Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

People, I think tend to give, particularly rustbelt, legacy cities more credit than they deserve when it comes to urbanity.

An example I have is if you look at the inner core densities of Austin and Cleveland, they are actually pretty similar. (in 2010, Austin has grown 20% since then).
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
But the perceptions are kind of opposite, Austin is seen as a sprawl heavy city, while Cleveland is lauded for its urbanity and density.

Midwest cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati or Kansas City are closer to Austin or Charlotte in core density than Providence or Baltimore.

Now some, like Pittsburgh and Chicago (particularly the latter) have sizable regions of 20k ppsm or so and are much more dense in the core than their sunbelt counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Some legacy cities more than others seem to get a ridiculous pass as being greater than they actually are...

I think Detroit is an example of a legacy city that gets derided far more than it should. For as hard as it fell, it's still a Top 15 city, and exceeds or is equal to cities in the Top 13-20 range in most categories. It's density is now below 5000 I believe, but Detroit is a city's city and deserves far more respect than it receives....

St. Louis is an example of a city that gets due respect, however, is perilously in danger of falling behind it's "new" peer cities in Charlotte and Portland, and maybe others. So for St. Louis especially, it has a very strong urban fabric but in all other measures of city comparison, Charlotte and Portland have largely caught up to it...

Cleveland and Buffalo, twin cities of different size if there ever were, get WAAAYYY too much credit on here for what they actually are...

Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Density isn't necessarily the best way to judge "urbanity". Just because a city is denser doesn't mean it's more walkable or urban.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Density doesn't necessarily have anything to do with urbanity. Austin is one of the worst cities for urban amenities.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
A lot of rust bell cities have density of built form, but lack population density. You can pack a pot of people into suburban-style apartment complexes without creating any real urbanity.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:35 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Agreed that density doesn't automatically mean urbanity. But also, yes a lot of older cities are far less urban than they were, and than their reputations.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:19 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
But the perceptions are kind of opposite, Austin is seen as a sprawl heavy city, while Cleveland is lauded for its urbanity and density.

Midwest cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati or Kansas City are closer to Austin or Charlotte in core density than Providence or Baltimore.
I'm originally from Cleveland, have fond memories of being a kid there and love the place. I'm proud of its comeback, and proud to be from there.

That being said, it gets more than its fair share of passes. Yes Downtown, Ohio City, University Circle and other nabes have made nice comebacks. But the City is basically a hollowed-out shell of its former self in many ways, and sprawls just as badly as some of its larger Southern cousins. And they are still building (some) on the outer fringes, even as the Metro has stagnant growth.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 AM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
My answer would be yes, they do get passes that probably aren't warranted, but there's a reason for that.

Structural density, old school architecture, and road width go a long way towards making a place feel more urban and more pedestrian friendly.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Yes. I especially don't understand why they get a pass for arguably being more sprawling as well. For example, most Western cities at least have some type of order to their sprawl, but cities like Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh etc just have suburbs going every which way. But they get a pass because the core is nice/historically urban...

Last edited by Mezter; 07-18-2017 at 01:19 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 01:13 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Well they may be overrated on this website full of urbanity junkies, but in general they're not rated highly by the general population, due to continual negative perception and population stagnation/decline. I doubt the cities in Texas and Arizona give much of a crap what CD folks think about them as they continue to experience double-digit growth by the decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City