Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Every time everyone talks about Cleveland everybody always say "The Mistake by the Lake" especially be the coastal media. So, Cleveland never rides on its past, it's everybody basing it on its past.

I disagree because LeBron has gotten massive endorsement deals while playing in Cleveland and Miami. It's not the '80s and '90s where you needed to play in a major city to thrive. Everybody says everybody wants to play in L.A. but no major free agents went to play and that's when Kobe was still on the team as they were coming off of a championship. Nowadays, with social media and NBA League Pass, players don't have to go to a rich city in order to be a star; they know they can be a star anywhere.
People do crap on Cleveland but they claim it's a bad city, while detractors of Atlanta or Charlotte deny that they are even real cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Every time everyone talks about Cleveland everybody always say "The Mistake by the Lake" especially be the coastal media. So, Cleveland never rides on its past, it's everybody basing it on its past.

I disagree because LeBron has gotten massive endorsement deals while playing in Cleveland and Miami. It's not the '80s and '90s where you needed to play in a major city to thrive. Everybody says everybody wants to play in L.A. but no major free agents went to play and that's when Kobe was still on the team as they were coming off of a championship. Nowadays, with social media and NBA League Pass, players don't have to go to a rich city in order to be a star; they know they can be a star anywhere.
I don't think anyone says that today. That was decades ago when the river had a fire on it and other negatives?
Many know the Rock n' Roll museum is along the lake and virtually all our older rust-belt cities are renewing cores and Cleveland's is on the lake. That will benefit it the more its downtown portion develops...

I changed one of your street-views to a sunny one.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7163...7i13312!8i6656

But to be honest. It does little to boast for Houston on low- rise townhouses for blocks ..... then to turn the street-view to see strip malls......
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7163...7i13312!8i6656

It's not flattering at all. Like mass produced housing that cities build for low-income residents. Not trying to be rude. But ..... no one is going to say its beautiful.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7127...7i13312!8i6656

Ugly power-line poles help nothing either for beauty.

Below another intersection of strip-malls do absolutely nothing.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7054...bw!2e0!7i13312!

But they do show a WAY OF LIFE IN HOUSTON and dense for there. But flattering ..... sorry there are way better inner-loop areas of Houston Getting nicer infill with decent density.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:51 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
[quote=DavePa;48926562]I don't think anyone says that today. That was decades ago when the river had a fire on it and other negatives?
Many know the Rock n' Roll museum is along the lake and virtually all our older rust-belt cities are renewing cores and Cleveland's is on the lake. That will benefit it the more its downtown portion develops...

Some people still use that term, but if they don't use it they still give off the tone where they still view Cleveland in that context. A lot people nationally still have a negative view of Cleveland when it was announced that Cleveland got last year's RNC the Beltway media and RNC delegates had a terrible view of Cleveland before they came and saw for themselves and they enjoyed visiting. Seems like almost every city's perceptions changed except Cleveland and its surrounding cities.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:00 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
I don't think Cleveland really has that bad of a reputation, most people still think of Detroit as being the worst. Or runner-up Baltimore. It can turn around fairly quickly, look at what were considered some of the worst big cities in past decades, in the 80s and 90s this was probably considered to be Pittsburgh, Philly, and DC. All now have a much better rep as places to live.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I don't think Cleveland really has that bad of a reputation, most people still think of Detroit as being the worst. Or runner-up Baltimore. It can turn around fairly quickly, look at what were considered some of the worst big cities in past decades, in the 80s and 90s this was probably considered to be Pittsburgh, Philly, and DC. All now have a much better rep as places to live.
How do you figure that Cleveland doesn't have too much of a bad reputation?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Although many things have changed in Cleveland, the lackluster economy, high crime, and blight still stay in people's minds. Cleveland and Detroit are interchangeable in having bad reputations.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Although many things have changed in Cleveland, the lackluster economy, high crime, and blight still stay in people's minds. Cleveland and Detroit are interchangeable in having bad reputations.
I disagree-- except for basketball most people don't hear much of anything about Cleveland at all. Exceptions for people from Ohio, or the small number of people on city-data. Detroit had a huge national bad reputation far exceeding any bad rep Cleveland has.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:21 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm originally from Cleveland, have fond memories of being a kid there and love the place. I'm proud of its comeback, and proud to be from there.

That being said, it gets more than its fair share of passes. Yes Downtown, Ohio City, University Circle and other nabes have made nice comebacks. But the City is basically a hollowed-out shell of its former self in many ways, and sprawls just as badly as some of its larger Southern cousins. And they are still building (some) on the outer fringes, even as the Metro has stagnant growth.
Where in Cleveland are you from?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:26 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
[quote=DavePa;48926562]I don't think anyone says that today. That was decades ago when the river had a fire on it and other negatives?

TBS used this pic when the Indians beat the Red Sox in October 2016 (just months ago for an event that happened in the 1960s):

https://media1.fdncms.com/clevescene...69307/fire.jpg

So, yes, people still use this non-story today, 50 years later. The river fire image used in that pic is in Moscow; yes, that Moscow.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
TBS used this pic when the Indians beat the Red Sox in October 2016 (just months ago for an event that happened in the 1960s):

https://media1.fdncms.com/clevescene...69307/fire.jpg

So, yes, people still use this non-story today, 50 years later. The river fire image used in that pic is in Moscow; yes, that Moscow.
Please double check the post you try to shorten that they take correctly. To respond keeps it hard to try to fix.

People today know if its something that happened decades ago and not true today. Some posters do far worst posting negatives then any old perceptions. People know the river isn't burning today. It's not promoted today just if a mention occurs.... I watch a ball game from Cleveland? I see a nice city and stadium and happy people in the stands to be there.

Cleveland rarely makes the national news today for crime and other negatives. Sometimes just not in the limelight is a good thing. Unless our economy spirals downward? Cleveland will have a decent future and could have boom periods again. I certainly have no bone to pick on it.

No one should keep dogging on any city or their former cities...... it gets old and a poor agenda.

Only NYC gets real passes because ...... its New York. Other cities very little chance visitors will overlook something they see as a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City