Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:32 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
There's no logical way the OP can consider Seattle and Denver tier 1 but not Atlanta.
And Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:41 AM

30 posts, read 22,762 times
Granted I am biased, but St. Louis has alot of urban amenities and qualities due to the fact that is a legacy city. Great universities, light rail, a great COL, and dense urban walkable neighborhoods. In fact i think that is one of its greatest strengths, the Central West End is about as dense of a neighborhood you can find in the midwest outside of Chicago. Downtown is moving in the right direction but still needs some work. If it were able to make some progress it would jump up on some of these polls.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl7 View Post
Granted I am biased, but St. Louis has alot of urban amenities and qualities due to the fact that is a legacy city. Great universities, light rail, a great COL, and dense urban walkable neighborhoods. In fact i think that is one of its greatest strengths, the Central West End is about as dense of a neighborhood you can find in the midwest outside of Chicago. Downtown is moving in the right direction but still needs some work. If it were able to make some progress it would jump up on some of these polls.
According to Wiki West End has 7,7000 ppsm, there are several neighborhoods in the midwest that are denser than that.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:33 PM

192 posts, read 242,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl7 View Post
Saint Louis has some amazing neighborhood's, that's for sure. I've had some magical times there. It's by far my favorite of the river cities.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Denver seems to be a popular destination for the urban elites of California and the Northeast.....

Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I see your point, but when people criticize a place for being "white", they typically mean that it's not diverse, welcoming and inclusive. While people on this board rarely complain about cities being too black, they hint at it through coded speech, and there have been plenty of posts were people overtlu claimed that Miami, for example, was too Latino.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ten-citys.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memph...s-decline.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...baltimore.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/detro...s-livonia.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-black-11.html

Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 PM

760 posts, read 883,028 times
IMO, Denver isn't really an "urban" enviroment like the other cities. Minneapolis, Atlanta, San Diego, and Phoenix are a few notches above Denver when it comes to their urbanity and amenities. Denver is cool, but it's mostly because of the mountains and natural enviroment. I am always hearing a never ending stream of complaints from my Chicago transplant friends... "It's too small", "It's basically on an island", "People are too laid back", "you have to drive EVERYWHERE", "The food sucks", "Night life is too limited, and only exists in pockets", etc...either that, or people from Chicago just love to complain.

Folks from Texas cities and LA seem to feel more at home here than people from Chicago or the North East (which are very urban)...at least in my observations.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Are you black? Go to Atlanta.
I get so TIRED of people telling all black people to move to Atlanta. To think that all black people are a monolithic group that would love Atlanta---or even fit in well in Atlanta---just based on the fact that they are black is not only myopic, but is also pretty darn insulting.

Heck, to quite a few black folks, the hype around Atlanta being such a "Black Mecca" is tired and played out anyway, and has been for quite a few years now.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 08-30-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 02:27 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
According to Wiki West End has 7,7000 ppsm, there are several neighborhoods in St. Louis that are denser than that.
Changed your post a little.

The CWE in St. Louis is one of the best neighborhoods in the Midwest, but some things that make it great like the variety of housing options and the massive, massive hospitals/research complexes there hurt its population density on paper.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
As someone who has lived in cities of various "tiers" in various countries, obviously it depends why you are leaving and what you looking for (and how you are separating your tiers in the first place) Fragile egos aside, there are a lot of things in some of these cities that are better than "Tier 1" cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City