Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 08:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I don't think Cleveland really has that bad of a reputation, most people still think of Detroit as being the worst. Or runner-up Baltimore. It can turn around fairly quickly, look at what were considered some of the worst big cities in past decades, in the 80s and 90s this was probably considered to be Pittsburgh, Philly, and DC. All now have a much better rep as places to live.
I always thought Baltimore got more of a pass or the benefit of the doubt because it's so close to DC just like Oakland seems to get a pass because it's close to San Fran and it's in the Bay Area. And, I felt it was more viewed as an East Coast city than a Rust Belt city. I feel Cleveland does have a bad rep because it can't escape it's past like a Pittsburgh or even a Philly have. People today still remember Cleveland's worst thanks a lot to the media (i.e. the river burning and sports failures prior to 2016), and Cleveland is always ranked the worst in almost something. It seems the Coast, the Sunbelt cities and Chicago get more passes than the Rust Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Yeah, but tourists don't go to the trashy parts of NYC, or the South Side, West Side or East Side of Chicago. They mostly stay Downtown or the surrounding suburbs. They only go to the tourist parts of the city so they don't care about the bad parts of those cities, so most tourists don't know the faults for the city because they're not going to stay there that long. I think those cities get more of a pass because they get the most media attention and most of them (except Chicago) are on the Coasts.
A decent number of tourists DO see the South Side of Chicago as it's home to the Museum of Science and Industry and the White Sox park.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 PM

36 posts, read 34,937 times
Quote:
It seems the Coast, the Sunbelt cities and Chicago get more passes than the Rust Belt.
This is exactly what I'm thinking, the problems on the coasts are always glossed over no matter how severe.

Meanwhile, rust belt cities are always unfairly hounded in the media even for **** that happened half a century ago. Rustbelt cities are rarely given a break even if they might offer a great standard of living they're always smeared.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
I totally agree that are certain people in the media that feel that sports such as the NBA is only great when cities like New York, L.A., Chicago and Miami are good. Or, the MLB, especially around playoff time, the media feels that it should only the Yankees and Red Sox in the ALCS every year. Last year, the national media was rooting hard for a Cubs-Red Sox World Sox or Red Sox-Dodgers World Series. They feel that teams in those cities outside of the mentioned cities are bad for the sports. I never felt that way, a great team is a great team no matter what city they're in. The Spurs have won 5 NBA titles in an 18-year period while playing in San Antonio, which is a very small market. If the Cavs and Thunder would've faced off in The Finals two years ago, I think it would've had some pretty good ratings because of the matchups: LeBron vs. KD, Kyrie vs. Westbrook.

Also, a certain group of the media feels that Cleveland doesn't deserve a player like LeBron for various reasons. They feel that he's too big for Cleveland, he brought them a title now he should move on, he's wasting his talents in Cleveland, Cleveland isn't glamorous as NY, L.A., Chicago, etc., or they want to be in L.A. or Miami all the time. Most of the national media are people from the coastal cities or Chicago and are only bias for their cities. A lot of them didn't want him to go back to Cleveland. They were hoping he stayed in Miami. They feel only star players should play in big cities. I say a star player should be able shine based on his talent, not the city they play in.
This makes sense. You make a good point. I hate the city market bias. Just like Lebron, people are saying Russ needs to leave OKC, because it's OKC. They want to see him in LA, or just anywhere else. Who cares? Let him be where he wants to be. You're right with the Spurs.

I hate that "bad for the sport" talk. LA is the 2nd largest market and Rams ratings were a disaster last year. I agree there's more to it than LA, NYC, Boston, Miami, and Chicago. Funnily, Atlanta is treated the same way, even though it's technically "large market." Watch the Atlanta Hawks reach the NBA Finals...you'll hear groans all across America. While a lot of people rooted for them last season, the Nashville Predators suffered a lot of that bias too from media and some fans. "Nashville is too small to succeed! It's not real hockey!"

Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
A decent number of tourists DO see the South Side of Chicago as it's home to the Museum of Science and Industry and the White Sox park.
But more people spend more time either Downtown or in areas like River North, Grant Park or Wrigleyville. The White Sox ball park is surrounded by projects.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
Wherever I go in the US and I say I lived in Cleveland and Cincinnati and nobody seems to have anything good to say about those cities. I think most of the US does not like Ohio for some reason or another.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter View Post
This is exactly what I'm thinking, the problems on the coasts are always glossed over no matter how severe.

Meanwhile, rust belt cities are always unfairly hounded in the media even for **** that happened half a century ago. Rustbelt cities are rarely given a break even if they might offer a great standard of living they're always smeared.

I agree 100% the reason why the problems on the coasts get glossed over because of the media. Most of the major media networks are on the coasts with the exception of CNN. A lot of those outlets are anti-Rust Belt and are biased for the Coasts. They never fail to bring up its failures; the only Rust Belt city that's kind of getting a pass now to me is Pittsburgh,, but they never bring up such things as Boston's riot over black kids being bused to white schools and Boston still has problems with racism. Adam Jones having a banana thrown at him in Fenway, which was terrible, it was only a footnote; that story should've been talked about more. But, when Cavs fans burned LeBron's jersey after he went to Miami (which I didn't condone) that was on the national news for days and it's still talked about now, even though he came back to Cleveland and won the Cavs a championship.

NYPD has had a long history of problems with racial profiling and "Stop and Frisk" but it gets glossed over, You'll never see a Coastal city ranked worst in anything on any publications Top 10 list. But, they're quick to mention anything negative about the Rust Belt and/or anything from its past like Cleveland's river catching on fire in the '60s.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:53 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
I agree 100% the reason why the problems on the coasts get glossed over because of the media. Most of the major media networks are on the coasts with the exception of CNN. A lot of those outlets are anti-Rust Belt and are biased for the Coasts. They never fail to bring up its failures; the only Rust Belt city that's kind of getting a pass now to me is Pittsburgh,, but they never bring up such things as Boston's riot over black kids being bused to white schools and Boston still has problems with racism. Adam Jones having a banana thrown at him in Fenway, which was terrible, it was only a footnote; that story should've been talked about more. But, when Cavs fans burned LeBron's jersey after he went to Miami (which I didn't condone) that was on the national news for days and it's still talked about now, even though he came back to Cleveland and won the Cavs a championship.

NYPD has had a long history of problems with racial profiling and "Stop and Frisk" but it gets glossed over, You'll never see a Coastal city ranked worst in anything on any publications Top 10 list. But, they're quick to mention anything negative about the Rust Belt and/or anything from its past like Cleveland's river catching on fire in the '60s.
Stop and Frisk in NYC is literally the poster child for racist policing, meanwhile The Cleveland PD is under DOJ investigation for a pattern of excessive force used against POC and is not talked about.

Bostons image is tarnished by the Bussing Riots of 1974 although many cities have had riots since, Clevelands reputation was tarnished by a fire on a river when at the time it wasn't super uncommon, it's life.

And anyway I didn't really mean in real life I meant in context of Urbanist communities like this site.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
But more people spend more time either Downtown or in areas like River North, Grant Park or Wrigleyville. The White Sox ball park is surrounded by projects.
Tourists don't go to see the White Sox. Nobody cares. Not even Chicagoans.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:59 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Stop and Frisk in NYC is literally the poster child for racist policing, meanwhile The Cleveland PD is under DOJ investigation for a pattern of excessive force used against POC and is not talked about.

Bostons image is tarnished by the Bussing Riots of 1974 although many cities have had riots since, Clevelands reputation was tarnished by a fire on a river when at the time it wasn't super uncommon, it's life.

And anyway I didn't really mean in real life I meant in context of Urbanist communities like this site.
When you tell people you're from Boston in Cleveland, I promise you nobody will say anything about 1974 bus riots.

I, however, as a Clevelander in Boston have been reminded of the Cuyahoga River fire countless times. It's like people here don't know anything about the place aside from stuff that happened 25 years before they were born (in my peer group at least).

People on the coasts, for all their outward "cosmopolitanism", in reality know very little about anywhere outside of city centers in Boston, NYC, LA, SF, DC and then some select European cities like Paris and London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City