Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Native speakers of which of the following languages would find it easiest to learn English
Finnish 17 85.00%
Swahili 1 5.00%
Turkish 1 5.00%
Japanese 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

Native speakers of which of these following languages would have the easiest time learning English:

Finnish
Swahili
Turkish
Japanese

Also please explain how you came to that conclusion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 AM

After some thought, I think Japanese speakers would have the easiest time learning English compared to the other languages above given equal instruction and exposure because despite the fact that the phonology and grammar of Japanese is very different from English and would be quite challenging for a Japanese speaker, Japanese has literally thousands of English loan words that the other languages above lack to a large extent. This would be a huge advantage to learning and remembering vocabulary.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
After some thought, I think Japanese speakers would have the easiest time learning English compared to the other languages above given equal instruction and exposure because despite the fact that the phonology and grammar of Japanese is very different from English and would be quite challenging for a Japanese speaker, Japanese has literally thousands of English loan words that the other languages above lack to a large extent. This would be a huge advantage to learning and remembering vocabulary.
You don't think Finnish have English loan words? I don't think this is a factor. Finnish has literally tens of thousands of Germanic loan words, but it doesn't mean that learning Swedish or German is a piece of cake.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Of course it's Finnish.
English is gonna help you the most in Finland out of the four options, BY FAR.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:54 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Finnish obviously.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Of course it's Finnish.
English is gonna help you the most in Finland out of the four options, BY FAR.
But why is that?

I speak/read Japanese moderately well so I'm very familiar with the ways in which it differs from English. And I know it is certainly true that Japanese has thousands of English loan-words, even if their meanings have often been slightly changed.

I know a bit about the grammar and phonology of Finnish and Turkish, but very little about Swahili. I do know that all four languages are equally non-Indo-European and unrelated to English. I've been thinking about this question since yesterday and without doing more research, I have no idea which to pick. So I'm curious about your reasons.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
But why is that?

I speak/read Japanese moderately well so I'm very familiar with the ways in which it differs from English. And I know it is certainly true that Japanese has thousands of English loan-words, even if their meanings have often been slightly changed.

I know a bit about the grammar and phonology of Finnish and Turkish, but very little about Swahili. I do know that all four languages are equally non-Indo-European and unrelated to English. I've been thinking about this question since yesterday and without doing more research, I have no idea which to pick. So I'm curious about your reasons.
It's not a linguistic issue, but a cultural and geographical one. Finland is one of the Nordics, which are also known as the five countries that speak the most perfect English outside the Anglophone. Japan is in East Asia, a region where most people speak horrendous English.

Japanese has thousands of English loan-words for sure, but the pronunciation of Katakana sounds very far from English.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You don't think Finnish have English loan words? I don't think this is a factor. Finnish has literally tens of thousands of Germanic loan words, but it doesn't mean that learning Swedish or German is a piece of cake.
I think it does help at least in learning the vocabulary but obviously not learning other parts of the language like grammar and phonology. For example if someone is a native Swahili speaker and they were learning Arabic, it would help a lot with vocabulary since Swahili has many Arabic loan words compared with a native Japanese speaker learning Swahili.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's not a linguistic issue, but a cultural and geographical one. Finland is one of the Nordics, which are also known as the five countries that speak the most perfect English outside the Anglophone. Japan is in East Asia, a region where most people speak horrendous English.

Japanese has thousands of English loan-words for sure, but the pronunciation of Katakana sounds very far from English.
In a general sense you are correct as Finns have a lot more exposure to the English language from a very young age than the other groups which helps tremendously with their learning but in my example, I said assuming that each native language speaker has the same amount of exposure and instruction as the others.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Yes, I am interested in the linguistic side only. Of course if it is a question of cultural exposure, Finnish clearly has an edge. No need to roll eyes.

But assuming a native speaker of each of those four languages, raised as monoglot with no exposure to English...? (other than loan-words which have become assimiliated to the native language).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World