
But Captain Falcon is right, though; the cold that comes to the US South is really quite limiting when it comes to growing many favored tender plant varieties. The fact that even Miami has seen upper 20s (F) temps in its history is quite scary; those temps may end up not happening, but gardeners there are forever stuck with that potential in mind...

Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:

That's why its called a SUBTROPICAL climate, not a tropical climate. I love the freezes we get. Keeps it interesting.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
But Captain Falcon is right, though; the cold that comes to the US South is really quite limiting when it comes to growing many favored tender plant varieties. The fact that even Miami has seen upper 20s (F) temps in its history is quite scary; those temps may end up not happening, but gardeners there are forever stuck with that potential in mind...
All well and good, but my comment referred to his posting history and a fondness for denigrating the coastlines of Georgia and South Carolina.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
All well and good, but my comment referred to his posting history and a fondness for denigrating the coastlines of Georgia and South Carolina.
Don't worry, he'll come back to praising Charleston and Savannah as beautiful historic cities, after he finishes getting the "ugly coastline" and "US division" talk out of his system.

Captain Falcon has very oscillatory viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City