Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 AM

7 posts, read 6,604 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a student at a large public university in the Midwest planning to work in business analytics upon my graduation, and after growing up in the Pittsburgh area and spending my college years a big further west I am pretty desperate to get out. I am planning to graduate in fall 2018, and have been looking at Phoenix(probably Scottsdale area), Boston, Salt Lake City, Nashville, Austin, and Dallas as possible post graduation destinations, since they all seem to have fairly young populations, strong local economies, and either have much better weather than my current location or the city has enough amenities to make up for it . As someone who has no absolutely no connections to any of these cities (and has only been to Boston and Phoenix and absolutely loved both) which of these cities seem like they would be the best city to move to, considering job opportunities and quality of life? Additionally, should I be attempting to either contact alumni from my college in the area, or try to find an internship in whichever for next summer in order to get my foot in the door and to build up my professional network in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 06:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
well i think its hard to find a job in Austin because of all the UT grads wanting to stay there no matter what....it also lowers wages.Austin has a high COL for Texas.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Thanks. I figured most employers in the city would recruit UT first, but I didn't know if it would be harder to find a good job there compared to any of the other cities I mentioned, as all of them besides Nashville have close proximity to either 1 or 2 large colleges, or a significant number of private ones afaik.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:38 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG2000 View Post
Thanks. I figured most employers in the city would recruit UT first, but I didn't know if it would be harder to find a good job there compared to any of the other cities I mentioned, as all of them besides Nashville have close proximity to either 1 or 2 large colleges, or a significant number of private ones afaik.
Netime.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:42 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
SLC would probably be a good option from what I've read.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 AM

187 posts, read 214,389 times
Dallas, Denver, Nashville, Seattle are going to be your major places where you'll have jobs options tossed at you if you studied some kind of business, accounting, finance, or IT.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Honestly any major metro like that will probably be fine to find a job with a college education at this point. Especially if you studied any kind of engineering or business.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM

Since my degree will be in business with an IT specialization I suppose that bodes well for me moving to any of these cities then. I'm just worried that wherever I am applying to will see my address is halfway across the country and they will not want to be recruiting someone so far away unless the applicamt pool is thin or I stand out extremely well compared to the other applicants

Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
The DC metro area is among the few strongest IT-Business job markets in the country and would suggest looking there, especially if wanting to work in an area with a synergy of similar positions and networking opportunity to build a career more on the fast track.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,296,787 times
1. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI

Best industry: Technology
Top job: Software Engineer
Median rent: $1600

2. Kansas City, MO-KS

Best industry: Business
Top job: Account Manager
Median rent: $850

3. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA

Best industry: Technology
Top job: Project Manager
Median rent: $1950
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City